Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 19,833 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am looking for your opinions of what you think about living in Mimosa Bay. We are a military family moving to the area from Atlanta, and love the homes in there for the cost. We aren't use to HOA's or Covenents so that worries me a bit, so I wanted to hear from residents the good bad and ugly. I hope its mostly good of course. I've read the other posts I could find on here in regards to mimosa bay but they're outdated back in 2010 when the lots were mostly empty. Is it a good buy, is there kids in the neighborhoods, my kids are 6,7 and 1, They are very social and love to play with neighbor friends, i am wanting to move somewhere where they can still enjoy this. How is the feeling of living there, i just want to hear it all Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Buy

Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
We are a retired couple living in Mimosa Bay. There are many kids here, and lots of military families in the same situation. Your kids would have lots of playmates, and there are many stay-at-home moms. The Dixon ES is decent, but not great.

The HOA is reasonable with rules, and the yearly $750 fee is worth it. There are nice social activities every few months. A Christmas party is coming up on Saturday. There is an outdoor pool and a workout room in the clubhouse which is decent. I think you would like it here.

There are a couple of nuisances worth mentioning. You will hear helicopters and artillery noises, often at night, from the base.

The other nuisance is there is an abandoned development beside us called Alligator Bay. A few local men are trespassing on the property and they ride around there in ATV's and shoot at the trees. They may shoot for up to 5 hours at a time on weekends, and you can hear gunfire all over the development. We have complained to the sheriff many times, but the deputies say they can't do anything because the land isn't posted. The shooters are technically far enough away from the houses to comply with the law (over 500 feet away). However, we worry about a possible accident from stray gunfire.

We hope the abandoned property will eventually be sold by the county for unpaid taxes, and some responsible developer will take over. But that may be months or years away. If you visit try to come on Saturday or Sunday afternoon which is when the shooters are active, and judge for yourself whether it bothers you. BTW, the lots on the west side of Mimosa Bay Drive are furthest away from the gunfire in the Alligator Bay development.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-30-2012 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
No personal experience with Mimosa Bay, but I'd suggest initially moving onto base housing and then checking out it and other areas. I have never been a big a fan of base housing, but the private-public venture where civilians manage the housing has been great. Also, I find that the high school/MTV politics and scenarios of the junior housing in Tarawa Terrace/Midway Park don't exist for the senior housing areas on Lejeune Proper. AMCC has six months lease giving you time to explore the area and take care of closing costs and the community in Berkeley manor/Watkins Grove/Watkins Village/Paradise Point is awesome. Especially for children. My kids are out playing in the neighborhood all day, unless they are here at the house with a gang of other children. A lot of after school programs and activities with the DOD schools and MCCS. My son's Pack is the largest in the state daughter has a intramural basketball game at the middle school tonight. part of an after school program (Hoops and Dreams), she does.

Goldenage lives in Sneads Ferry and no doubt will post soon to offer insight on that area, but seriously look in and consider moving on base in the short term if you are of senior enough rank to live in the on-base housing. Another thing to consider living off base is the commute in the morning, (which was the primary factor in me giving base housing a try for the first time since I was first married over a decade ago), it is horrendous. It typically takes an hour or more for those that live off base to get to work, same thing leaving base in the evening.

https://www.atlanticmcc.com/
//www.facebook.com/AtlanticMCC

Edit: looks like she already responded while I was typing!

Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckwheeler09 View Post
Buy
DR Horton just started building here, and they offer budget-priced houses. Savvy is also geared toward the budget side of the market, while H&H Homes has a slightly higher price but better quality, IMHO. One example is that H&H puts two heat pumps in their two-story houses while Savvy only puts one heat pump, even in their 3400 SF houses. Savvy is probably $5000 cheaper than a comparable H&H house. We bought from H&H, and have been very happy.

I'd suggest the lots on the west side of Mimosa Drive to be away from the local shooters. DR Horton and Savvy are both building there.

Another slight negative is that the school bus doesn't come inside the gates to pick up kids, since it is a private road. Most people drive their elementary kids to school in the AM, and pick them up at the outside gate in the afternoon. The older kids walk in from the bus stop.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-30-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Thank you all for your thoughts. We have decided most likely against MB. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina