Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,122,068 times

Advertisements

As reported by WITN, Kinston business closings will be affecting over 87 workers. The US Post Office mail sorting facility will be closing, affecting 87 workers. Additionally Staples closed their location in Kinston on Jan 5.

Kinston Mail Processing Facility To Soon Close

Kinston Staples Location Closing January 5th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM

196 posts, read 577,499 times
Default On the other hand, NC is among the top 20 states recovering from recession

20. North Carolina
> Unemployment decline from recession peak: 2.1 percentage points (tied-19th highest)
> Peak unemployment: 11.4%
> Current unemployment: 9.3% (5th highest)
> GDP growth 2011: 1.8% (15th highest)
North Carolina had one of the nation’s highest increases in unemployment during the recession. The unemployment rate rose 6.5 percentage points between November 2007 and January 2010. In that time, the state lost nearly 230,000 jobs, many of which it has since recovered. In all, between November 2007 and October 2011, the number of employed workers in the state fell by just 30,000 — although, the unemployment rate remained among the highest in the U.S. because the labor force grew by 4.2% in that time. Certain metro areas in the state have fared especially poorly. The unemployment rate in the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton area was 10% in October, while Rocky Mount’s unemployment rate was 11.7% — among the worst in the nation.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

35. Maryland
> Unemployment decline from recession peak: 1.3 percentage points (tied-34th highest)
> Peak unemployment: 8.0%
> Current unemployment: 6.7% (19th lowest)
> GDP growth 2011: 0.9% (21st lowest)
The housing market crash hit Maryland harder than any other state in the Northeast. Between the second quarter of 2007 and the second quarter of this year, the median home price in the state fell by 27.2%. In the past year, while home prices began to recover nationwide, Maryland’s housing market continued to dip and is projected to decline at least through the midpoint of next year. The state’s job market has also been slow to recover. Going into the recession, Maryland had an unemployment rate of 3.3%, the eighth lowest in the country. The rate peaked at 8% in December 2009, and remained at that level until March 2010, and has only fallen back to 6.7% to date. However, part of the small decline in the state’s unemployment rate has to do with the large increase in the state’s labor force — the number of people employed in the state has actually almost returned to prerecession levels.

Read more: The States That Recovered Most (and Least) from the Recession - 24/7 Wall St. The States That Recovered Most (and Least) from the Recession - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:56 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,915,609 times
this may delay mail to my neck of the woods

Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
20. North Carolina
> Unemployment decline from recession peak: 2.1 percentage points (tied-19th highest)
Reduction in unemployment in NC has been accomplished much the same way it has been reduced elsewhere. Not through higher employment numbers, but rather through not counting those that have given up all hope of finding a job in the current down economy. Current increases in monthly employment are barely enough to keep up with the population growth. Stop being a shill for the MSM and do some independent research.

The big number to look at is the number of people receiving food assistance. It is still increasing on a monthly basis. If the economy were really improving that number would be declining, not increasing.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 AM

You preach gloom and doom, I merely posted something from the Wall Street Journal. You are always a ray of sunshine there Richard, you rarely if ever post anything positive.

Your chart is meaningless as it has no context so your "independent" research is taken from the site of some sportscaster in Cleveland? There's a reliable source for you.

Not sure what your "shill" allegation refers to. I guess your pontification is challenged and you feel a need to lash out. Find some therapy. You used to be in Maryland, I currently DO and found the WSJ article confirms what is occurring here and why I look forward to living in North Carolina.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
You preach gloom and doom, I merely posted something from the Wall Street Journal. You are always a ray of sunshine there Richard, you rarely if ever post anything positive.

Your chart is meaningless as it has no context so your "independent" research is taken from the site of some sportscaster in Cleveland? There's a reliable source for you.

Not sure what your "shill" allegation refers to. I guess your pontification is challenged and you feel a need to lash out. Find some therapy. You used to be in Maryland, I currently DO and found the WSJ article confirms what is occurring here and why I look forward to living in North Carolina.
I have posted plenty of positive comments. Unfortunately, at this point in time, I can find none to post about the economy.

What sort of context would you like to see with the chart?

The shill allegation refers to you just preaching the BS that's fed to you by the MSM, of which the WSJ is a large part. You only read what they want you to read and take it as gospel.

I am very well aware that the economy of Maryland is doing just fine, albeit, housing, not so much. When you have the Federal government paying over a million minions way too much money to do a job they were never supposed to, you will inflate that local economy.

When you move to NC drop me a line. I'll show you how the rest of the country lives outside of the financial centers. I'll show you factory after factory and plant after plant that has closed with no hope of ever opening again.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 PM

And MSM means what? You create things to make yourself seem knowledgeable? Sorry I don't spend all day trolling around extremist blogs, right or left. The Wall Street Journal is generally considered more moderate than most media. And it was a ranking of all 50 states you nitwit.

I preached nothing but offered up some additional data. No editorializing in my initial post, unlike yours. But if you don't like the data then by all means demean the source. But then again you appear to be a shill for some extreme fringe sources.

Context? How about what the chart is supposed to refer to? Not apparent other than a bar graph. Source? State? County? US? Sticking a bar graph in your post doesn't support your argument. You create an economic indicator out of thin air to suit your needs.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,915,609 times
What's surprisng about Kinston, if you drive through the area, is how many jobs/employers it still has. Especially in manufacturing. Names like Dupont, and Moen. New businesses opening, like Sanderson Farms a couple of years ago. The thing is, how few of the people that work at these places actually live in Kinston.

I wonder how the post office closing will affect new companies looking at the area. Having a mail hub had to be a consideration.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,779,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I wonder how the post office closing will affect new companies looking at the area. Having a mail hub had to be a consideration.
I don't know about that. I think most companies have learned that the USPS, with its service decline the past 10 years, isn't always the best option in the shipping business.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
And MSM means what? You create things to make yourself seem knowledgeable? Sorry I don't spend all day trolling around extremist blogs, right or left. The Wall Street Journal is generally considered more moderate than most media. And it was a ranking of all 50 states you nitwit.

I preached nothing but offered up some additional data. No editorializing in my initial post, unlike yours. But if you don't like the data then by all means demean the source. But then again you appear to be a shill for some extreme fringe sources.

Context? How about what the chart is supposed to refer to? Not apparent other than a bar graph. Source? State? County? US? Sticking a bar graph in your post doesn't support your argument. You create an economic indicator out of thin air to suit your needs.
MSM is Main Stream Media.

The Food Stamp data chart is for the nation. The data is lifted right from the USDA website. The specific chart is here: SNAP Current Participation - Persons

I am not a shill for anyone. I verify all of the facts before I post anything. The chart shows state by state and has the national total at the bottom. You'll probably be surprised to find out that the number of SNAP participants in Maryland is increasing. How is that possible in an economy that's supposed to be getting better? Shouldn't the numbers be going down?

If you want I can also post the labor force participation rate. It is a much better indicator than the fudged unemployment numbers that the government gives out. In a strengthening economy, the participation rate increases. In a weakening economy, it decreases. Guess which way it's going now.

Here it is, directly from the BLS.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

The truth about the economy is out there. Use your computer to do some research on your own, instead of relying on others to spoon feed you data that makes things look all nice and cheery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina