Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 26,982 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice on Wilmington High Schools. I am from the NY/PA area and am considering relocating to Wilmington in these next few months.

Which high schools would you recommend? I am open to surrounding areas as well, as long as it is not too much of a commute to Wilmington.

I know that the schools in Wilmington operate on a block schedule. Have any of you had to deal with transitioning your children midyear to this type of system? We don't have block scheduling up here.

Also, what are the better areas of town to live in? I am looking for a safe area where my children can play outside.

I would appreciate any and all input. Thanks in advance.

Mich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michy13 View Post
Also, what are the better areas of town to live in? I am looking for a safe area where my children can play outside.
The public high school with the best rating in the area is Topsail HS in Hampstead. Most of the developments off Highway 17 in Hampstead are build in loops or are dead-end roads. Some are country club developments. They are very safe for children to play outside.

Wilmington itself has many nice residential areas and it is generally very safe. However, the public high schools have average ratings, and you might consider a private high school if you want to live in Wilmington. The Porter's Neck and Landfall communities are beautiful country club areas. Landfall is gated and very safe, but isn't especially child-orientd.

Regarding the block schedule question, you might start a separate thread to attract attention. I know there are a few parents posting here.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply "goldenage1". I have heard that Topsail is the best option. I guess it's not that much of a commute to Wilmington. So, do you think that the Wilmington schools would be sub-standard to our schools up north? Education is so important to me. I would take the extra commute if it means my children will have a better education. Do you know of any affordable communities in the Topsail area that rent?
Thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
So, do you think that the Wilmington schools would be sub-standard to our schools up north?..... Do you know of any affordable communities in the Topsail area that rent?
I may get swatted for this, but I think the kids are not pressured enough. If you lived next door to the beach in a lovely climate, why would a kid want to concentrate on school? I think a conscientious parent is the best way to ensure a good education.

I use the ratings on Greatschools.org and they use the state's standards for achievement. So when a Wilmington high school rates a 5 out of 10, they are average compared to the rest of the state. I would also look at the curriculum at Topsail High-- EG how many foreign languages do they teach. Do they have advanced placement science courses, etc.

Regarding affordable rentals in Hampstead, there are houses renting for between $750-1400/month. A couple on golf courses go for $1600-1800. There are also a few apartments and mobile homes if you need less expensive. For example, there's a 3-BR modular home renting for $795. It's in a nice community called Topsail Greens. Most of the Topsail Beach listings would be seasonal rentals, so stick with Hampstead.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-14-2013 at 12:02 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I may get swatted for this, but I think the kids are not pressured enough. If you lived next door to the beach in a lovely climate, why would a kid want to concentrate on school? I think a conscientious parent is the best way to ensure a good education.
i think wilmington in general is like this, a city of underachievers. even if you've never surfed a day in your life, the surfing culture and mentality is pervasive.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Jumping off of what Goldenage said, the potential for your kids to get an outstanding education exists in the schools in the Wilmington area. By that I mean they have the courses, they have the curriculum. BUT this is not pushed on them. Most, if not all, of the school system have multiple education tracks that you declare as a freshman, if you don't pick the advanced college prep track you only have to take the basic courses needed to graduate. Even the basic college prep track just means you take an English, math, science and SS all four years and throws in a foreign language. But there are courses avialble where your kid can have several college credits by the time they graduate.

There are even schools that will have you attending HS for 5 years but graduating with an associate, though you can still graduate in four years without one.

WECHS-Home
Wilmington Early College High School - Castle Hayne, North Carolina - NC - School overview
Pender Early College High School
Pender Early College High School - Burgaw, North Carolina - NC - School overview

Edit: The two best traditional high schools in Wilmington proper are Bear and Hoggard, with Laney (Michale Jordan's alma mater) being just your typical high school nothing horrible, but nothing commendable but does offer the opportunity for individual excellence.

http://www.greatschools.org/north-ca...r-High-School/

http://www.greatschools.org/north-ca...d-High-School/

Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 AM

I looked over the curriculum at Topsail. On the plus side, they have Advanced Placement courses in Biology and Environmental Science, and honors or AP in Physics and Chemistry. Also Honors in English. On the negative side, the only foreign language class I saw was Spanish.

Topsail could be a very good place to get an education if you child can avoid peer pressure to goof off or skip school to go to the beach. But it does not have the level of great offerings I would see in Montgomery County Maryland (where i lived before).

Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM

Thanks all. I searched school test scores (great schools and school digger) and actually Bear and Hoggard High schools have better ratings than Topsail High. Is Pender early college a private school?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Is Pender early college a private school?
No, it is a public special program that has the students attending a community college part time while they complete the high school diploma. The admission is selective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina