Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 29,537 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving down to the coastal area of North Carolina in the next few months. I'm aiming to stay in the northern section of the state, hoping to be within 1-1 &1/2 drive to the Norfolk Virginia area. Can anyone recommend safe towns around there? I'm used to the "small-town feel" and living near the water.

Also, how bad is the employment situation down there? I have a BA in Criminology (not good for much) with experience in counseling, community outreach, veterans/military issues, higher-education program planning, and financial services. Would it be unrealistic to try to find employment in the area? I definitely won't be moving until I find employment but I'm hoping to get some feedback.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:54 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreStoreGal View Post
Also, how bad is the employment situation down there? I have a BA in Criminology (not good for much) with experience in counseling, community outreach, veterans/military issues, higher-education program planning, and financial services. Would it be unrealistic to try to find employment in the area?
You are describing the northeast corner of the state. I had collected some statistics from the last state chart (November 2012). The unemployment rates for three counties were not that bad: Gates (6.9), Camden (7.2) and Currituck (5.5). I suspect part of the reason is than many are employed in the Virginia Beach area, or would not be there unless they had a job. The only towns of any size are Edenton or Elizabeth City. Elizabeth City has a state university and the Coast Guard base. Those counties (Pesquotank and Chowan) had unemployment rates around 10%, per here.: http://www.wral.com/news/state/page/...ployment+rates

With your background, I would look at federal government jobs, county or city jobs. You could also check the community service agencies, but be aware that the state has cut many budgets. Realistically, I think your prospects are better in Virginia Beach.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM

196 posts, read 576,195 times
Keep in mind a lot of federal agencies are likely to impose hiring freezes over the next few months. Several DoD agencies have already done so.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
Keep in mind a lot of federal agencies are likely to impose hiring freezes over the next few months. Several DoD agencies have already done so.
Good point. The OP's job hunt is not impossible, but more difficult. Currituck County has mostly tourism oriented jobs, and other areas are agricultural except for the small cities.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
If you want to stay near the Tidewater, VA area, then why not consider Virginia itself? Northeastern NC is, as stated, very rural and not much going on except tourist stuff. SE Virginia has more in the way of "city".

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM

196 posts, read 576,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you want to stay near the Tidewater, VA area, then why not consider Virginia itself? Northeastern NC is, as stated, very rural and not much going on except tourist stuff. SE Virginia has more in the way of "city".
I do know a number of people who live and work in Norfolk who are moving into North Carolina for the lower housing prices and generally lower cost of living. Several are doing that in preparation for retirement.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Camden Co is a safe, suburban type county that is still low cost and becoming a spot for families to move to while commuting to Tidewater area.

If you like small towns and can find a job, Edenton may be ideal. The mill village area can be affordable as can some Historic District areas not right on the water. Hertford may work as well, nice little village right on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina