Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 24,231 times

Advertisements

What is the atmosphere like to land a job in a restaurant as a bartender/server? I am 40s, very experienced in all areas of restaurant from kitchen to bar. Currently work in a brewery pub that hosts great music, great beer and great food with a very large customer volume. Husband=high school English teacher and musician. How bad are the prospects there for these occupations? Also, is there a musicians "wanted" site other than craigslist? Thanks-we have vacationed there and LOVE it and are getting tired of winter so daydreaming is in order!~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkskippy View Post
What is the atmosphere like to land a job in a restaurant as a bartender/server? I am 40s, very experienced in all areas of restaurant from kitchen to bar.
Which town are you speaking about? If it's Wilmington, I imagine there is a large turnover.

Note that, we have a new Republican Governor who is likely to want to cut budgets. For teaching jobs you would have to check each specific county's web site. I had been told there is a good amount of turnover in the Onslow County schools, as the military spouses are frequently transferred out. Onslow had also held a recruiting fair.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM

I was speaking of Wilmington and beaches. Thank you for your reply. I know several teachers were cut from my husband's district last year (he is one of the teachers with seniority in his department even though he has only been there 12 years) and a few found positions in NC. They opted for the Triangle area because the cost of living was better than the coast, but we would be looking at the coast since that is where we would eventually like to retire and the cost of living would not be a huge factor as we have no kids and would pay cash for a small house (we are savers!).

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
but we would be looking at the coast since that is where we would eventually like to retire
Your husband should check out the certification (or licensing) requirements for teachers and whether his retirement seniority would transfer. Then do a cost estimate of what a teaching job would pay if he found one. I suspect he might be financially better off if he sticks it out up north until he is ready to retire.

At any rate, the counties you might look at are Brunswick, Pender, New Hanover and Onslow. Other beach counties are Carteret, Pamlico, Hyde, Dare, Currituck, etc. Further inland are Columbus, Bladen, Sampson and Jones. Here's an example of the jobs site for New Hanover County: Look for Jobs - North Carolina Public School Jobs

This also seems to be a state-wide job site: http://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/Home

Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Also, is there a musicians "wanted" site other than craigslist?
You might look through this. It is the weekly entertainment paper for Wilmington: The Cape Fear’s Alternative Voice for over 25 Years |

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,198 times
It has been rumored that there are more restaurants/bars in the Wilmington per square mile than anywhere else in the country outside of Manhattan.

So there is a ton of options, however...I have been told not to expect a high pay. Seems you have to compete with the UNCW kids and Cape Fear Community College kids for jobs, not to mention Wilmington is a place youth like to come to that don't have a job. So there are jobs and lots of those that want them as well.

As for teaching, it is a growing area so there is a demand for more teachers. Wilmington is a destination place so there are a lot of people who want to move or move there and fight over the same jobs. Onslow County is not as much a destination place, so a job there (while living in Hampstead) may be a more viable option to start with.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM

Thanks for all of the great info. One of the things that draws us to the are is the restaurant scene. I think for every place that wants staff that is young and hip there is another that would love to have staff with experience, maturity, and a big lack of drama!lso thanks for the entertainment links. They will help us plan ourspring vacation down there! If anyone thinks of anything else I would love to hear it.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Just returned

I just spent a week in Carolina Beach and more than ever I am interested in any other advice people would have re: restaurant and teaching positions. More about us to help with your advice-no kids and we would be in a positive situation selling our house here and buying a similar property there.

On a side matter-is there much of an Irish Music Scene +/- Wilmington? Here there are a couple of festivals every year within a two hour drive that my husband's band plays in. Thank you for your comments

Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,198 times
There is The Harp near downtown Wilmington which has got a good local following and good food. There are a few other Irish Pubs in town, Fat Tony's downtown, Fibbers at Wrightsville Beach, Hoplight at Carolina Beach and Longstreet's downtown.

Paddy's Hollow has been in the Cotton Exchange downtown for a long time...haven't been there lately.

There is a St Patricks Day parade, but its nothing compared to what happens in Charleston and Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina