Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
we are considering a move to Havelock. I've never been to NC and never heard of Havelock until last week, so I am interested in any perspectives on what it is like to to live there. We are an older couple so our children are grown, but we've not yet reached retirement age..... Is it a well-cared for community, or is it a rundown community, or both? I am looking for all the usual info.
The only reason for going to Havelock is that you have a job offer there. While most communities look cared for, it is organized around the strip shopping along I-70.

There are probably a lot of rental homes as there will be many transients in the military. I suggest checking MilitaryByOwner.com if you want to rent a home.

The pluses are that it is not far to drive to the beach. There are a few tourist attractions in New Bern, and you could find recreational boating, fishing and hunting nearby.

The negatives: the summer weather is hot and humid (probably similar to Arkansas). There will be numerous mosquitoes unless you spray your yard. There are fire ants, ticks and other critters. There are snakes, but probably not in suburban yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:55 PM

720 posts, read 805,730 times
Default Job move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Why Havelock? NC is big state with lots of nicer places than Havelock. You should visit NC and spend some time checking out various areas.
Thank you for responding.

Havelock for a job on the base move. Military bases are almost never in the nicest places in a state, unfortunately.

I start with the community closest to a base and then work out from there, looking for what is best suited for us, without a long commute, so I've started with asking about Havelock.

Thanks again.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:05 PM

Default ~sigh~

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The only reason for going to Havelock is that you have a job offer there. While most communities look cared for, it is organized around the strip shopping along I-70.

There are probably a lot of rental homes as there will be many transients in the military. I suggest checking MilitaryByOwner.com if you want to rent a home.

The pluses are that it is not far to drive to the beach. There are a few tourist attractions in New Bern, and you could find recreational boating, fishing and hunting nearby.

The negatives: the summer weather is hot and humid (probably similar to Arkansas). There will be numerous mosquitoes unless you spray your yard. There are fire ants, ticks and other critters. There are snakes, but probably not in suburban yards.

Thank you for the info.

We won't be buying a home because I refuse to buy another home I have to stay behind to sell when we go through job moves. It's not worth it to me anymore, and it isn't financially worth it now that homes don't appreciate like they used to and we don't know how long we will be in a place. I don't like renting, but if I have to keep moving, doing so is less of a weight around my neck when it is time to move on.

I was afraid that was going to be the info on creepy-crawlers and mosquitoes. Unfortunately, biting bugs love me.

A community built around interstate strip malls sounds depressing.

Are there any more charming communities nearby that won't mean a long commute to the military base?

Thanks for the website recommendation.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Is this the best place for me to be posting my questions, or should I have started a new thread?

I thought I shouldn't add any redundant threads, so revived this one instead of starting a new one, but I don't know if that was the right or best choice.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Are there any more charming communities nearby that won't mean a long commute to the military base?
I'd suggest either Morehead City or New Bern as more interesting places. Morehead City is on the water next to the ocean, with all the sports an restaurants typical of a beach town. New Bern has an attractive historic downtown, and has waterfront on two rivers. It also has various festival throughout the year and has a good arts community for a small town. Both are more interesting than Havelock.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 PM

398 posts, read 497,943 times
As usual, Goldenage1 nailed it. MC and NB are your choices.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I disagree that MHC and NB are better choices.

Living in Havelock, or even better Newport gets you about 1/2 way to both small towns, with no commute. The biggest downer on Havelock is the 5 or six miles of US 70 with way too many stoplights. I commute from New Bern to north of Havelock every day, not bad, but I don't have to deal with all those lights. With Beach traffice on Thurdsays and Fridays, and the base traffic getting out in droves, there is major traffic, for certain periods of the day, for a very very very small town.

Newport is just east of Havelock, would be a good place to rent, no so sure buying would be good there. MHC is a much cooler place to live, but you have a bit of a commute and Havelock lights to deal with. With Newport you have a much shorter commute, but the ever growing retail in MHC is pretty close, too.

Ultimately there will be a bypass around Havelock which will not help with the lights, but will reduce the traffic. You might want to look in the Tucker Creek Community. Good schools and there are a number of homes for rent, but on balance, I would focus on Newport.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina