Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,292 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving from Long Island to Leland this summer with my family. My kids are college age so I am looking to be near the local colleges and also want an area with good primary schools. I am looking for suggestions on which communities to focus on. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbdr View Post
I am planning on moving from Long Island to Leland this summer with my family. My kids are college age so I am looking to be near the local colleges and also want an area with good primary schools. I am looking for suggestions on which communities to focus on.
This is the first time in my memory that anyone has asked about elementary schools in Leland. Most people are asking about retirement communities. According to greatschools.org, there are two K-5 schools in Leland, and they have nearly identical ratings. I'd say that's a toss-up, so move where-ever you like.

The Brunswick County Community College is in Bolivia, which is about 18 miles from Brunswick Forest. St James and Winding River are closer to the college. The college is centrally located in the county. It has a good indoor swimming pool, which is available to the public. The other school of major interest is UNCW in Wilmington, to which a student would have to drive. I don't think the location of the colleges makes a huge difference which community you focus on. So, please yourselves and your budget.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-08-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM

3,089 posts, read 4,898,787 times
Don't forget Cape Fear Community College, which is around 10,000 now I believe. Its right downtown Wilmington just across the bridge and a very interesting and emerging campus. It is the 4th largest Comm Coll in NC last I heard. Most folks from Leland would use CFCC, but Brunswick has good programs as well.

I had heard that Belville Elem was considered pretty good awhile ago, I believe it is the only year round school in that area...there are also apparently a couple of charter schools in the Leland area that are fairly new....someone may have more info about them.

As always keep in mind that the Leland Area (LA), which includes Belville was a couple of thousand people in the 1990 census that is now probably approaching 15K because of all the new subdivisions, however most of the subdivisions are northern transplants without kids....so the schools still somewhat function as they did in 1990 with a few thousand in that area and the high school is more of a regional high school for the entire Northern end of the county.

Last edited by HP91; 04-09-2013 at 07:58 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
....so the schools still somewhat function as they did in 1990 with a few thousand in that area and the high schools is more of a regional high school for the entire Northern end of the county.
I should have added, that if the OP has or is expecting a grandchild, it would be good to locate *near* the elementary school. With only 2 schools, some kids face a very long bus ride. One could be close to the Belville school and be in a "non-subdivision" house if that is a preference.

FWIW, someone mentioned a while back that Brunswick Forest could be the most "child-friendly" of the golf/adult communities in Leland. Otherwise, the Windsor Park subdivision seems to market to younger families.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 AM

20 posts, read 42,312 times
Default Why

Why are there so many foreclosures in the area such as Brunswick Forest,Magnolia Greens and Waterford. This info is available via Zillow.com. What are the contributing factors?

Last edited by mariner1; 08-06-2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner1 View Post
Why are there so many foreclosures in the area such as Brunswick Forest,Magnolia Greens and Waterford. This info is available via Zillow.com. What are the contributing factors?
Speculators, like many other resort areas. Prices went crazy in 2006-7, and the houses and lots are now not worth what people paid. There is also a lot of excess capacity in lots that won't be absorbed until 15-20 years have passed. These are just my opinions, but BF, MG and Waterford are all healthy growing, communities. There is no need to be worried if you buy carefully.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 PM

20 posts, read 42,312 times
Thanks for the feedback re overspeculation make sense. I originally thought it was due to folks moving into these communities thinking they were wonderful resorts and finally reading the covenants re HOAs and assessments including restrictions and becoming disenchanted once reality set in and trying to get out of the situations.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,413,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback re overspeculation make sense. I originally thought it was due to folks moving into these communities thinking they were wonderful resorts and finally reading the covenants re HOAs and assessments including restrictions and becoming disenchanted once reality set in and trying to get out of the situations.
I totally think this also has something to do with it , add that these communities
are located away from beaches and downtown Wilmington.
One must really love resort life when living in those places.
we have friends in one of those locations and they just cannot sell right now
so they are staying put. they would loose money, a lot.
They dread the drive across the bridge every day
and feel removed from everything. I know that most anything[ lowes, grocery, etc.] is
available however a true feeling of being towns they are not.
The Hoa rules in their community is very strict.
so do be careful if resort/"plantation" living
is what not you want.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,922,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I totally think this also has something to do with it , add that these communities
are located away from beaches and downtown Wilmington.
One must really love resort life when living in those places.
we have friends in one of those locations and they just cannot sell right now
so they are staying put. they would loose money, a lot.
They dread the drive across the bridge every day
and feel removed from everything. I know that most anything[ lowes, grocery, etc.] is
available however a true feeling of being towns they are not.
The Hoa rules in their community is very strict.
so do be careful if resort/"plantation" living
is what not you want.
I was just talking about this yesterday in another thread that was about an article that was about retiring in "Brunswick County" but every single place and thing they mentioned in the article was in New Hanover County. The first sentence was even "Wilmington NC located in Brunswick County has become one of the fastest growing cities on the coast". As I stated on that post, the Brunsiwick County developments sale off of WIlmington and it's area beaches to the point that peopel think WIlmington is in in Brunswick County. At the same time these developmetns that are selling off of Wilmington are minimizing how difficult it can be to actually get into Wilmington. For one of those development sites "10 minutes to downtown Wilmington". Maybe at 10 pm, and even then more like 15, and how long does take to get to anywhere else besides downtown Wilmington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina