Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Rather than using feelings and whatnot, here is where people in Brunswick County live.

One could argue the southern and western residents go to MB more, while northern/eastern go to Wilmington.

The eastern three municipalities/townships (Northwest, Town Creek, Smithville) has 50.4% of the population. It is fairly split.

I assumed more people lived closer to the Cape Fear. This shows the population is fairly uniformed, and could go either way. But I want it back in NC like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Thanks for the maps...you can clearly see where a split would be....Shallotte West to Myrtle and the rest to Wilmington.

Prior to the Carolina Byways Rd being built...you would have to hit all the lights along N Myrtle to get to the Mall, Barefoot Landing and on to Broadway at the Beach....now its about 15-20 minutes to an Interstate type road that then drops you off at those places.

I think the real thing to do is actually combine the two...similar to Winston Salem and Greensboro. And I actually think this would benefit BOTH areas in terms of the economy. It is a huge tourism region that encompasses both areas, as well as retirement, and is trying to recruit more industry...it has the same travel issues and needs an Interstate type road between them. Its funny, folks have complained forever about Myrtle beach traffic and Wilmington traffic. Separate metro area's get less attention and less interconnectivity and less $$$ than a combined metro.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
It looks like the fight continues to get Brunswick County back into Wilmington's MSA. The few comments at the end of the webpage are interesting though; they seem to reflect more of an affinity for inclusion in Myrtle Beach's MSA. I wouldn't necessarily take such comments as being reflective of the general county population though.

Regional fight continues to move Brunswick County back into Wilmington's MSA | WWAY NewsChannel 3 | Wilmington NC News

Old 05-11-2013, 11:31 AM

50 posts, read 111,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
too little too late IMO
Splitting Brunswick County could be a good idea, but I seriously doubt that would ever happen. People who run these gov't's don't want to give up control.
Combining the two would be better, and it benefits BOTH areas, not just one or the other.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 111,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
They use commuting statistics to make this determination.
(B) Brunswick County residents are commuting to Horry County more frequently than New Hanover County. (which is not THAT hard to believe.)
Over 90% of Brunswick County works in Brunswick County or Wilmington.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwbwilm View Post
Combining the two would be better, and it benefits BOTH areas, not just one or the other.
There's a formula that's used to combine them also, and it appears as though that threshold hasn't quite been met. I'm not really sure what that formula/threshold is though; most of the combined statistical areas (CSAs) that consist of more than one metropolitan statistical area (MSAs) that I know of were formerly singular MSAs that got broken up, such as the Triangle and Triad. However, I know that here in the Atlanta area, the Athens MSA has been added to the Atlanta CSA. I'll have to try and find out what the criteria is regarding this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina