Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM

19 posts, read 49,508 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are looking into moving to Wilmington as well and found this blog quite useful . Hopefully it can be of some assistance to you as well! Wilmington NC Home Buyer Blog: Communities Near Wilmington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,908 times
Default relo from Jersey

Hello all.

Name is Gene
Have great job offer ( promotion) but i will need to relo from New Jersey to Wilmington, North Carolina.
I am in my mid-40's and am pretty open to all things.

I will have my wife ( a few years younger than myself), my daughters ( 14- heading to high school next year, 9- going to 5th grade, and 19- daughter went to Paul Mitchell School, so she will look for employment in that field unless she decides on more schooling).
Wife has Jersey certs for EMT & Emergency Dispatcher, but may only work part - time if that. She is pretty creative and likes to do party palnning, arrangements, center peices, etc. She is really good but mostly does it for hobby...... never in business.

So looking for a 4-5 bedroom home, where I can have a pool. I have ssen plenty of gated communities and they look fun and family oriented. This is huge.
The community setting is good, but we still want our own little thing, pool, yard for the dogs, etc.
Schools and safety are the biggerst factors.

I have ben in contact with a realtor who was more leading to Hampstead????

I was looking at the Leland area, Monkey JUnction ( not sure if it is a city??)

Schools are huge with activities or strong recreation programs. We are from the city so some diversity is o.k. but we don't want it crazy.

The realtor I spoke with said there are commnities with the options we want.

home buying around 280,000 range is good.

I have heard that there is a car tax in this state? I have 3 cars total in the family. How does this work? How high is this tax? On the norm how are property taxes yearly or avg.

I don't want any well or septic, so what areas have municipal? How does that bill range or cost per quarter, monthly, etc?

Well any info is appreciated.

We do like the beach and don't really want to be in the stciks. We want more community= but not in the city.... just outside. My wife and daughters like to shop and all.... so we want a little of everything---- nocrime or limited with some diversity.

We are catholic so how does the religion and church fit in?

prefer public school as that is all they have attended here, but if needed private is considered.

my children are mixed ethnicity- black & white.......... very outgoing, intelligent, never any real trouble to speak of and actvie. they cheer, play softbball, dance, basketball, etc.

i coached many years of baseball here for travel teams and was a head coach at a private high school- i am a red sox fan too!!!!

well any input opinions are much appreciated. My wife and I will be happy to speak with anyone off line on any matter.

we hope to find others or age with similiar family ages and make up.

My wife needs a new BFF and I just need a sports guy and fishing mate.

girls are girls- thye do it all!!

Thanks.

Sorry for any sloppy typos..... i hate computers....... lol

Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 AM

43 posts, read 100,171 times
Curious to know if any of you actually made the move to NC. I'm looking to relocate from NH, and I think it would be encouraging to hear from people who have moved and are happy with it!

Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousRN View Post
Curious to know if any of you actually made the move to NC. I'm looking to relocate from NH, and I think it would be encouraging to hear from people who have moved and are happy with it!
I am also curious. Over the years, a few people have reported back and they were all happy with the move. However, out of the people who don't report back, I suspect most simply could not make it work out. It is hard to leave an established job when one is in their 30's or 40's with a family.

We moved here to retire at age 65. I know that I could never have found work in the Wilmington area that was comparable to what I did in the Washington DC area. I worked mostly in mainframe computers on Federal and state contracts.

Nursing jobs may be somewhat easier to find. One person I know is an experienced critical care nurse who moved here with her retired husband. She landed a job at New Hanover Regional hospital, but ultimately could not work because of medical issues.

So, it may be difficult, but not impossible, to relocate mid-career.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,897 times
Move to Brunswick County, Leland specifically. Very nice homes for rent for several hundred dollars less than in Wilmington. Going down Village Rd. towards Mt. Misery Rd., you should be able to find what you are looking for.

You will be only 7-9 miles outside of Wilmington and yet you will have access to all of the amenities without the higher crime rate, higher priced living and more of a country feel for your young family to enjoy.

Many people from up North are moving into New Leland, across from the walmart on the second exit, but there are gems to be found on the first exit (Leland/Belville) and third exit (Mt. Misery).

If you buy, property taxes are lowest here. Schools are good and the pace of life is a bit slower than Wilmington.

God bless,
Rose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina