Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:31 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,411,080 times

Advertisements

from reading your post my impression of your family is that
you would be happier being in Wilmington proper.

why drive from Hampstead when your life will
really be in Wilmington.

Many of the communities in the monkey junction/ myrtle grove area
are on community wells.

look along myrtle grove rd and masonboro sound rd.
welcome and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,169,505 times
There are several homes in the Pine Hollow, Silver Lake or Myrtle Grove areas which meet the requirement of 4-5 bedrooms and a pool or community pool. The communites look very family oriented. The issue would be whether the OP is satisfied with the schools.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,916,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmangene View Post
thank you fro the replies to datr and i will follow up as advised.

The early school program by macjr82 sounds interesting.---- Is it a long commute would be my only concern..

Schools and family environments are our first and top rpriorities.

Thanks again and all the help is appreciated,

It wouldn't effect you commute from Hampstead, but you r child would spend longer time on abus thatn he would if he went to Topsail High School b/c he'd be riding a bus from Hampstead to Burgaw everyday. Also, if it's like other programs I've seen, it's school hours differ from standard ones. The school calendar basically follows the college and the school day may be more like 930 to 430, vice 830 to 330 or similar.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:21 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,169,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmangene View Post
Schools and family environments are our first and top rpriorities.
If you still need suggestion on the schools, try this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...gton-area.html

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,955 times
I've got the house for you in Pine Valley...10-15 minutes to downtown, near the Elementary School (that will eventually be replaced with a new building) and in the best Middle and High School district in Wilmington...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-68265?row=72

It doesn't have a pool but it sits on over half an acre in a neighborhood where many of the homes have pools...so you could put one in with the money you save from being below your price range. I can vouch for the neighbors and the neighborhood and there is a country club with a pool that you can join if you want to (no HOA fee's). IMO, its the best location for the price. Taxes would be about $2,100 a year. On city water and sewer...irrigation likely is on a well (which saves money). It also is easy walk/ride to Halyburton Park and the Cross City Trail...Mall is right down the road from the neighborhood. Two beaches within 15 minutes. Even a bus stop on 17th St outside the neighborhood. Less than 10 minutes from the Legion complex where the Sharks (summer league) baseball team plays...as well as the Hammerheads (yes, Wilmington has pro soccer, which is big). Also less than 10 minutes to UNCW.

Here is another in the nearby neighborhood (Stonegate, other side of the school), but is a little more...

714 Fairlie Ct, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

You can go to Hampstead, but just keep in mind it will be 30 minute commute. I don't see the point of living in Pender Co if you work downtown. Your wife will likely work in Wilmington as well...your post HS child may attend CFCC downtown or work in Wilmington as well...what's the point of living in another county when everything you want and need is in Wilmington? Here are a couple of others just outside of Wilmington where the schools are fine and its 15-20 minutes downtown.

6911 Lipscomb Dr, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

7306 Haven Way, Wilmington, NC 28411 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

5613 Onyx Ct, Wilmington, NC 28412 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Last edited by HP91; 05-07-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,633,507 times
I feel like Hampstead might be a really annoying commute to downtown Wilmington. Leland is right across the river and greatly expanding - might be a better option, though I can't speak about schools. I know a NJ transplant who lives in Boiling Spring Lakes and really loves it.

Hampstead is very nice...but kind of out of the way and I fear you could regret it. The traffic definitely isn't like NJ traffic, but it can be a bit much.

Anyway you can visit for a weekend or so and do the drive?

Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 PM

27 posts, read 64,823 times
I would think the commute down from Hampstead would get old as well, I would look into
building a new home as well. When we were looking we kept finding existing homes were more expensive
than building a home with the features, style etc.. we wanted. Pine valley is a nice area, I just
joined the golf club there, there are some nice new developments around the Myrtle grove area, we built
in that area. We wanted to be close to the beaches and downtown as well. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 PM

50 posts, read 112,018 times
If you're looking for a 4-5 bedroom place with a pool, and your price range is about 280k, it sounds like your best bet is Brunswick County. Leland is in Brunswick County. You said you're leaning towards Hampstead, it's a nice suburb. However, if you're going to be working Downtown, I would choose Brunswick County, as it's right across the river from Downtown. It's Suburban Wilmington, and has many new, and nice developments. Brunswick County also has more shopping than Hampstead. Oh, and Monkey Junction is kind of a suburb of Wilmington, but it's not in Brunswick or Pender County like Leland and Hampstead. It's actually kind of Wilmington, it's just not in the city limits because every time the city tries to annex it there's a huge fuss usually.
There are many beaches in the Wilmington Area, if I had to pick my favorite I would probably say Wrightsville Beach. The whole area is also known for great fishing.
In NC you pay a property tax on vehicles. Starting this year your inspection, registration, and tax are due the same month.
There are some pretty large Catholic churches in the Wilmington Area. I would check out Saint Mary's and Saint Mark's.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,955 times
While Brunswick Co can provide a quick trip to downtown, you also have some other issues to deal with...

1) The Bridge...its inconsistent and it gets worse in the summer.
2) The Schools...people moving to the new subdivisions typically don't have kids...you don't see folks with kids in schools leaving New Hanover Co for Brunswick Co.
3) Its further from the beaches....therefore it has less value. I have heard complaints about properties being able to retain their value. As well they just keep building so nothing is ever finished.
4) The shopping is a bit of a mirage...its Wal-Mart and a bunch of small stores and a couple of restaurants. You want a mall...Wilmington, Target...Wilmington, Costco, Sam's Club...Wilmington, high end (Mayfaire)....Wilmington.
5) Youth sports are going to be in Wilmington, although there are a few nice parks (Town Creek and near the Industrial complex)...so again, just like Pender, you will be spending much of your time in Wilmington.
6) Community feel...Hmm...is there a real town there? Where's downtown Leland? Wal-Mart? Its more a collection of subdivisions along a stretch of road (kind of sounds like Hampstead, huh?) with commercial strip centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina