Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Would also appreciate some advice. I have read on here many times that buyers should have a "buyers agent". If I am just possibly purchasing land at this point from one of these plantations, do I need an agent. Are lot prices negotiable? In NY I never would have thought so in a large development. Resale houses yes but lots no. For the developments we have seen so far in NC, I always call the agent on the premises and ask them to show us around. Should I be going with an outside agent?
An outside agent who is REALLY familiar with the area and all of the options would be a great help for you. The seller usually pays the buyers agent.

A knowledgeable agent could be very helpful in narrowing down your options. Give them your preference for amenities, location, price range etc and they should be able to come up with a "short list" of developments to look at.

As it stands there are so many choices and price ranges that it would give me a migrain

When we were looking, in some cases the "on-site" agents were too busy trying to sell their newest and most expensive lots without regard to our preferences.

I imagine goldenage is right, the more lots for sale the more leeway for negotiation. For instance SJP has 266 lots for sale, Rivers Edge has 15, Porters Neck has 30, Compass Point has 3 and Ocean Ridge has 59.

I wish I could recommend such an agent to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I can't find the article rite now but The Star News
just had a huge article about the drinking water problems
that St.James plantation is going to face within
a few years. in as running out of water?
did anyone else read that? did not sound good.
I read this
Why St. James is losing water fast - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

My In-Laws had what they called "grey water" for their irrigation system in Florida. Is this what they are talking about?

The water out of the sprinkler smelled sort of like sulfur but they had no complaints about it.

Should be interesting.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I read this
Why St. James is losing water fast - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

My In-Laws had what they called "grey water" for their irrigation system in Florida. Is this what they are talking about?

The water out of the sprinkler smelled sort of like sulfur but they had no complaints about it.

Should be interesting.
Yes, that is the article.
should be interesting how it pans out
as the neighborhood keeps
selling lots.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 178,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Just a suggestion: look at all the lots for sale with a tool like Zillow. It will show the re-sales from independant brokers, not just the ones from the plantation. Zillow also shows the assessed value and usually the property tax from the county. That way you understand the range of prices. For example, Porters Neck has a quarter acre "villa lot" for $80,000. Half acre lots are about $150,000, one with water access is $315,000. Golf course lots are about $200,000. My own favorite is a corner lot with a bit less than half an acres for $149,000.
Thanks for sharing this website. I never heard of it. It has great information. But I am a little confused how to search for a particular neighborhood or if I just want to find prices of lots. For instance, do I have to go through all of Wilmington to find something in Landfall? And how do I just find price for lots, or do I weed through?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM

25 posts, read 178,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post

As it stands there are so many choices and price ranges that it would give me a migrain
Yes, so true. I think I will follow your advice, thanks

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this website. I never heard of it. It has great information. But I am a little confused how to search for a particular neighborhood or if I just want to find prices of lots. For instance, do I have to go through all of Wilmington to find something in Landfall? And how do I just find price for lots, or do I weed through?
Zillow normally recognizes neighborhood names like "Landfall, Wilmington, NC". If not, put in a street and city name. Then, click the "Filter" button, and the search will allow you to select Lots, Houses, Condos, etc, and a price range. When you find an interesting area, you can zoom around on the map.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-25-2013 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Take a look at this site-
Brunswick County NC Real Estate | Ocean Isle Beach | Carolina Plantations

It gives a realtor thumb nail sketch of some of the developments you are interested in.

After you select a development, click on the small link "view listings" it offers both exisiting homes for sale and lots.

I am not affiliated with this company, just check it from time to time to get an idea of what is going on in the various developments.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobioAXP View Post
Well, we own a condo by the St James Marina, so it's about as far from the St James main gate as you can get. But, yes, it took us almost 30 minutes from condo to beach club. The St James sales pitch is that the beach club is "just a quick 10-minute drive from the main gate". That probably works during the dead of winter, but with beach traffic it certainly takes much longer. 25-30 minutes is about right, then good luck with parking
What about the back entrance with the new Bridge? Still 30 minutes?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
New Seaside entrance ( back entrance ) to the beach house is MAX 15 minutes ( 55 MPH and 45 MPH all the way )..... front entrance is about the same unless there is a bit of traffic at the Lowes light.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM

45 posts, read 177,992 times
Yes, the Seaside entrance is certainly easier and the bridge into Oak Island is super nice. For us, still 10 minutes to get to the Seaside gate, and it took us 15-20 minutes to get to the club (there was some stoplight traffic halfway up towards the club on Oak Island Dr near the Dairy Queen).

I'll stick with my overall 30 minute assessment, though I imagine it's less during time of day / year. Plus, if you're closer to one of the St James gates, then you save time right off the bat (it takes forever to get out of the development going 20 miles per hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina