Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Based on what I have seen so far, Landfall is my first choice because for me the location far outweighs everything else. But it is a concern about how easy it is to meet people, given what I have read. I hope they are wrong.
I agree about the location. You can't beat it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "rich snooty" people. There are people like that everywhere. Be friendly and if they snub you, it's their loss. You'll be living in an ideal location with everything nearby and can keep yourself busy. I live in a neighborhood full of snooty people-without any amenities (that I happen to enjoy) nearby. Now that'll make you crazzzzy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
What you both have said is very true. Just to clarify. I am not saying they are snooty. That is what has been stated or insinuated in this forum from the things I have read. Based on what I have seen so far, Landfall is my first choice because for me the location far outweighs everything else. But it is a concern about how easy it is to meet people, given what I have read. I hope they are wrong.
Thanks for your report! You covered a lot of area in a short amount of time!

Landfall is interesting as the homes range in price from 400K-4M, an unusual spread for this size development.

Meeting people will be easy if you get involved with the community activities, join the social club, the golf courses Landfall Country Club Membership Fees in WilmingtoN NC

Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,018 times
Yes, Point Pleasant, Manasquan, Belmar, Spring Lake, etc all have parking nightmares. But on the bright side the day after Labor Day we are in fat city... The "Bennies" as the out of towners are called won't be seen unitl Memorial Day........

Freezing here this am, 52 degrees and only mid-August..

Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM

25 posts, read 178,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I agree about the location. You can't beat it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the "rich snooty" people. There are people like that everywhere. Be friendly and if they snub you, it's their loss. You'll be living in an ideal location with everything nearby and can keep yourself busy. I live in a neighborhood full of snooty people-without any amenities (that I happen to enjoy) nearby. Now that'll make you crazzzzy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Thanks for your report! You covered a lot of area in a short amount of time!

Landfall is interesting as the homes range in price from 400K-4M, an unusual spread for this size development.

Meeting people will be easy if you get involved with the community activities, join the social club, the golf courses Landfall Country Club Membership Fees in WilmingtoN NC

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure it will all work out. As we are leaving family and friends behind it just gets a little scary sometimes. But I think it will be a great move sometime in the near future. I am really looking forward to be able to go south!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm sure it will all work out. As we are leaving family and friends behind it just gets a little scary sometimes. But I think it will be a great move sometime in the near future. I am really looking forward to be able to go south!
don't worry about it!! We, also, will be leaving family (adult children and three grandkids) and friends -but everyone says, you move to the beach, kids will come to YOU. Plus, being retired, I plan on coming back North every two months or so to see the kids and certain doctors, etc. When retired your life is YOURS!! You'll find all kinds of people in the same boat and more willing to become friends in NC, you will see!!! PS - have you inquired as to 'mandatory flood insurance' for "Landfall" - some flood insurance can run over $5,000 a year.....

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetoutofNJDave View Post
Don't forget River's Edge in Shallotte. 1 mile from Main St. and 12 miles from Holden Beach. We will be building our dream home there soon.
GetoutofNJDave - Are you building in River'ss Edge??? someone here on Coastal North Carolina is asking about that community........

Old 05-23-2014, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 18,230 times
Default Glad we aren't the only ones confused!

What a great thread! I would love to hear if any of you have made up your mind. After three visits to Wilmington and almost buying in Brunswick Forest, we decided to rent in the area for six months and really absorb everything before we decide. We have not seen anything but BF and St. James Plantation, but liked BF's price ranges and the proximity to downtown. SJP was awesome but too far from downtown for us. Too pricey for golf and amenities.. Also a little too remote. We felt we would blow through restaurants in and near SJP quickly and wish we would be closer to town. And I personally feel that if you have to drive 15-20 minutes to a private beach club, what's 10 minutes more? I know many people love SJP and I can see why, but it wasn't for us. I also am not thrilled with belonging to four clubs that won't allow me in with jeans. Been there, done that.

Some impressions of BF on our last visit: The barren feeling that several spoke about seemed a little improved this past trip, although still evident compared to more established communities. I think a lot of the younger vegetation has grown and they have worked on landscaping. The golf course, Cape Fear, was awesome. The amenities are wonderful and the River Club looked like a lot of fun, although I have never kayaked before. Bike trails galore and a dog park. It's real close to downtown, which we really love. Every restaurant we tried was fantastic and the historic area charming. Wrightsville beach was breathtaking, about a 30 min. drive. Negatives: Buying there is very confusing because every neighborhood has different models and builders. It bugged me that Brunswick Forest has their own realty company that floods the MLS with models, specs and "houses" that are really unbuilt lots. It's very difficult to pinpoint which are resales. Lots can be on the small size and house styles a bit uncreative on the exterior. However, I felt the interior details were nicely done and that the base packages had a lot of extras. Leland is growing and I think the amenities of the town will grow too, mostly due to the growth of BF.

So we should be in Wilmington this summer and give it a whirl. We definitely plan on visiting many other communities. My hope is that we know we love it after a month and tell our realtor in PA to list!! Keep you posted...

Old 05-24-2014, 06:13 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound54 View Post
So we should be in Wilmington this summer and give it a whirl. We definitely plan on visiting many other communities. My hope is that we know we love it after a month and tell our realtor in PA to list!! Keep you posted...
I hope you look at some resales in Magnolia Greens or Waterford of the Carolinas. They are the closest to Wilmington and have well developed amenities and landscaping. The lots are a bit small and the largest house is about 2600 square feet. Compass Pointe is improving and is also close to Wilmington.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 18,230 times
Thanks, Goldenage. We do plan on checking them out. Thanks for all of your posts. I've read many of them and you are a wealth of info!!! I had heard some negatives about Compass Pointe's financial stability but I think they are older posts. We are looking for about 2200 to 2400 square feet. We are renting commercial space in Leland for our business so that's probably our best bet for our home. We would like a golf course community but it doesn't have to be private. Don't know if CP will ever build one.

Has anyone had to store furniture while they build or wait for closing? I think we may be in that position. I'm half tempted to sell everything and buy new furniture! The cost of moving and storing might be the same!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:04 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound54 View Post
Has anyone had to store furniture while they build or wait for closing? I think we may be in that position. I'm half tempted to sell everything and buy new furniture! The cost of moving and storing might be the same!
Many of my neighbors do store their furniture while waiting for their houses to be built. However we moved everything, and now find it is too heavy and dark and rustic for our surroundings. I wish we could start over with lighter colors and a more tropical feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina