Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 12:22 PM

15 posts, read 36,473 times

Advertisements

is the outerbanks nc a good place to raise a family, when we visited there we loved it now we want to relocate to north Carolina from seattle wa. Any suggestions on what its like there year round in the outerbanks, schooling system? we have a five year old son so that is very important to us. Or any other cities or towns there that is a good place to raise a family. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM

613 posts, read 746,452 times
No

Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumford12 View Post
is the outerbanks nc a good place to raise a family, when we visited there we loved it now we want to relocate to north Carolina from seattle wa. Any suggestions on what its like there year round in the outerbanks, schooling system? we have a five year old son so that is very important to us. Or any other cities or towns there that is a good place to raise a family. Thanks so much
Will you be working from home or have a job line up? How much can you afford? Any place is different living than vacationing.
Will you be able to handle the closer of some business in the winter and heavy traffic of the summer.

You decide what your criteria in school is.
Here a list of the schools in Dare County with performances of each.
District Search Results Page

Old 09-11-2013, 01:06 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
The Dare County schools are considered pretty good. It is a "lifestyle" place to live.

I had a roommate in college from the Outer Banks...he was a laid back cool cat...too laid back. Never finished college, but then again, his parents hadn't gone to college either and he had transferred in from a Community College. Always had a good time when going to the Outer Banks...he knew all of the locals, who really hung together. There is a surfer community there as well.

If I was going to suggest a place for a family, I would say Manteo, because it really is a regular community.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:43 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I knew several people who were born and raised in the OBX. They all leave after high school and never return. Schools are good, but it's a boring place to live and work, especially in the winter.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I knew several people who were born and raised in the OBX. They all leave after high school and never return. Schools are good, but it's a boring place to live and work, especially in the winter.
Plus there are limited job options if you have any ambition. If you want to be "near" the Outer Banks, you could look at Currituck or Camden counties. They are mostly rural, but the towns of Moyock, South Mills and Camden are within commuting distance of the Chesapeake/ Hampton Roads Virginia job market.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM

352 posts, read 262,885 times
Go to the outer banks message board and do a search on this topic. Numerous threads with great information from the locals. Here is the site: OBXconnection.com. Having been going there for over 40 years, it is great to visit and vacation, but would not want to live there. You have to commute to Chesapeake, Va Beach, or Norfolk to do any real shopping and the job market is seasonal in the outer banks. Rent is very high and very little to rent year round. Go to trulia.com and look at the prices of homes if you are wanting to buy. A 900 sf. beach box between the highways will start at around $250,000 and up. And there is a pretty big drug scene amongst the teens and young adults. I have heard that for years now and from many residents I know who live there year round.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatumford12 View Post
Dare county has the best schools in that area of coastal Carolina. You don't have to live on the outer banks to live in Dare County. I have friends that live in Manteo (just over the bridge and back in time a few years) and they have two kids in brand new schools there.

Low taxes. Your house insurance will cost you more than your taxes.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
The traffic in the OBX can be pretty bad in the summertime too. In the middle of winter it's a breeze to drive. Tropical storms are regular visitors there too. I've seen pictures of the OBX after a real hurricane hit. It's not pretty and I would strongly consider evacuating when told to do so. Nor'Easters can be pretty bad out there too. A Nor'Easter is basically a wintertime hurricane.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:28 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
too. In the middle of winter it's a breeze to drive. Tropical storms are regular visitors there too. I've seen pictures of the OBX after a real hurricane hit. It's not pretty and I would strongly consider evacuating when told to do so. Nor'Easters can be pretty bad out there too. A Nor'Easter is basically a wintertime hurricane.
The traffic in the OBX can be pretty bad in the summertime ... if you do not know the shortcuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina