Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,396 times

Advertisements

Raised in the mountains of Western NC and possibly relocating to Wilmington- I'm just curious if anyone could give me a quick run down of what to expect. I'm a big hiker and I know Wilmington is flat- But are there any good spots out there to walk? Any towns or cities near by with trees and nature or maybe even woods to get out in? I'm not a water person at ALL! Just wondering if I'll be able to find anything at all that reminds me of home in Wilmington. (Or in surrounding counties within a 20 mile radius.)

And I hear traffic is horrible out there. Is this true?

Any other info that you'd be interested in sharing would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,866,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt77 View Post
Raised in the mountains of Western NC and possibly relocating to Wilmington- I'm just curious if anyone could give me a quick run down of what to expect. I'm a big hiker and I know Wilmington is flat- But are there any good spots out there to walk? Any towns or cities near by with trees and nature or maybe even woods to get out in? I'm not a water person at ALL! Just wondering if I'll be able to find anything at all that reminds me of home in Wilmington. (Or in surrounding counties within a 20 mile radius.)

Any other info that you'd be interested in sharing would be greatly appreciated!
Starting with the traffic...it's not that bad, what it is is in town traffic. The State is only now getting around to building limited access roads in Wilmington. Imagine if Asheville didn't have the interstate type roads and you were just driving on the other 4 lane roads.

In terms of hiking, it certainly will be a different type of hiking. In the non summer months, walking on the beach is an ideal activity. Also check out Carolina Beach State Park which has nice trails that include venus flytraps. Fort Fisher is a good walking spot. In town, Halyburton Park and Hugh McRae Park both have walking trails. Airlie Gardens is a great place to walk around, although you do have to pay.

If you want to get more natural, head up to the Moore's Creek Battlefield site, Lake Waccamaw or the White Lake area where there are numerous State Parks.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,396 times
Thanks much HP91 -

I'll definitely check out all those spots you mentioned.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:07 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwt77 View Post
Just wondering if I'll be able to find anything at all that reminds me of home in Wilmington. (Or in surrounding counties within a 20 mile radius.)

Traffic is not that bad, compared to Raleigh or Washington, DC.

The beauty of Wilmington is very different from the mountains. We have some magnificent old live oak trees draped with Spanish moss. Look at a few of the picture from Poplar Grove to get a flavor of what you can explore: Historical Site Wilmington North Carolina | Poplar Grove Plantation

The downtown Riverwalk is more of a stroll and window-shop walk, but here's some info: Stroll Along the Wilmington, North Carolina Riverwalk District - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,903,394 times
Not as many nature trails around Wilmington, but you are not too far from the Croatan National Forest which has several, including the 21-mile long Neusiok. Also the flatter trail are reall good for biking, if you want to take that up. You're about 3 hrs from the Uhwarrie Mountains, which are the closest range I can think of.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM

48 posts, read 109,523 times
Regarding traffic. I moved here from DC metro so I'm very happy with traffic conditions here. Like wealth traffic is very relative. One tip I have though is that there is a great plus living on the south side 28409 and 28412 and 28403. You have much less traffic driving into the heart of Wilmington at College and market Street and the surrounding. Entering in from the north 28411 side is very frustrating for many residents. Stop and go stuff and being stuck in long turn lanes at traffic lights. When you live on the south side you are able to head up to the middle of town on College or Independence much faster than you can head south from 28411 with much less likelihood of a big snag in traffic. Independence (Covil) ave flies and is preferred to College Rd. Point is that if you have choice where to live be open minded to the southern side of town. If kids are not in the picture there is great value for homes in 28412 for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina