Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

Pam, don't put salary requirements down at all. Just put negotiable. When asked about salary expectations in an interview, say that you're open on that requirement as you're unaware of what the going rate of pay is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Uhm......yeah. Law firms around here don't pay well. You'll be lucky to get $9-10/hr--no health benefits. And that's if your fortunate enough to even find a job. You may want to look at Greenville or Jacksonville.
I think that's even about the going rate at a lot of places in Jville. Pay is so horrid there! I'm not sure about Greenville.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 PM

7 posts, read 13,580 times
I went out today to drop my resumes off at different places and filled in an application at a furniture store and did not put down the salary I was making in NY, I left it open and the salary I wanted wrote negotiable. We will see what happens. I walked into a realty as well and she was very nice. Her church was looking for an admin and she immediately called them up and got the info on where to send my resume. I thanked her and she also kept a copy of my resume should someone else need an admin. I will be out again in the morning to drop off my resume to more places. Ran out of ink this morning so I only had 6 resumes but they all got dropped off at unexpected places, so I am pleased. But thank you all again for your valuable input.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Best of luck, Pam! I hope you hear back from somewhere soon!

Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 PM

7 posts, read 13,580 times
awww thank you very much, I appreciate it :-)

Old 11-29-2013, 04:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
This is an amazingly stereotypical view of Southerners--you don't know much about "them" if you think "they" (we) are all like this.

The vast majority of Southerners do NOT "still fight the Civil War"--it's generally people from the North who are the first to bring up that period of history.

What you say about fitting in is true aqbout anywhere one tends to move that is culturally different--the more your demeanor matches theirs, the more you'll fit in, and for God's sake, don't go on and on about "how we used to do things where I come from" or you'll be instantly shut out.

Unfortunately, OP was one of many who, despite being told point blank that the job market was bad here, had a "oh, that won't apply to ME" attitude and now is realizing otherwise. We can say again and again, "get a job BEFORE you move" and there are always some who think they will be the exception. Not sure what advice I can give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Here are a few tips that I hope can help.. and again they are generalizations but here goes:

-There are events in every region's history that have for a large part defined it: for the West it was the adventure and pioneering, for the North it was commerce and industry, and for ENC and the South it was the Civil War. Understand there is to this day cultural baggage about this.

-don't speak or move too fast when you talk to them, try to match their speed. This also applies to your work proficiency as well.. you want to "fit in" and do as your management wants..

-engage them in small conversation prior to discussing business

-they are frequently late, accept this. absenteeism may increase during hunting season.

-understand that politeness and friendliness aren't the same thing. they might do bad things to you, but they always said yes sir/ no sir and thank you...

-they can be judgemental, you may be stereotyped based on where you came from and your circumstances. Do not mention anything about yourself that may run contrary to someone's view of "family values"...

-network, network, network..

-oh and one more thing, it's not "ex" Marine, its "former" Marine.. they're kinda persnickety about that!!

Old 11-29-2013, 11:30 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
This is an amazingly stereotypical view of Southerners--you don't know much about "them" if you think "they" (we) are all like this.

I prefaced my statement with the idea that those points were generalizations. However, stereotypes exist because they are true most of the time. And it is this "average experience" which some people define as culture and what people are referring to when they ask what it's like to live somewhere.

I'm a native NCer, and I'll say that in order to best understand what "we" are like one has to live elsewhere (not just visit) for a significant amount of time to develop a standard of comparison.

The vast majority of Southerners do NOT "still fight the Civil War"--it's generally people from the North who are the first to bring up that period of history.

I did not mean to imply that "we" are still discussing the ill timing of Pickett's charge or lamenting the loss of General Jackson. Rather, I meant that an outsider may easier understand some of the more inscrutable cultural elements of the South if they looked at it in the historical context of the Civil War. When Northerners bring this up, most likely its because they recognize this.

What you say about fitting in is true aqbout anywhere one tends to move that is culturally different--the more your demeanor matches theirs, the more you'll fit in, and for God's sake, don't go on and on about "how we used to do things where I come from" or you'll be instantly shut out.

Despite its recent growth, NC is still a state of significant untapped economic potential. I hope that NYC doesn't bring its driving habits, or L.A. bring its congestion, but there are approaches and attitudes that these locales use that could help improve efficiency and encourage commerce.

I say this primarily because we are living in a nation which is rapidly losing its economic supremacy. Jobs are rapidly vanishing to China which is ruthlessly undercutting the US in virtually every way, I would like NC to be a viable alternative to overseas outsourcing, not just speculative houses for retirees. It is probably too late, though.

Unfortunately, OP was one of many who, despite being told point blank that the job market was bad here, had a "oh, that won't apply to ME" attitude and now is realizing otherwise. We can say again and again, "get a job BEFORE you move" and there are always some who think they will be the exception. Not sure what advice I can give.

I agree with this sentiment and repeated it many times to those who inquired. But I think this particular OP came to NC to be with her boyfriend so I posted those points in the hopes of helping her.

-rr

Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Well, just so you know, it is not all one way going from NY to NC.

My daughter is struggling in NYC in the film biz. Seems everything is "intern". Which means lots of work, but with no pay.

Guess who is supporting her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina