Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM

35 posts, read 74,785 times

Advertisements

Not as bad as people make it out to be according the the link/report below. Greenville isn't even on the Top 100 list, Rocky Mount is though at #41.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-06-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Rocky Mount beat Compton and DC... Greenville may not be on the list, but the parts that are bad... are bad..

Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times
According to this website, Greenville is number 269 on the safest cities in the US with populations over 75k.

The rest of NC is:

13 Cary
203 Raleigh
242 High Point
269 Greenville
275 Greensboro
281 Charlotte
283 Asheville
307 Winston-Salem
314 Wilmington
332 Durham
356 Fayetteville

Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
According to this website, Greenville is number 269 on the safest cities in the US with populations over 75k.
Somewhere in the middle. That's where Greenville ranks in many data sets. It is your average American city.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Somewhere in the middle. That's where Greenville ranks in many data sets. It is your average American city.
If you asked the average NC person where Greenville is on a list like that, I bet the vast majority would not pick the fourth best.

I wish there was an official way to correct for the large college-aged population here.

East Carolina had a Fall 2013 On-campus enrollment of 21,269, which is almost 25% of the total Greenville population. That puts a different spin on the dynamic of our city.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
If you asked the average NC person where Greenville is on a list like that, I bet the vast majority would not pick the fourth best.

I wish there was an official way to correct for the large college-aged population here.

East Carolina had a Fall 2013 On-campus enrollment of 21,269, which is almost 25% of the total Greenville population. That puts a different spin on the dynamic of our city.
Well, only if you count the population that lives within the specific boundaries of Greenville. As I posted not long ago, within the Greenville and Winterville zip codes, which make up the true Greenville area population, the population in 2010 was 132,102. The population has probably increased by thousands since then. It's probably closer to 140,000 by now.

//www.city-data.com/forum/33501393-post4166.html

Old 03-06-2014, 07:02 AM

35 posts, read 74,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Rocky Mount beat Compton and DC... Greenville may not be on the list, but the parts that are bad... are bad..
Your response is precisely why I made the original post, no need to use facts, right? The fact that Greenville isn't on the list is a good thing. Unfortunately a negative perception surrounds the city now that many people perceive it to be dangerous, though it is no more dangerous than many other cities seen in a more positive light.

For the record, I'm not suggesting Greenville doesn't have it's issues or shouldn't work to be a safer place, just thought this was an objective report that showed Greenville to be safe overall. I'd still like to see a reduction in gang and drug activity.

Also, I can't speak for Compton but DC is like most large cities. There are good and bad parts. So your comment of " Greenville may not be on the list, but the parts that are bad... are bad.." is applicable to almost all cities.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,871 times
Greenville is just like any other average US city. Crime isn't excessive but there are safe and unsafe areas. Overall it's relatively safe and I've never felt unsafe there.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I posted a few paged back, that the majority of the overall crime occurs in like 15-20 blocks.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthenticNOVA View Post
Your response is precisely why I made the original post, no need to use facts, right? The fact that Greenville isn't on the list is a good thing. Unfortunately a negative perception surrounds the city now that many people perceive it to be dangerous, though it is no more dangerous than many other cities seen in a more positive light.

For the record, I'm not suggesting Greenville doesn't have it's issues or shouldn't work to be a safer place, just thought this was an objective report that showed Greenville to be safe overall. I'd still like to see a reduction in gang and drug activity.

Also, I can't speak for Compton but DC is like most large cities. There are good and bad parts. So your comment of " Greenville may not be on the list, but the parts that are bad... are bad.." is applicable to almost all cities.
I can no longer access the link you posted since it's been deleted, but the problem with "lists" such as this is that it compares cities with 75k and higher, putting places like Greenville in a comparison with much larger cities. Greenville has nowhere near the same job opportunities or amenities as the greater DC area that would offset its crime problem and attract more people.

The reason people perceive that Greenville is dangerous is because it is, plain and simple. That's why there was a mass exodus to Winterville. No amount of denial will change this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina