Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 25,032 times

Advertisements

We will shortly be relocating to North Carolina from south eastern Wisconsin. My husband will be working for a company in the Kinston area. Can anyone give me some opinions about Greensville, New Bern and Goldsboro? I have three children who will be moving with me. Ages 7, 9 and 24 (yes I'm crazy!). We are not city people and prefer a town environment but my daughter (7) likes community theater and my son (9) likes to take riding lessons.

We will be looking to rent for a year or two and ideally we are looking for a friendly community that is safe and has decent schools.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
There is a ton of info on all 3 towns in this forum. They will answer all of your questions and more.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
My husband will be working for a company in the Kinston area. Can anyone give me some opinions about Greensville, New Bern and Goldsboro? I have three children who will be moving with me. Ages 7, 9 and 24 (yes I'm crazy!). We are not city people and prefer a town environment but my daughter (7) likes community theater and my son (9) likes to take riding lessons.

We will be looking to rent for a year or two and ideally we are looking for a friendly community that is safe and has decent schools.
I checked Schooldigger.com for elementary schools, and the best-rated ones are Banks Elementary in the west side of Kinston and Ridgewood Elementary in Winterville (near Greenville).

Your opinion may differ, but Kinston is a little too small for my taste. I think there would be more options for the kids around Greenville. I enjoy New Bern a lot, but I am not sure about the schools. Goldsboro does not have anything special to offer a family.

As the previous poster said, you can search for the threads on these cities individually.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:20 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo30 View Post
We will shortly be relocating to North Carolina from south eastern Wisconsin. My husband will be working for a company in the Kinston area. Can anyone give me some opinions about Greensville, New Bern and Goldsboro? I have three children who will be moving with me. Ages 7, 9 and 24 (yes I'm crazy!). We are not city people and prefer a town environment but my daughter (7) likes community theater and my son (9) likes to take riding lessons.

Thank you for your help.
I was in Kinston last weekend for my son's soccer game and that place was just awful! It is a dying hole of a town......you couldn't pay me to live there. Goldsboro is another podunk town. I wouldn't live there unless being stationed there.

You might like New Bern since you aren't seeking the amenities of a larger city. There are places to take riding lessons here. Not sure about community theater, perhaps someone else could answer that question for you. Greenville, without the (s), is the largest of the places you mentioned. It's a college town, and it might make more sense for you to live there if your eldest is still taking college classes.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
I would suggest getting closer to Greenville, which has more of the arts community because of ECU.

If you want a smaller town environment, consider Farmville, which I like better over Winterville, although Winterville is not bad just a little hodge-podge for my taste.

In reality though, Greenville still has a small town feel to it, its just it has significant traffic on some roads. Commuting to Kinston on Highway 11 is not bad.

Finally, your 24 y/o will much rather be in Greenville than in either Kinston or Goldsboro.

I should add that you didn't say how much you were going to spend...you may consider Trent Woods or the Trent River area of New Bern as well if you can afford something along the water. I believe Trent Woods does have its own Elem School.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I live in New Bern and regrettably, I would suggest steering clear.

New Bern might just be a racial time bomb getting ready to explode!

The best site to find out about schools is the North Carolina DPI site.

Kinston is the pits of the pits. It reminds me a post-zombie apocalypse movie set.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

If you want a smaller town environment, consider Farmville, which I like better over Winterville, although Winterville is not bad just a little hodge-podge for my taste.
I liked the way Farmville paid close attention to maintaining its historical district. None of those houses look dilapidated along there.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM

25 posts, read 47,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I would suggest getting closer to Greenville, which has more of the arts community because of ECU.

In reality though, Greenville still has a small town feel to it, its just it has significant traffic on some roads. Commuting to Kinston on Highway 11 is not bad.

Finally, your 24 y/o will much rather be in Greenville than in either Kinston or Goldsboro.

I should add that you didn't say how much you were going to spend...you may consider Trent Woods or the Trent River area of New Bern as well if you can afford something along the water. I believe Trent Woods does have its own Elem School.
Thanks for the info. We would like to keep in under 1400.00 per month to start as my income is up in the air right now. I am hoping to stay with my current employer and work remotely but it is not confirmed yet. If not I will be looking for work. I'm currently an HR Generalist with a supportive living community and really like the industry.

My biggest problem will be space. I need either 4 bedrooms or 3 with a bonus room as my older son will be living with us for a year or two until he pays off those pesky student loans.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
The whole area is fairly affordable in terms of size of house/lot for the price except the waterfront in New Bern. Check out Farmville to see if you like it. If not, look at at Winterville or Southeast Greenville.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:07 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish7lass2 View Post
Thanks for the info. We would like to keep in under 1400.00 per month to start as my income is up in the air right now. My biggest problem will be space. I need either 4 bedrooms or 3 with a bonus room as my older son will be living with us for a year or two until he pays off those pesky student loans.
If you end up moving to New Bern make sure you take the electric rates into consideration, especially if you are on a tight budget. Our electric bill last month was $600.00. Yes, you read it correctly, that was not a typo! Instead of living in New Bern city proper, move to an area where you can avoid the high rates such as Trent Woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina