Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 04:03 AM

56 posts, read 118,317 times

Advertisements

My DH and I are interested in Swansboro for several reasons. But upon reading some data on other sites, I have noticed bad ratings for crime, with the majority being theft/robberies. This is upsetting to me, as other communities listed on that site get better ratings for police protection and less crime. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeach50 View Post
My DH and I are interested in Swansboro for several reasons. But upon reading some data on other sites, I have noticed bad ratings for crime, with the majority being theft/robberies. This is upsetting to me, as other communities listed on that site get better ratings for police protection and less crime. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks.
I don't see anything exceptionally bad about the crime statistics, compared to other beach-side communities. I am looking at City-Data's profile for Swansboro, and it has an index of 381, which is a little higher than the national average of 306.

But you have to understand that the incorporated area of Swansboro is just a skinny strip along Highway 24. It covers most of the commercial businesses in town, and the town handles many tourists and transients from the base. So, there is shoplifting and theft from cars, etc. The statistics the OP saw probably represent this area, which is over-weighted with commercial properties and does not include the unincorporated parts of Swansboro.

The incorporated part of Swansboro has its own police department, web site here: Police Department - Town of Swansboro*

You might contact the police for more recent crime statistics. In addition, many places with Swansboro addresses are covered by the Onslow County Sheriff's Department. The outlying areas probably have less crime but that is covered in Onslow County statistics. There are also gated communities if you think that might help. I think you would enjoy living in Swansboro, but if you plan to be away from the home a lot, I would invest in a security system.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-23-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Good observation GA...the commercial component of transient, beach type towns are always going to be a little higher in crime stats.

I always used to use this example...in Myrtle Beach for decades, it was seemingly a rite of passage for kids to get picked up doing something wrong (underage drinking, property crime, etc...) while they were there on vacation. And of course they would do it in the commercial areas.

That doesn't mean it wasn't safe. It means people let their guard down and do stupid things...especially when alcohol is involved. More DUI's...that kind of stuff. Folks that move to the coast should expect that when looking at crime stats. What you are really concerned about is violent crimes.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
More DUI's...that kind of stuff. Folks that move to the coast should expect that when looking at crime stats. What you are really concerned about is violent crimes.
True. We don't have a lot of random violence like the bigger cities. There are few muggings or home invasions. Where there have been murders, they result from people who know each other getting into fights.

The average citizen does not really have to worry.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:09 PM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
The worst crime in Swansboro (city limits) is graffiti under the bridge and loitering by high school kids. Other than that it's probably one of the safest towns in America.

Now Hubert is a different story...

Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 PM

69 posts, read 87,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGoodBearBad View Post
The worst crime in Swansboro (city limits) is graffiti under the bridge and loitering by high school kids. Other than that it's probably one of the safest towns in America.

Now Hubert is a different story...
That's the crime that you're reading about from being incorporated into the town.

Well put!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:28 PM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rn.chandler View Post
That's the crime that you're reading about from being incorporated into the town.

Well put!
Are you from Swansboro? Username is an easy giveaway if you're who I think.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM

69 posts, read 87,238 times
I am, I think... if you think I am who I am. And, though I have no idea who you are, it wouldn't be hard to know who I am as my family name USED TO BE pretty well known there several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: