Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,292 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have read the threads on New Bern and Fairfield Harbour.....it is a great little city, with a fine downtown, a good community college, strong community volunteerism; several communities to select from, and some of those are planned unit type developments with amenities: I picked Fairfield Harbour as mine, and have never regretted the decision. I came in 1988, after my dad suggested I have a look...he found the place in 1983, after retiring from M&M/Mars Corp. I will always thank him for the recommendation. I wish all a safe journey to find an affordable, safe interesting place to live, to contribute to, and to brag about...to your friends and relatives. This is one fine place.

Last edited by Rosesquared; 10-16-2014 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:02 PM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
Rosesquared, I first drove through FFH in 1979, when my family and I relocated to North Carolina. Finally bought property in 1996 and relocated to the community in 1998. You state you have been here since 1988. So, hopefully we can agree that the FFH to which we relocated is not the community in which we reside today.

Let me just offer one personal experience for consideration. In late 1998 my wife and I contracted a local builder to construct our home on the lot we owned. Included in the contract specifications was a whole house security system. We had moved for just north of Charlotte where such a system was the norm. Our builder told us that the alarm system was a waste of money, that the locals do not even lock their doors. But, I insisted and he told me that there were no local security system installers, so we would have to spend a little more to get someone out of Morehead City about 40 miles away. I agreed and the system was installed.

In the past year or two the Board and Community Manager have mentioned their efforts to convince the Craven County Sheriff to locate a sub station in FFH to provide better response time when a deputy is needed. To my knowledge this has not happened but the sheriff's election is coming up next week, so standby. My only point is does the 1998 environment of unlocked doors and the 2014 environment where a local Sheriff sub station is viewed as advantageous sound similar or is this indicative of a change in our community?

Pete Drez

Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 AM

39 posts, read 126,070 times
Our Fairfield Harbour community remains a neighborly place, a very safe place to live and enjoy life. A few people may feel safer with expensive security systems; most of us feel no need for any such thing. We've owned property here for nearly twenty years and have known of only two incidents, one in '98, and one last year. Two years ago, some kids got into the pro shop and did some damage. That's it.

By the way, the candidate who proposed the substation here was not elected. Evidently, it was not that much of an issue.

Old 12-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Bogey1 needs an update on crime in our community. Here is a recent newspaper article that Bogey1 must have missed. The Sun Journal is the traditional newspaper in the area:

Fairfield Harbour break-ins lead to prison
By Sun Journal Staff
Published: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
David Thomas Pollak, 44, of New Bern, was sentenced to a total of seven to 14 years after entering guilty pleas to all pending charges against him.
From September to early December 2013, Pollak broke into more than a dozen homes in Fairfield Harbour during daylight hours on weekdays, and stole items ranging from electronics and jewelry to firearms. He disposed of many of the items to raise money to purchase illegal drugs, according to a news release issued by the office of the district attorney.
The victims of the crimes were able to piece together a rough description of Pollak at first. Then, a member of the Neighborhood Watch group emailed the Craven County Sheriff’s Office to report that Pollak had been found attempting to enter a residence.
Investigator Dan Garden was able to connect Pollak to a residence in which he lived. It was there that a search turned up several items of stolen property and conclusively tied Pollak to the string of crimes.
Pollak’s criminal record consisted of four previous offenses: a speeding ticket in Carteret County; a burglary conviction from Connecticut; a multiple-burglary conviction from Tennessee; and a felony theft, also from Tennessee.
Superior Court Judge John Nobles, who presided over the trial, noted Pollak’s age, criminal record and failed efforts to address his addiction issues. In addition to a total of 80 to 168 months in prison, he was ordered to pay restitution as a condition of his post-prison release, totaling $3,400.
The cases were investigated by the Craven County Sheriff’s Office and prosecuted in court by Assistant District Attorney Robert McAfee.

Pete Drez

Old 12-05-2014, 02:47 PM

As follow up to my 12/02/14 post, I offer an additional crime in Fairfield Harbour article that appeared in today's local newspaper. I continue to be amazed by the misrepresentation of reality by Bogey1 and others. Perhaps Bogey1 can also explain away why thousands of dues dollars have been spent by the POA erecting outdoor security cameras throughout the community in the past year or two!!

By Sun Journal Staff
Published: Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
A Jacksonville woman has been charged with felony larceny in connection with a case at a house she cleaned in Fairfield Harbour.

Lynn Pollak Mick, 45, was charged Thursday, according to a report from the Craven County Sheriff’s Office.

Craven County investigators said that Mick cleans houses in the Fairfield Harbour community of Craven County and stole money from one of her clients on Thanksgiving Day. The amount of money taken was undisclosed, but it was in the thousands of dollars, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Most of the money has been recovered, the release said.

The investigation is still in the early stages, said Investigator Mike Sawyer.

“We feel that there could be more victims out there,” he said. “If anyone feels like they were a victim, we ask that they give us a call.”

It is believed that Mick cleaned houses in the community for a number of years.

Additional reports are being investigated on the Pollak Cleaning Service, under which Mick operated. Similar complaints are also being examined in the Craven County area by the Sheriff’s Office. If anyone has any additional information, contact the Sheriff’s Office at 636-6623.

Mick is scheduled to have her first appearance in court today.

Pete Drez

Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
"Craven County investigators said that Mick cleans houses in the Fairfield Harbour community of Craven County and stole money from one of her clients on Thanksgiving Day. The amount of money taken was undisclosed, but it was in the thousands of dollars, according to the Sheriff’s Office. Most of the money has been recovered, the release said."
This sort of crime is not really an indication that Fairfield Harbour is unsafe. I would not have been prevented by more lights or gates.

The FH resident was very foolish to leave thousands of dollars in the house while using a housekeeper.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:29 PM

Goldenage1, so what is the take away from your posting. Volume of crime is not an indication of safety in a community? Theft of large amounts of money and perhaps other assets is OK as long as there is no physical violence? Where do you draw the line? Check our community history, what about drug arrests, what about murder many years back? Please tell all of us what level of crime you find acceptable? BTW, my answer is ZERO, allow any without consequences, and you will invite more frequent and more serious crime.

Pete Drez

Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM

Goldenage1, did you see the New Bern Sun Journal this week with the Opinion piece thanking local law enforcement for their efforts to resolve another house break-in, this time over Thanksgiving weekend 2014.

Bogey1, think this property owners wished he had made an investment in a home security system and likely saved himself from this intrusion?

Pete Drez

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
I bought the home at 1122 Barkentine .Will be moving in march 1st.Looking forward to meeting people in the community as we settle in .Any ballpark figures on flood insurance yearly? thanks

Old 02-08-2015, 01:11 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjb1953 View Post
I bought the home at 1122 Barkentine .Will be moving in march 1st.Looking forward to meeting people in the community as we settle in .Any ballpark figures on flood insurance yearly? thanks
Floodsmart.gov just says that it is high-risk and tells you to contact an agent: https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmar...v_residential=

My guess at the cost is under $800/year based on what I read from other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina