Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,819 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am thinking of moving to North. I love the beach and would like to purchase an inexpensive home in which I can add on, turning it into a mother daughter ranch house. live n N.J. and dislike it. The are live in now is very nice, but not friendly( everyone seems to be very money and back biters ) I am living back i the home I grew up in with my mother and son. I took care of my dad, until he passed away. The shore is only about an hour or so away, but the beaches are so crowded and dirty. If I go down to the Cape May area, 2 hours away, it is so lovely, but not affordable( 500.000 plus ) and taxes are so high. Taxes here are 200 a week! Yes, that is real. If I move to another town where the taxes are lower, the crime is high and I have to live with people who are not very friendly to white people. I like all people but naturally prefer to be around people who accept and like me.
I am in my fifties and single and am an artist. I am also a nurse, but retired from nursing a year ago. was just too burned out from all the sickness and lack of staff, it was just overload on a registered nurse and I could not take care of the patents properly. The big corporations just wanted to make positive all paperwork was complete, the heck with the patient. Hours and hours of documentation that I am legally bound to do and criminally subject to any errors. Too much with all the lawsuits going around that the nurses became so paranoid. I counted one day that I had to sign my name to 510 legal papers. Day after day and be responsible for doctor errors and all staff beneath my position. We had new grads that were having panic attacks! I have 20 years n. so I know what corners to cut without doing any harm to anyone, but this takes years and years of experience to be a good med surg supervisor. Difficult job. So now I am going back to my main love of life, art. I paid my dues and now my life is financially my own and I want to live by the beach, but not right on the coast.

I am looking to find a home with in a few miles of the beach. I don't want to be in a flood zone or hurricane area. I would also like to be by people, perhaps some night life to find a companion. I do not want to grow older alone. It would be nice to have a male partner, a nice southern gentleman who has his own money not mine. I have picked losers in the past who I let live off of me, until I couldn't take it any more. It did not start that way.
Please anyone have any suggestions as a nice area, not expensive, men, not too far from city life and close to the beach? I would love to live in Hawaii, but that is totally unaffordable for me for what I want. I also would consider the west coast and Maryland. I am just searching out where to go to find my dream life by the beach for the last 20 something years of my life, if I should be blesses to get that far in a healthy way.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,241,818 times
I'm sure you will find all that and more in North Carolina!

Old 06-25-2014, 07:40 AM

613 posts, read 747,874 times
All of NC coast is a potential hurricane zone. So that rules out NC.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,351,954 times
Try the West Coast. It's expensive, but no hurricanes.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,974,370 times
Wilmington has a good downtown and civic amenities. The rest of NC's coast is less developed. The beaches themselves are vulnerable to hurricanes, particularly on the Outer Banks, but on the mainland instead of the barrier islands you're fine. Downside is the crowds swell quite a bit in the summer on the beaches around Wilmington.

Morehead City is another possibility. It has yet to experience the same revitalization that Wilmington had, but it has access to Emerald Isle and Cape Lookout. Definitely affordable, more retirees there.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:19 PM

613 posts, read 747,874 times
I don't think they have hurricanes in Canada. I maybe wrong.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,320,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somee View Post
Hello!
Hours and hours of documentation that I am legally bound to do and criminally subject to any errors. Too much with all the lawsuits going around that the nurses became so paranoid. I counted one day that I had to sign my name to 510 legal papers. Day after day and be responsible for doctor errors and all staff beneath my position.
All the accountability and none of the rewards! Such is the life of us paeans. Well, like another poster said NC is very much a hurricane target so that rules that out.

I'm on board with Redzin for the West Coast. You'll also find lots of other artistic types and those who enjoy the lifestyle. Southern gentlemen aren't all exactly Rhett Butler, either. Plenty of scoundrels that you'll find anywhere else. Good luck with whatever you choose, but I think you should pack up your horse and ride towards the setting sun.. That's what I did.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,434,528 times
That Nicholas Sparks sets an interesting standard for beach living in the south and southern romantic partners : D

Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That Nicholas Sparks sets an interesting standard for beach living in the south and southern romantic partners : D
Yeah, but he makes that stuff up!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,434,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Yeah, but he makes that stuff up!
Right?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina