Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times

Advertisements

When I first visited Elizabeth City in 1985, the sign and screen of the Webb Drive-In were still intact. Can anybody tell me about the place? Opening and closing years? What kind of movies? Passion pit or family place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,415,474 times
I realize this is an old thread. I ran across it by accident. I live in Elizabeth City and use to go to this Drive-in quite often. I took this around 1988 riding my bike one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Webb Drive-In movie - Elizabeth City-drive-e-city.jpg  

Old 11-14-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I realize this is an old thread. I ran across it by accident. I live in Elizabeth City and use to go to this Drive-in quite often. I took this around 1988 riding my bike one day.
Thanks for replying. Funny that I also happened to be on-line right now. Can you tell me any more about the Webb Drive-In, please?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Thanks for replying. Funny that I also happened to be on-line right now. Can you tell me any more about the Webb Drive-In, please?
Growing up in this area. There were 2 Drive-ins we checked out every weekend. The Webb, in town, and the South 17 Drive-in. Both have been closed for a long time. All of the Webb has been torn down for the expansion of the college. Driving in, you paid at that little building pictured by my bike there.The Webb had a small building for concessions with the projection room on top. Not a big building. Walked up to a window to get what you wanted. The South 17 main building and brick concession stand is still standing in the field, behind Biggs Cadillac. They had great food. Was a good sized brick building. Was set up like a cafeteria, get a tray and walked down the line and picked out what you wanted and eat inside or take out. Remember lots of good food there.

Last edited by RcHydro; 11-14-2015 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Growing up in this area. There were 2 Drive-ins we checked out every weekend. The Webb, in town, and the South 17 Drive-in. Both have been closed for a long time. All of the Webb has been torn down for the expansion of the college. Driving in, you paid at that little building pictured by my bike there.The Webb had a small building for concessions with the projection room on top. Not a big building. Walked up to a window to get what you wanted. The South 17 main building and brick concession stand is still standing in the field, behind Biggs Cadillac. They had great food. Was a good sized brick building. Was set up like a cafeteria, get a tray and walked down the line and picked out what you wanted and eat inside or take out. Remember lots of good food there.
Thanks for the info.

What kind of movies played at the Webb and the South 17? Regular movies that you'd otherwise see at an indoor theater, or B-movies like "She-Devils On Wheels" and gore/horror like "2000 Maniacs"?

Were they family-type places or a bit more sleazy?

I haven't noticed the site of the South 17 when I've been in Elizabeth City. I'll have to take a look for it the next time I'm there.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 AM

At the South 17, at the time. They played first run movies, just at a drive-in. Some PG, Some G movies. Remember lots of people with their kids there. But, as you were leaving after the movie was over, 11 o'clock or so. Driving out past the marquee. While you were watching the movie, they were changing the marquee to X rated movies to be shown next. Leaving one side of the drive-in, they were entering the other side to see the adult movies.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM

OK, the South 17 was family in the evening, sleazy late at night.

How about the Webb? I'd think that being closer to town, it would be less likely to play the X-rated stuff. Also, any idea of how it got its name? Owner's family name perhaps?

Old 11-16-2015, 01:52 PM

89 posts, read 133,738 times
We have discovered another great builder in SJP - Cruse Construction - Travis Cruse.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:07 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcountess View Post
We have discovered another great builder in SJP - Cruse Construction - Travis Cruse.
Wrong thread.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK, the South 17 was family in the evening, sleazy late at night.

How about the Webb? I'd think that being closer to town, it would be less likely to play the X-rated stuff. Also, any idea of how it got its name? Owner's family name perhaps?
I dont remember the Webb playing X-rated stuff. Remember the screen was facing the road. I dont think that would of worked out too well. Dont know much about the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: