Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM

288 posts, read 414,221 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
Another DMV question.
I got my NC driver's license and now I need to register my car. This is my first time living in another state. Their website is very confusing and I can't get through on the phone.

Do I need a new title? Do I need a new inspection down here?
Can I surrender my NY plates in NC or do I have to mail them back to NY?
I thought all I needed was a new registration but looking at their site it seems like I need more.

Would love feedback from someone who went through this.

Thanks!

Last edited by capnb; 07-24-2014 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
Yes to new title, yes to inspection. We had to mail our plates back to Maryland, so I assume it is the same with NY.

We also had to drive the cars to the insurance agents office so they could verify the car's condition.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Yes to new title, yes to inspection. We had to mail our plates back to Maryland, so I assume it is the same with NY.

We also had to drive the cars to the insurance agents office so they could verify the car's condition.
Why would you have to drive the cars to the insurance agents office?
I better not have to do that. I have geico and the closest office is hours away.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Why would you have to drive the cars to the insurance agents office?
I better not have to do that. I have geico and the closest office is hours away.
Well, I hope you do not have to drive to Geico. The State Farm agent wanted to verify that the car was in good condition, and that it was what I said it was.

We recently changed to Liberty Mutual, and they did not ask to see the car.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I hope you do not have to drive to Geico. The State Farm agent wanted to verify that the car was in good condition, and that it was what I said it was.

We recently changed to Liberty Mutual, and they did not ask to see the car.
Oh, I thought you meant that the DMV asked you do that. I already have active insurance with Geico and they didn't ask to do anything.

I was just curious about what I would need for the registration. I also have proof of insurance for the DMV.

Also, the title form says it requires a notary. Did you need to have it notarized before going to the dmv or could they do it there?

Last edited by capnb; 07-24-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Also, the title form says it requires a notary. Did you need to have it notarized before going to the dmv or could they do it there?
I did not have to use a notary. Maybe that is only if you are selling the car. I just turned in the title at the DMV registration place, and I received a new one in the mail 1-2 weeks later.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I did not have to use a notary. Maybe that is only if you are selling the car. I just turned in the title at the DMV registration place, and I received a new one in the mail 1-2 weeks later.
Did you have to have it inspected before you went in for the registration?
The nc dmvs site says "If you’re moving to North Carolina from another state, you will be allowed to register your vehicle without an initial inspection. When your next annual registration renewal is due, you must have the vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to the plate expiration date."

I was just curious if that was true.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Did you have to have it inspected before you went in for the registration?
The nc dmvs site says "If you’re moving to North Carolina from another state, you will be allowed to register your vehicle without an initial inspection. When your next annual registration renewal is due, you must have the vehicle inspected up to 90 days prior to the plate expiration date."
Things may have changed, but three years ago we had to have the cars inspected either before or soon after registering them. They were both older cars (1999 and 2001). Some of the conditions were expensive to comply with, such as repairing the cause of all of the useless warning lights. My DH had to spend $1200. Good luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM

The dmv is such a confusing and unorganized entity.
Same thing with getting a license. The website says one thing, people with experience say another thing, and when you show up to the dmv they say a completely different thing.

I'll go tomorrow and see what they say. Was hoping to avoid multiple trips. I hate it there.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 AM

638 posts, read 994,203 times
Quote:
Hi guys,
Another DMV question.
I got my NC driver's license and now I need to register my car. This is my first time living in another state. Their website is very confusing and I can't get through on the phone.

I thought all I needed was a new registration but looking at their site it seems like I need more.

Would love feedback from someone who went through this.

Thanks!
You definitely have to have it inspected before registration. Obviously,we didn't have to turn our Florida tags in because they are still sitting out in our garage. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina