Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 07:52 AM

5 posts, read 4,507 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate within a year to the southport area. I work as clinical support in a hospital and am wondering what the job market in the area is like. I am 49 and single so would like a safe neighborhood and to be no more than 30 minutes to the water. COL is important. Vermont is very expensive to live. Then I was told the NC will have ALOT of bugs and taxes, is that true? Any areas other than southport that I should look at? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Tracyalana; 08-02-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyalana View Post
Then I was told the NC will have ALOT of bugs and taxes, is that true? Any areas other than southport that I should look at? Thanks in advance for your help.
Certainly look at Wilmington, Jacksonville and Greenville for hospital jobs. There are many residential towns like Swansboro and Beaufort where you could enjoy living.

Yes there are bugs. Mosquitoes are especially miserable. North Carolina is not especially cheap for taxes. It is about in the middle of the pack among states for tax burden.

Please scope out the job market on a tool like Indeed.com as I have no way of knowing your qualifications. Please also check out other areas like Delaware, Virginia and South Carolina where you may find a better tax picture.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:32 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,922 times
Brunswick County's real estate taxes are lower than New Hanover as long as you stay out of Southport City proper.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 PM

61 posts, read 115,165 times
We moved from Maine to Hampstead (right outside of Wilmington). Property taxes are about the same as ours were in Maine, state tax is higher. We are very near several beaches. As for bugs.....I have always thought Maine mosquitos were bad, and so far...I have not had any major issues with them here. Now...with that being said, I have had some issues with fire ants and chiggers. I must be allergic to them, because one bite on my foot, and my entire foot swells up for days. Everyone complains about the snakes, but I have only seen two in the year I have lived here, and neither were dangerous. I do know that snakes can be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina