Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 5,883 times

Advertisements

Hello, I know there are a couple of similar posts to what I'm about to ask, but I couldn't quite find the answers I needed. Also some were a bit out of date. After a week of reading this site and all of your answers I decided to make an account and post my question(s). So, let's begin!

I'm moving to Greenville, NC to start fresh. I'm basically coming from Iowa though I have visited the town once or twice. Majority of my family lives on the outskirts of Kinston, but that town is a no fly zone (and you all know why) Anyway, a little info about me: I'm 26, disabled veteran, not too big on the party scene but doesn't have to have absolute quiet either. I chose Greenville over Wilmington because of being closer to family and affordability.

Now here is the problem. My VA compensation is the only source of income I have right now, which is a very decent amount at 70%. I plan on either A) Using my GI Bill to attend PCC and transfer to ECU or B) Find some work, purchase a better A to B vehicle and then get into school.

So here's the list of questions

My income before school/work is 1330 a month. Could anyone -please- tell me what are some affordable 1 bedroom apartments in the 300-450 before utils range?
I've looked all over and the reviews were mostly negative from everywhere that wasn't $550 or above.

Are bedbugs a problem in the lower end apartments? 350-$400 range? Or bugs in general?
Im not even going lie to you, I'm almost deathly afraid of bugs but would tackle wild animals in an instant.

Other big question is, do all the apartments have the 30% of income requirement? I ask this because I'd prefer one of the 500-550 apartments I've seen online but I'm not sure if they'd let me in off the bat, since I'm neither working nor in school when I get to the office. I will definitely have enough saved up to pay for a full 1st rent and full deposit/ utils and plan on working as soon as I get a place to at least have furniture cash before school.

I hope this post wasn't too all over the place. Thank you for reading and I greatly appreciate any answers you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 AM

13,379 posts, read 27,109,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlover88 View Post
My income before school/work is 1330 a month. Could anyone -please- tell me what are some affordable 1 bedroom apartments in the 300-450 before utils range?
I've looked all over and the reviews were mostly negative from everywhere that wasn't $550 or above.

Are bedbugs a problem in the lower end apartments? 350-$400 range? Or bugs in general?
I think you should assume you will have to find a part-time job, such that you can afford the better apartment at $550. If the reviews complain about bugs, there may well be bugs (including cockroachs) when you get there.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:08 AM

120 posts, read 229,611 times
I would suggest looking into Affordable Housing options. There are some really nice apartments around here. If you were looking into the downtown Greenville area... Nathaniel Village looks awesome! Or if you wanted to live in Winterville, Wintergreen looks nice! Affordable Housing and Housing Authorities in Pitt County, North Carolina

Perhaps contact the Greenville Housing Authority: Home

Best of luck!

Old 06-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Thanks you two for the quick responses! I'll definitely check them out NCPLANNER

Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 18,172 times
I would avoid Greenville at all costs. Don't move here. Just don't. This place is horrible

Old 06-12-2015, 06:35 PM

20 posts, read 27,050 times
If you want to attend PCC, why not live in Winterville? There are lots of townhome developments near there. Have you considered finding a place to live by renting from a private property owner rather than a large apartment complex? Even some of the townhomes in Winterville go for $40,000 or so. I just did a quick search, and you can even buy a property for less than $50,000 in Winterville, within a quick bike ride from PCC. If those places are selling for that price, surely there are places for rent in those developments for well within your means.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Well I intended on attending PCC and then transferring to ECU or just jump straight into ECU depending on if my chapter 33 covers me. @bichons, I honestly never really thought about buying a home. I nearly fell out my chair when I saw those prices for the houses. I've always thought houses never really sold for less than 200k so it never even crossed my mind. Also I don't think I'd be in Greenville for more than 5 years if all goes well. I'd like to get my degree and certs and hopefully move again for a decent job.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:55 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,773,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bichonsforev View Post
If you want to attend PCC, why not live in Winterville? There are lots of townhome developments near there. Have you considered finding a place to live by renting from a private property owner rather than a large apartment complex? Even some of the townhomes in Winterville go for $40,000 or so. I just did a quick search, and you can even buy a property for less than $50,000 in Winterville, within a quick bike ride from PCC. If those places are selling for that price, surely there are places for rent in those developments for well within your means.
OP: You do not want to live in Sterling Pointe Townhomes. They're cheap and getting cheaper yearly for a good reason. You'd be better off at Rosemont Apts than Sterling, but I wouldn't recommend either one.

Have you considered being in a roommate situation?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 27,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlover88 View Post
Also I don't think I'd be in Greenville for more than 5 years if all goes well. I'd like to get my degree and certs and hopefully move again for a decent job.
Understood. There are still many condo and town home developments which have units for rent, I'd encourage you to check on that as well. Best of luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 07:40 AM

16 posts, read 20,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaMorticia View Post
I would avoid Greenville at all costs. Don't move here. Just don't. This place is horrible
Is it the place, or your life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina