Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,888 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've read a lot of posts about moving to the Greenville area, but some are a bit old and I'm just looking for refreshed/different perspectives and something with a bit more substance, then "Greenville is great" "that place stinks, etc"

I'm about to accept a position with a Greenville company and will be relocating my family to the area from NJ. Just looking for insight into specific family oriented neighborhoods/locations. I currently commute approx. 25 miles/30 minutes and would be looking in that sphere for a potential neighborhood.

But a few critical items to consider. I have young kids 8/5. We're blessed to currently live in a top ranked NJ public school system and have been discouraged to see a lot of the rankings on Great Schools about this area. Private school is certainly an option. Both of my kids are extremely active with Football, baseball, soccer and basketball, so community leagues are essential.

I do have a million other questions, but really if you could name some decent family oriented neighborhoods/locations, a lot of those other questions will be answered. (like crime, things to do, etc.)
Probably would be helpful to know that we're looking for 3/4 bedroom houses in the $250-400k market.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read & respond!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
I can't help you specifically, but I just want to make sure you realize what a huge culture shock you (and you're family) is facing. I also think you should definitely investigate private schools.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I hear you on the culture shock. And it is definitely slower pace, but I can get into that pretty quickly!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:44 AM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
I think the best area for you would be Winterville around the Thomas Langston Rd./Frog Level Rd. Area. A lot of new construction type houses out in that area can be easily had with your budget (usually starts around 150k and goes up til about 500K depending on what type of house you want). The schools out there in Winterville are the best in the county (and possible the general area around say 50 miles), although I don't think that the schools here will be as good as NJ (or any county in NC in general).

You could go the private route. Winterville just open a charter academy on Fire Tower Rd., but I wouldn't be surprise if enrollment was already filled by now. There are other schools like Oakwood School, Greenville Christian Academy, Faith Christian Academy, etc.

Also what company would you work for? Be mindful if you choose this area and your company is on the other side of town, traffic can get bad during the 7:00 am rush and the 5:00 Pm rush.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks very much Mr ENC! I appreciate the specific info! We are actively looking at the private schools and have heard of a few of them. That's great neighborhood info.

May seem like a silly question, but is Time Warner the main player for Cable/Internet service? Or does Verizon or Comcast have a presence yet?

As for traffic and I am smiling as I'm typing this, I commuted into NYC for several years and Jersey is pretty much a parking lot at rush hour for us now. So if Winterville is 7-12 miles from Greenville, am I looking at 20 minutes or an hour to get through town at rush hour?

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot52 View Post
May seem like a silly question, but is Time Warner the main player for Cable/Internet service? Or does Verizon or Comcast have a presence yet?

As for traffic and I am smiling as I'm typing this, I commuted into NYC for several years and Jersey is pretty much a parking lot at rush hour for us now. So if Winterville is 7-12 miles from Greenville, am I looking at 20 minutes or an hour to get through town at rush hour?

Thanks again!!!
Suddenlink is the cable provider.

Winterville and Greenville touch. You can get from anywhere to anywhere in the Greenville/Winterville area, at rush hour, in less than a half hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina