Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:31 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,448 times

Advertisements

I'm continually appalled by the violence committed here in wilmington on a near daily basis. Murder and violence is in the news daily here. It's not limited to one small section of town either. It happens downtown, near the hospital, in kure beach, and here in ogden. Time of day doesn't matter either, yesterday someone was shot on a main road at 11 am.

What's happening here and why is violence so out of control??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:26 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
I'm continually appalled by the violence committed here in wilmington on a near daily basis. Murder and violence is in the news daily here. It's not limited to one small section of town either. It happens downtown, near the hospital, in kure beach, and here in ogden. Time of day doesn't matter either, yesterday someone was shot on a main road at 11 am.

No insult intended but, you sound very young.

With the media ALWAYS remember, 'If it bleeds, it LEADS"

Have checked out the REAL stats from the police?

Have you checked out any other cities the same size as Wilmington to compare them?

Hint, violence is NOT out of control.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

"Wilmington violent crimes
MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT REPORT TOTAL 7 65* 253 390 RATE PER 1,000 0.06 0.58 2.26 3.48 * Rape figures for this city adjusted from legacy to current definition based on FBI guidelines. Population 316,128,839

United States violent crimes

MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT

REPORT TOTAL 14,196 108,612 345,031 724,149 RATE PER 1,000 0.04 0.34 1.09 2.29

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM

well, if 35 is very young I'll take it as a complement. I'm also pretty aware of newsertainment always inflating the bad news.

To cite your source there are 715 violent crimes in a city of 112,000 people. That's pretty high no matter how you slice it. The city near phoenix I moved from with double the population has less violent crimes. I'm a little leery of your source though, I don't see where they indicate the year their stats came from.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Time of day doesn't matter either, yesterday someone was shot on a main road at 11 am.

The location of the shooting was apparently in an apartment complex in the 2100 block of Market Street. See this article: WPD releases name of homicide victim found off Market Street - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

The violence in Wilmington has similar causes in smaller and larger cities like Kinston and Baltimore. There are people who solve their disputes with guns, and the disputes often are about drugs. In fact, the statistics in Kinston are worse per capita, and Baltimore is much worse.

The only thing an ordinary resident can do is stay away from areas like that. The police can't "prevent" violence within our Constituion.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-19-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 10:18 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
A lot of Wilmington crime is also related to college students, tourists and alcohol. Fights, break-ins, etc.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

The only thing an ordinary resident can do is stay away from areas like that.
that's the thing. When i lived in Pennsylvania we knew the parts of the towns to avoid. Same with phoenix. Crime was pretty isolated to neighborhoods.

Around here it's everywhere. I live in Ogden, an area most say is decent, and in the last year several meth labs have been discovered and people were killed less than a quarter mile away from my place a few months back. How do you avoid it?

the wilmington police chief said there have been 7 murders so far this year. That doesn't include the unincorporated areas like ogden, porters neck, etc. It also doesn't include direct neighboring cities.

RAW: WPD Chief Ralph Evangelous on Market St. homicide - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Old 08-19-2015, 11:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
Quote:
well, if 35 is very young I'll take it as a complement. I'm also pretty aware of newsertainment always inflating the bad news.

To cite your source there are 715 violent crimes in a city of 112,000 people. That's pretty high no matter how you slice it. The city near phoenix I moved from with double the population has less violent crimes. I'm a little leery of your source though, I don't see where they indicate the year their stats came from.
There's your problem...your using the wrong numbers.

You stated there was crime in Kure Beach, downtown, etc...and then you used the City limit numbers as justification of high crime.

The Wilmington region is more like 300K full time residents. How many houses are seasonal along the beaches, which includes the Brunswick and Pender beaches...it raises the SUMMER population to more like 375K or so (its been said Oak Island is 15,000 people in the summer...like 1400 the rest of the year).

And how many people VISIT Wilmington, staying with friends, hotels, etc...

Your number is closer to 400K in the summer (You quoted 112K). That's a good size city/region...and consider that New Hanover County ABC sales are 2nd in the State...even though the County is probably 10th or so in population. It is #1 in population per square mile (and that's just full time residents). Those people visiting Wilmington and heading to the beaches are buying alcohol, and in reality it is very safe when you consider that.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
that's the thing. When i lived in Pennsylvania we knew the parts of the towns to avoid. Same with phoenix. Crime was pretty isolated to neighborhoods.

Around here it's everywhere. I live in Ogden, an area most say is decent, and in the last year several meth labs have been discovered and people were killed less than a quarter mile away from my place a few months back. How do you avoid it?

the wilmington police chief said there have been 7 murders so far this year. That doesn't include the unincorporated areas like ogden, porters neck, etc. It also doesn't include direct neighboring cities.
Don't associate with meth dealers and users.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:16 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
I live in Ogden, an area most say is decent, and in the last year several meth labs have been discovered and people were killed less than a quarter mile away from my place a few months back. How do you avoid it?
I also live in a respectable area, but some young people were running a meth lab out of their parent's second home in a waterfront community.

All you can do is be vigilant about your neighbors. If you smell anything unusual, or see an unusual lot of visitors to a house, ask the police to investigate.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-19-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
There's your problem...your using the wrong numbers.

You stated there was crime in Kure Beach, downtown, etc...and then you used the City limit numbers as justification of high crime.

The Wilmington region is more like 300K full time residents. How many houses are seasonal along the beaches, which includes the Brunswick and Pender beaches...it raises the SUMMER population to more like 375K or so (its been said Oak Island is 15,000 people in the summer...like 1400 the rest of the year).

And how many people VISIT Wilmington, staying with friends, hotels, etc...

Your number is closer to 400K in the summer (You quoted 112K). That's a good size city/region...and consider that New Hanover County ABC sales are 2nd in the State...even though the County is probably 10th or so in population. It is #1 in population per square mile (and that's just full time residents). Those people visiting Wilmington and heading to the beaches are buying alcohol, and in reality it is very safe when you consider that.
you're quick to blame tourists, but very few of these shootings have had someone from other states being arrested for it. most the people arrested are from wilmington metro....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina