Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,735 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I want to move to North Carolina within the next 1-2 years and I am having a hard time deciding on where would be a good area to relocate to. I have been researching several places, but I think it would be easier to get opinions from people instead of websites. So, basically I was looking for an area that is relatively close to the beach with little to no snowfall. An hour away or less from the coast would be acceptable. I am 21 years old and looking for a safe yet interesting place to live. I haven't found any areas near the beach that have impressed me yet. . any suggestions?

If I cannot find an area near the beach, I was considering an area near Raleigh. I live close to Pittsburgh (30 minutes away) right now, and wouldn't mind living close to the city again. Any suggestion for moving near Raleigh?

My roommate is a business/marketing major and will be moving with me, so I was wondering about your thoughts on which area would be better for her career? I am thinking Raleigh, but then again I don't know much about the coast of North Carolina. I will be receiving a degree in early childhood, so I can pretty much get a job more easily than she can, so I'm trying to work around my roommate's agenda. Thanks for all your help!

-Bethany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:42 PM

713 posts, read 3,930,324 times
Smile Need some more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyRae5 View Post
Hey everyone!
I want to move to North Carolina within the next 1-2 years and I am having a hard time deciding on where would be a good area to relocate to. I have been researching several places, but I think it would be easier to get opinions from people instead of websites. So, basically I was looking for an area that is relatively close to the beach with little to no snowfall. An hour away or less from the coast would be acceptable. I am 21 years old and looking for a safe yet interesting place to live. I haven't found any areas near the beach that have impressed me yet. . any suggestions?

If I cannot find an area near the beach, I was considering an area near Raleigh. I live close to Pittsburgh (30 minutes away) right now, and wouldn't mind living close to the city again. Any suggestion for moving near Raleigh?

My roommate is a business/marketing major and will be moving with me, so I was wondering about your thoughts on which area would be better for her career? I am thinking Raleigh, but then again I don't know much about the coast of North Carolina. I will be receiving a degree in early childhood, so I can pretty much get a job more easily than she can, so I'm trying to work around my roommate's agenda. Thanks for all your help!

-Bethany
It would help to know what impresses you. Wilmington is the only real city along North Carolina's coast. So if you are looking for a city, that is about your only option in NC.

You will see very little snow east of Raleigh. Obviously Raleigh offers lots of job opportunities.

Jobs are always the biggest challenge. So my recommendation is to look for the jobs first and then move to where you can find jobs.

If Wilmington isn't your cup of tea, you'll be looking at small town NC for the rest of the coast. We live on the Crystal Coast, which is safe with good schools but doesn't have an over abundance of jobs.

Our real estate firm hired someone last year with marketing/business experience. There are lots of real estate firms along the coast. As you are probably aware, real estate is in a real slowdown right now.

I know of another young college graduate who moved to the Myrtle Beach area and another who is in Charleston, SC. Then there is also Virginia Beach.

From what I can Charleston is pretty at the top of the list among areas for young people, but your requirements might be different.

The more you tell people about what you want, the more answers you will get.

Last edited by dsobotta; 01-27-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: left out word

Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 68,133 times
Raleigh/Triangle area is better for jobs, but the beach is the beach. Fabulous. they still get snow in Raleigh, but we rarely get it in Wilmington. It is a college town, so that helps with the young and vibrant vibe. Very pretty, but very flat. Hot summers. Warm winters! Jan, Feb and March are the coldest. 3 months is pretty much all we see of winter, and there will still be 70 degree days interspersed. All in all, very nice here.
You are welcome any time.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,864 times
Hi Bethany. I feel like I can offer you some good advice as I currently live in Wilmington and used to live in the Raleigh area (grew up there). For a 21 year old, there is much more to do in the Wilmington area. There are many young people here b/c of the University and the beach. As far as jobs, you're going to have a MUCH better chance with employment in the Raleigh area. The pay is typically much higher than here in Wilmington. Raleigh is just a much bigger area...and there are many smaller towns surrounding (Cary, Wake Forest, Garner, Apex, Morrisville, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc.) Hope that helps you some

Old 02-22-2008, 11:58 AM

13 posts, read 51,998 times
Default I've been there, done that....

Hi there, I've been in your shoes and I've lived in that area. For your age I would recommend Greenville, NC. I grew up in Snow Hill, 30 minutes from Greenville, and it was considered the happening place. Raleigh, in my opinion, is too far from that beach if your goal is to be relatively close. Greenville is a college town, ECU, and the people are really laid back and easy going. It doesn't have the fast pace and excitement of a bigger city like Raleigh but it has enough people in your age group to make it exciting. The summers are filled with the question of, "What beach are you heading to this weekend?" You won't get that in Raleigh.

Wilmington is a very exciting town but being right on the beach leaves one to start fearing hurricane season. You won't be taping your windows or worried if your car's going to blow away in Greenville.

Your roomate may have a harder time finding a job in Greenville, I guess that would depend in what area she wanted to use her degree in. Raleigh would definitely provide more job opportunities, as bigger cities usually do.

The cost of living is great in Greenville. Raleigh is less affordable, but the increase in pay makes it comparable to Greenville.

Is the beach important? Is a small college town environment more of what you're looking for? Do you want really decent shopping and good food? Do you want to have a sense of neighborliness and comfort? Do you want a more settled and relaxed area? Would you be happy with making an average salary? If your answers are YES than I would highly recommend Greenville (no other town besides that unless you want to live right on the beach). Greenville is also about 1 hour from Raleigh so you could take advantage of the huge malls, outlets, and concerts there.

Is a happening night life important? Do you want more variations in ethnic groups and age groups? Do you want to get the highest pay for your job field? Do you like city life? Then Raleigh is perfect.

You really can't go wrong with either place.

Regardless of where you chose to live, I would live in the city limits. With gas prices these days you'll spend more in gas to live outside of Raleigh or Greenville than you would save in rent. My sister lives in Raleigh about 2 miles from Crabtree Valley Mall. Their home is beautiful and they were on a shoestring budget when they bought it. They have extremely reasonable prices for rent and homes considering how much they pay there.

Good Luck!! I know this was really long. I'm just excited for you and me, as I'm moving to one of those areas in the next year also! I think I'm leaning more towards Greenville, only because my love for NC beaches outways my love of the city life.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM

450 posts, read 2,322,258 times
Raleigh area is better for jobs, but someone your age would probably like to live closer to the beaches- you'd probably like Wilmington. For safety and to be more centrally located, you might want to try Brunswick County but this is probably better for families, and the problem with it for 2 young people who'll be renting (did you say you're renting or did I just infer that when you mentioned a roommate?)- the job market can be hard to get a better paying job here to afford housing, and in Brunswick County there is not much in the way of apartments to rent. You might want to try North Myrtle Beach, SC...but my thinking with Brunswick County is that you would be in a safe place that's quiet and centrally located between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach so that you might have choices of those 2 places to find a job and you can live quietly yet be close to a lot of fun things for people your age. When I was your age I would have preferred Ocean Isle Beach for most of my beachgoing to relax, then would have gone to Myrtle for fun and excitement or would have gone more north up to Carolina Beach or somewhere like that. The best of both worlds.

You should probably see where you can both get jobs. A lot of the places around Raleigh that I know about have high costs of living.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM

261 posts, read 1,217,211 times
Default My twentysomething son left Wilmington for Denver!

BethanyRae5 - I lived in Wilmington my entire life and then moved to the Raleigh area in 2000.

Wilmington is a ton of fun if you can manage to make some friends fairly quickly. Housing is fairly expensive and good paying jobs are tough to find. There are lots of people your age, so you should be able to fare well.

Raleigh/Cary/Durham area on the other hand is where I intend to live for a long time. Lots of jobs, housing is affordable, diverse population, etc. The area is just beautiful too with the rolling terrain and lovely trees.

I won't pretend my new home town is a happening, ultra hip place to call home though. Not a thrill a minute if that is what you want. But happy, wholesome, safe and friendly.

My son is in his twenties, and began to feel that Wilmington was too small and lacking in job opportunities. He wanted more, so a few years ago he moved to Colorado. After 2 years, he moved home again to Wilmington. Same cloistered, stifled feelings resurfaced. He's back in Denver and having a blast. He makes friends easily and quickly which helps tremendously. Homesickness sets in now and then though.

Good luck with your adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina