Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 4,808 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm hoping to move to the Leland/Wilmington area before the end of the year. Was hoping someone would be willing to look at their HOA Regs and tell me what they say about a online home based business. My business in online only - no retail - so I have the US postal service pick up every day at my house and the UPS/FedEx trucks do drop off small packages a couple times a week. I'm looking to rent a house in a pool community - but I don't want to spend $6k and get moved in somewhere only to find I'm breaking the rules. I can't find copies of regs online for any of the local communities. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 02:55 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,411,883 times
Why not just find a home you like and see what the HOA rules are for it? I don't understand what other peoples HOA rules have to do with anything.

I also doubt any HOA rules say anything about postal/fed ex deliveries.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:01 PM

Yes - I'm actively looking at homes online - I live 800 miles away though - so the plan is to make one trip down to look in person and lease a home. I've never lived in a community with homeowner regs - and this is for me, a big and expensive move. I would feel a lot better to know for sure that my business is within the rules - before I spend time and money finding a place - that's why I was hoping to find someone that would check. From what I've read - some associations have rules about home based businesses - but I can't find the actual rules from any of the communities in the Leland/Wilmington area.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,411,883 times
When you see a potential house for rent online, call and ask the owner/realtor/property manager for a copy of the HOA documents. Its irrelevant what the rules are in a community you're not living in.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:49 PM

Naturally, as I get closer to really finalizing my plans - I'll want to see the document for my community. I just was hoping to get an idea now from a community or two. These are the things that keep me up at night as I ponder this major change in my life!!

Old 08-30-2015, 03:53 PM

13,390 posts, read 27,215,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by we.ndy View Post
Naturally, as I get closer to really finalizing my plans - I'll want to see the document for my community. I just was hoping to get an idea now from a community or two. These are the things that keep me up at night as I ponder this major change in my life!!
Why don't you just be up-front with a Realtor and tell her that you want to rent a house that allows you to run a business from home?

FWIW, I live in an HOA community and there are many wives who run small businesses like selling cosmetics, housewares and jewelry. I don't think there are rules against that, but you can't run a day-care center or a contracting business out of the house. I don't really know what other HOA's allow or not.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Just as an example, I am attaching the relevant section of the Mimosa Bay (of Sneads Ferry) Covenants. All they say is that you are restricted to "residential use". Maybe the county or state laws interpret that as including a home-based business which is not "noxious".
Attached Thumbnails
Question about HOA Rules in Leland/Wilmington-secetionofcovenants.jpg  

Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I'm feeling a little less stressed - like maybe I can actually make this work out! I'm separating from my husband and moving out of state for the first time - and don't know anyone (yet) in the area. I'm just trying to prevent major catastrophes before I get there!!

Old 08-30-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by we.ndy View Post
I'm just trying to prevent major catastrophes before I get there!!
We are in a fairly loose HOA. I won't guarantee anything about stricter HOA's such as Landfall. I think that using a Realtor to find a rental would be a good idea. (Sorry, I can't recommend anyone.)

One of my neighbors also sold insurance from his upstairs office. He wasn't permitted a sign, but all his work came from the Internet, so the lack of a sign made no difference.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 PM

Yes - that will be the same for me . . . I don't need/want any signage and the only people that come to the house are delivery people - but I do get a lot of deliveries! Just don't want to make my neighbors mad. I'll definitely check it out before I sign on the dotted line - but it's a question that's been lingering in the back of my mind - worrying me. It is my sole form of income - so I have to be where it's allowed. I live in CT now - in a single family home - and my town just wanted me to fill out a registration form - but they didn't have any fees associated with it - and other than that - no one cares. But going to a whole new region - and hopefully in a pool community - I really have my heart set on that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina