Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,510,897 times

Advertisements

Would never want to see someone else go through this.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Without cd, none of us would now have this info. I am so sorry you had to go through this but very thankful you shared your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:27 AM

Yep, before they loaded us it was $5900, at 11 pm after everything loaded it jumped to over $12,000. And we still don't have 3 bedroom sets and a dining room set and chairs. Amazing to say the lease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw55 View Post
A quick googling of moving companies will bring up many stories similar to this. Either they lose your stuff or they hold it for more money. I'm sure we're going to end up using a POD or something along those lines.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,043,345 times
biscman - So sorry this happened to you - this is my worst fear about moving LD. I mentioned this in the Retirement forum and someone said there was an article in the Sun NY Times that talked about this company and the many problems - their license has been canceled. Hard to believe this would be allowed to keep happening with just an oh well attitude. Hope you get all your things back.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,393,861 times
Use a national company like Atlas, United, Mayflower, etc, or North Carolina company. I've never heard of that happening here. Sorry it happened to you.

Don't Become a Moving Company Victim | Investigate Before Hiring A Mover - Consumer Reports News
NC Department of Justice: Moving
US Department of Transportation: Search Movers and Complaint History

TROSA is a great Durham NC based moving company. I have used them for intrastate moves and highly recommend them. Their website says they also do state to state moves. TROSA Residential Moving

Old 09-28-2015, 01:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,876,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
That's the major problem. It appears they are a Virtual co. with no brick and mortar. Guardian Moving Systems has a fictitious address on their paperwork saying they are located in South Bend Indiana, I called the South Bend police and the said that unfortunately there is no such street or such company in South Bend, Ind. The sales office is supposedly in Beachwood, Ohio according to their paperwork and when I called the Beachwood police I got the same story. The Customer service Manager works out of Florida somewhere and when I asked for her address she said" we are not allowed to give out that information. I provided all of this to the Tinton Falls Police dept. but didn't get a warm feeling that anyone was going to investigate this as we are no longer a Garden State resident.

Dept of Transportation sorta blem me off as well stating THEIR ARE HUNDREDS OF CASES LIKE THIS GOING ON IN THE nORTHEAST
All the more reason to post in a Northeastern forum to warn them, if you haven't.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:53 PM

805 posts, read 2,008,867 times
Just as an FYI...

we used Atlas Van Lines 800-252-8855 for the move from NJ to St James.....

a flawless move, from packing AND itemizing AND numbering the dishes and all other items meticulously, to on time delivery, nice company to do business with.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Yea, I read the article and the write-up with the BBB. If you call the main # they are still taking on new customers today even though they are supposedly shut down. Can't believe the authorities can't track them down..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
biscman - So sorry this happened to you - this is my worst fear about moving LD. I mentioned this in the Retirement forum and someone said there was an article in the Sun NY Times that talked about this company and the many problems - their license has been canceled. Hard to believe this would be allowed to keep happening with just an oh well attitude. Hope you get all your things back.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,038,978 times
I can't believe you paid thousands more dollars then quoted over a phone call. There had to be some red flags along the way. Why did you choose this service? Did they have a too good to be true price,originally? Why didn't you call police when the extortion started? That's a big price difference.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 AM

Reason I had to pay was they had all my furniture on the truck and indicated if I wanted delivery I had to cough it up. Wasn't a phone call but a email and a phone call 4 days prior to delivery. All the red flags came up after they had my stuff. I chose this company as reviews on Google were pretty positive at the time, May of 2015, their quote was only about 100 bucks less than the other 5 companies I requested a bid. I'm still used to companies sending out someone to assess your goods and come up with a quote versus us inventorying how many boxes and rooms of furniture etc....Times have changed I guess. Called local police 2 days after they delivered our partial goods. Came to house and told us to call Police where we used to live which we did. Also called South Bend Ind Police, called Beachwood Ohio Police, called NJ State police, Dept of Transportation etc. Maybe I should try FBI next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I can't believe you paid thousands more dollars then quoted over a phone call. There had to be some red flags along the way. Why did you choose this service? Did they have a too good to be true price,originally? Why didn't you call police when the extortion started? That's a big price difference.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,602,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Being quite a few people are retiring and moving from the Northeast to beautiful NC I thought I would share the experience with our moving company that I want to make sure no one else ever experiences. I wrote the below email to a fellow Forum member and felt I should share with everyone:

Hey Judi,

Our move went terrible to say the least. We contracted with a moving company called Classic Moving Services who we thought were an actual moving company but it turns out they are a moving brokerage company and they gave our job to a company called Guardian Moving Systems. They gave us a initial quote of 5900. When truck showed up I knew we had problems as it was a Budget 26 foot long truck. They had to load it 2 times and it took 11 hours. After everything was loaded they said new quote is 12,780. If we wanted our stuff I had to write them a check that night for additional 7600. They stored furniture for 3 weeks till our house was ready than 3 days before the delivery they called and said our stuff wouldn't be delivered unless I wired them additional balance of 3400. When they came to house I knew we had problems as only 1 26 foot truck showed up and back of truck was wide open and all our king size mattress and box springs ruined as well as missing all bedroom furniture for 3 bedrooms, dining room set, 15 boxes, home stereo, etc....Furniture can be replaced but what hurts the most is all the pictures of the kids since they were born up till now, ages 28 and 30, are missing and can never be replaced. All of our pictured of the kids growing up lost as well. Complete horror show.
Good news is we are down here and out of NJ. Enjoy your visit as it is beautiful down here.

Jim

Please do your research and check the BBB bureau before you contact or contract with any company. Unfortunately I just Googled the company and I read mostly "positive" reviews but one needs to go with the BBB.

Good luck to all future residents of NC or SC. If anyone wants anymore specifics just write me direct.

What a horrible experience ! May I ask why you didn't get bona fide quotes and interview at least 3 reputable long-distance movers. Atlas Van Lines, United Van Lines, and so forth. So sorry you had that experience, I've never heard of such an expensive move simply from NJ to NC. It is also amazing that you don't have any recourse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina