Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,295 times

Advertisements

Hi We have just started looking into Fairfield Harbour to move our family. We live in Connecticut and it is just too expensive to live here anymore. My concern though is the school system. They all look really good except for the high school. Is there any other options for high schools? New Bern High school seems large, has low ratings, and bad reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:19 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkpapayajen View Post
Hi We have just started looking into Fairfield Harbour to move our family. We live in Connecticut and it is just too expensive to live here anymore. My concern though is the school system. They all look really good except for the high school. Is there any other options for high schools? New Bern High school seems large, has low ratings, and bad reviews.
A couple comments: 1. We looked at Fairfield Harbour for retirement. There are very few kids in FFH, and the polulation is mostly older retirees. Are you sure you would want to live there with kids still in school?

2. The only alternatives to New Bern High are the Craven Early College program (which is an academic selective school) or the private schools.

3. There are other towns with better high schools. I recommend researching Newport, and a family-oriented neighborhood. Bogue Watch is one example.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:03 AM

183 posts, read 326,726 times
I live in Fairfield Harbour and there are plenty of younger families starting to move in as the older generation downsizes.There were 16 sales pending last month .There are still plenty of retired folks here but it is changing slowly.New Bern High is not great from all I hear.To quote one student I know who attends"All they care about is the football team".That young lady is from PA. and said she was way advanced in all of her classes.They did not have classes for her higher level.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:04 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Like anywhere, if a child and just, if not more importantly, a parent, wants the child to excel in high school, it is possible to do so. Even at New Bern High.

The high school has a broad, diverse population. We are constantly bombarded about how good that is, so it is kind of hard to argue that NBHS is not great. However, I agree that they do care way to much about football and not enough about advanced academics.

Both my daughters attended. My oldest went through the AP courses offered, pretty quickly, and just kind of hung out, academically, her senior year. Actually she tutored immigrants in language and math for a good bit of the day. There were just not enough courses left that she could take. Having said that, she was accepted at every college she applied to which included some pretty elite schools. I expect the tutoring counted more than her high average on some of the acceptances!

My younger daughter is more social than academic. Her grades and classes were OK, and she got into most of the state schools she applied to. Nothing special.

For its size, I think NBHS is way under served by AP courses, and even some challenging non-AP courses go unfilled.

But, if you and your kids care about education, it can work. Look at it this way, you are probably no better than a lot of families that send their kids to NBHS.

Craven Early College only takes incoming ninth graders and those admission decisions are made just past the half way mark of 8th grade.

The school, is however, a L O N G way from Fairfield Harbor!

Having said all that, I think you better check closely because I believe, now that I think about it, Fairfield Harbor is in the West Craven High School district, and that is a REALLY REALLY Long way!

Good Luck.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 AM

Well said LLN.I don't know from first hand knowledge just going on what a volunteen in the summer told me about the high school.They did inform me there were major texbook issues in a lot of classes as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkpapayajen View Post
Fairfield Harbor is zoned to West Craven HS, not New Bern HS.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:54 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjb1953 View Post
Well said LLN.I don't know from first hand knowledge just going on what a volunteen in the summer told me about the high school.They did inform me there were major texbook issues in a lot of classes as well.
Textbook issues are in every school in the state of NC!

Old 12-01-2015, 04:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Textbook issues are in every school in the state of NC!
Actually not true, since there ARE NO TEXTBOOKS anymore!

Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Actually not true, since there ARE NO TEXTBOOKS anymore!
None for each student to have one. Many classes such as history & science, and sometimes math, have a class set, but that's it.

The state reduced the textbook budget from something like $20 million to just a couple of hundred thousand dollars---and a textbook costs between $60-90 EACH....doesn't go nearly as far. Workbooks are no longer used, and textbooks have to be shared. Doesn't help parents, when they don't have a textbook to reference to help their children at home.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:11 AM

I remember the kids telling me they really didn't get homework because they couldn't take their books home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina