Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM

40 posts, read 102,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
They went down 15%.....
One thing to keep in mind is that people often mistakenly compare their total utility bill in cities like New Bern, which includes not only electricity, but also water, sewer and trash collection, with others people's bills outside of town, which only includes electricity. The actual difference in electricity rates isn't huge.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes a big difference. Rates may not be on the low end in New Bern, but I need to compare apples to apples.

One more thing...my sis is making a trip there in a few months. In the meantime, I am looking at Zillow, Realtor.com. We want a nice home, but are far from rich, or even upper middle class, whatever that is these days.

A home at 605 8th Street caught my eye - appears just about turn key. $82,000. I really liked it.

Another is 859 Pasteur, $50,000. This one I know would need a lot of cosmetic changes for our taste, plus I would of course do my due diligence with regard to inspections - that goes for any home actually.

I prefer the first b/c it is one story; but my sis loves old homes.....

I know they may not be too walkable, but I can deal with that, although 859 Pasteur seems to have a lot within .5 mile walking distance.

Two questions:

1. Are either of these 'areas' where we would not want to buy into?

2. Are there actual streets in the downtown area I should be looking for if 1) lower crime, if possible, 2) prefer walking as much as possible and 3) more historic area ?

Thanks for any help.
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 10:02 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFonseca View Post
A home at 605 8th Street caught my eye - appears just about turn key. $82,000. I really liked it.

Another is 859 Pasteur, $50,000. This one I know would need a lot of cosmetic changes for our taste, plus I would of course do my due diligence with regard to inspections - that goes for any home actually.
Have you looked at the Google street-views of Pasteur street? It is across from a railroad track, and there is a large truck rumbling by outside. (I am not sure if the trains still run.) Please have your sister check the noise level there. (I could not live there.)

The 8th street house is much more attractive. But have your sister check the condition of the mechanicals. Then see if you are comfortable with the neighborhood, especially the local crime reports from the city police. Please also notice that there are no sidewalks. It appears to be a fairly quiet area, but if you want to walk to MLK Boulevard, there are no sidewalks on it either.

BTW, if you can walk somewhere, the crooks can also walk somewhere. I would have a good burglar alarm system and personal protection if I wanted to live in downtown New Bern. One long-term resident has pointed out that much of the crime comes from housing projects. Search the forum on "crime New Bern".

Regarding historic neighborhoods: look around the library at 400 Johnson Street, King, Queen and Middle Streets. The homes are lovely, but they are probably over $200K to buy, up to the $800K range.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-18-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
I would prefer the 8th street home much more than the one on Pasteur.

There is a small, one story at 332 Avenue C. Had a checkered past, apparently drug dealer living with elderly parents, but that has been several years ago, but has been cleaned up with new roof. In Riverside Hysterical District. No idea about the price.

Electric pricing is better than before, the reduction on wholesale costs were greater than 15%, but that is what city passed on to us. We just got new a/c and heat and our pricing is about 1/2 what it used to be, obviously a combo of both.

I have, had great service from the work crews from New Bern Electric. The billing and admin, well, not so much.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
BTW, if you can walk somewhere, the crooks can also walk somewhere. I would have a good burglar alarm system and personal protection if I wanted to live in downtown New Bern. One long-term resident has pointed out that much of the crime comes from housing projects. Search the forum on "crime New Bern"
Thanks, goldenage1.

I tries to multi quote your post, but was not working. I will forget the Pasteur house. Not where I want to be. I need to look at the Google street views and look up crime stats. I need to really become informed, regardless of my sister's upcoming trip.

I read a bunch of forums yesterday posted by carolinadawg2. I think this was one, but I will double check.

We plan to put in an alarm system wherever we end up. Plus, 3 of my 5 dogs are Anatolian Shepherds - excellent guardians with very imposing stature -- my 2 girls are 90 lbs and my boy is 120 lbs. A police detective in Miami once told me nothing is better than a barking dog to deter an intruder. My dogs are never left outdoors when we are not home or at night.

Thanks again, Karen.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would prefer the 8th street home much more than the one on Pasteur.

There is a small, one story at 332 Avenue C. Had a checkered past, apparently drug dealer living with elderly parents, but that has been several years ago, but has been cleaned up with new roof. In Riverside Hysterical District. No idea about the price.

Thanks, LLN. I am checking out the 332 Avenue C home now.

Good to know utilities are getting better.

Karen

Old 02-21-2016, 01:44 PM

I wanted to thank everyone again who took the time to respond to my inquiries. My sister and I have decided to purchase a home in New Bern over the next few months.

A dear friend of ours is going to be in NC next week and will be looking at homes for us. He is also the person who has done all of our remodeling. He loves to house hunt!

My sister plans to be in New Bern later this month or early next month and will also look at homes.

We are focusing on the Ghent and DeGraffenreid areas.

I have been doing a lot of reading and researching and feel we are going to be a good fit with New Bern.

One thing I have not gotten an answer to yet...I am getting back to riding a bicycle. Would love to use one for short errands. Do you all in New Bern find it bike friendly?

Thanks again,
Karen

Old 02-21-2016, 04:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
NB is pretty bike friendly, and wheels of government are slowly turning toward connecting a number of parks, green ways, etc.

We have two excellent bike shops. Both Flythe and Atomic Cycles are here and no offense to Flythe's, I feel Atomic Cycles is world class.

A lot of folks putter around on bicycles in New Bern. You will fit right in.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
NB is pretty bike friendly, and wheels of government are slowly turning toward connecting a number of parks, green ways, etc....A lot of folks putter around on bicycles in New Bern. You will fit right in.

Hi LLN,

Thanks again and again .

I am very much looking forward to the move.

Karen

Old 05-07-2017, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
We are seriously considering coming to New Bern from California when we retire. I have prematurely been looking at property. We will need RV parking hopefully at our home. I know subdivisions have certain rules, is there any subdivision we should avoid (or) if there is secured parking please share that information and pricing per month. We like to camp and fish.
Thanks Lorraine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina