Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 AM

261 posts, read 380,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
What does that link substantiate?

BTW, the Puerto Rican population in Fayetteville is about 3%, nowhere near one of the highest percentages in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
But in reality, theres actually more Puerto Ricans in NC then all Central American groups combined
The link you posted also disproves this. The Central American population is considerably higher than the Puerto Rican population. The Hispanic population in NC is mostly Mexican, then Central American.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:48 AM

218 posts, read 342,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
What does that link substantiate?

BTW, the Puerto Rican population in Fayetteville is about 3%, nowhere near one of the highest percentages in the country.
Hispanic populations in NC with populations over 10,000 2014 estimate (2010 census numbers in parentheses for growth comparison):

Mexican- 545,340 (486,960)
Puerto Rican- 89,212 (71,800)
Salvadoran- 46,630 (37,778)
Honduran- 38,446 (30,900)
Guatemalan- 29,687 (20,206)
Colombian- 20,285 (17,648)
Cuban- 19,146 (18,079)
Dominican- 17,977 (15,225)

The Puerto Rican population is obviously second largest after mexicans, compared to all other Hispanic groups.

American FactFinder - Results

Actually according to latest estimates, Fayetteville is 4.2% Puerto Rican. And i didn't say they had the highest percentage of Puerto Ricans in the country. What I said was Fayetteville has one of the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans of all MAJOR cities with populations over 200,000 OUTSIDE Florida and the Northeast states. Which is true, because im not counting all cities, im counting Major cities with populations over 200k, outside Florida and the Northeast region it would be hard to find that, besides Fayetteville the only major cities outside FL and the Northeast that have relatively similar percentages of Puerto Ricans would be Cleveland, Milwaukee, Chicago, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM

261 posts, read 380,130 times
Quote:
Hispanic populations in NC with populations over 10,000 2014 estimate (2010 census numbers in parentheses for growth comparison):

Mexican- 545,340 (486,960)
Puerto Rican- 89,212 (71,800)
Salvadoran- 46,630 (37,778)
Honduran- 38,446 (30,900)
Guatemalan- 29,687 (20,206)
Colombian- 20,285 (17,648)
Cuban- 19,146 (18,079)
Dominican- 17,977 (15,225)
Cool. So your statement "...theres actually more Puerto Ricans in NC then all Central American groups combined" is, in fact, not correct.

Quote:
Actually according to latest estimates, Fayetteville is 4.2% Puerto Rican. And i didn't say they had the highest percentage of Puerto Ricans in the country. What I said was Fayetteville has one of the highest percentages of Puerto Ricans of all MAJOR cities with populations over 200,000 OUTSIDE Florida and the Northeast states.
Big whoop. You're narrowing your definition so tightly its meaningless. You're essentially taking out every city with a major Puerto Rican population and then saying Fayetteville has the most. Thats like saying the tallest pygmy is a giant.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 22,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
No offense taken, and I'm not the least bit upset. And actually, the labeling I was referring to was your own description of yourself.

As I said, I don't think New Bern is any more racist than anywhere else. It does seem to have a bit of crime problem, and frankly, its a bit of odd place for someone living in Michigan to (seemingly) just randomly pick as a place to move.

There are some existing threads on New Bern you can search for and read in order to get some more information. Its an ok place, imo, but not that great.

There is a particular sailboat in New Bern that i am interested in buying. If i buy it, i plan to liveaboard, learn to sail and head out to the Caribbean.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Like most places, actually all places, where you stand is where you sit.

If you have resources to live a nice middle class lifestyle, you will lead a nice middle class lifestyle.

If you are heading down here impoverished, you will be impoverished here, too. And that will be no fun.

If you are wealthy, you will love the wealthy lifestyle here.

Don't expect to come down here, and use the race card as a means for upward mobility.

I think life is pretty bad, here, though not uniquely, for those at the near or poverty level. Middle class is ok.

I have no idea about the various flavors of Puerto Ricans. In fact your post, with all the categorization, is by far the most detailed I have ever heard. I expect you are a lot more attuned to your ethnicity than 99% of the people you will meet in New Bern.

In summary, the more you are willing to contribute to the New Bern community, the more accepted you will be.

With so many categories, I am not sure if your use of cyclists refers to bicycles or something else. If bicycles you are in luck. New Bern has two bike shops, Flythe and Atomic Cycles. Taking nothing from Flythe, IMHO, Atomic Cycles is WORLD CLASS. Several weekly rides at up to 25mph. Have no clue as to the ethnic makeup of the riders. Never really noticed. They have a web cite,

Oh, and our police chief is a black man, too. If that helps!

Good luck.
I am planning in buying a sailboat in New Bern and staying there a little less than a year living aboard and learning how to sail, and i am hoping in sailing out of there to the keys and then on to the Caribbean. Hence the reason why i am taking temperature. I do not want to stay in New Bern for ever but at the most 6 to 8 months. New Bern is where the sailboat that i hope to buy is, if everything is nice. It is a nice protected area to learn how to sail and outfit the boat for a long passage. If not i will drive on.

Your response is wise thanks you for your suggestions and advice, everything helps. I am an Islander I am going back. I came, I saw, i don't know about conquering, but, i am done! and there are two coconut trees calling my name.

Cyclist, i meant bicycles, i am a mountain bike rider for the most part, no more road for me, i just sold my 2006 Lemond Zurich and almost started to cry. That was the best road bike ever, IMHO. Thanks to all and fair winds my friend....

Old 02-15-2016, 01:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your support in this crazy subject your thoughts, knowledge and understanding are appreciated.

What i am most interested, and i am sorry that i went into so much in the OP, but what i am trying to ask is the question of how are we treated there.

I think the best answer was from LLN, according to what you bring to the table. I like that, if people think like that, that is good, what i fear is an area with blind racism and people with that nature, because to them it doesn't matter what you bring they are racist, and they hate you. I am bringing my own resources, bringing some business to the marina and then moving on. I just want to be crime free and at peace.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post

Cyclist, i meant bicycles, i am a mountain bike rider for the most part, no more road for me, i just sold my 2006 Lemond Zurich and almost started to cry. That was the best road bike ever, IMHO. Thanks to all and fair winds my friend....
The same shop I referenced does a lot of riding in the Croatan National Forest. It is flat, but rugged. In fact the last time I was in the shop, two guys were picking up repaired mountain bikes and one guy was buying one. He had several of those huge tire really heavy duty bikes there, too.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
When I read the word atrocities, I usually think of something on the scale of genocide or a racial progrom. Nothing like that has happened in New Bern, but it has probably had its share of tense race relations as has all the South.

It is ENC and many of the people have been there for generations and are not necessarily open to outsiders regardless of color. Your plan of buying a sailboat there and sailing to Caribbean is interesting; Florida seems like a better jumping off point.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
I have not lived in New Bern, but when I visited, everybody I encountered there was really nice to me. I am a white female but often get mistaken for PR or mixed black and white because I am part Italian. I also have a lot of body art including a chest piece so, in that way, am in a type of minority, and people were nice as pie to me. Bottom line: If you go there thinking people are going to treat you badly because you are PR, then you might just attract that type of behavior from some people. If you are friendly and well-mannered to people, most likely you will get that in return, but that's how it is most places. If somebody is a jerk to you anyway, it's probably just because they are a jerk and not because you are PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina