Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:42 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times

Advertisements

Misleading statements like "Racial atrocities in new bern" ,I believe, propagate racism on a subliminal level. Sometimes I wonder if hateful messages and headlines like this are intentionally spread by racists groups just to inflame more hatred.

Maybe one day the only way we will judge each other is by moral character and race, religion and where we are from are simply description, not persecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 12:18 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
When we first moved to Eastern North Carolina from Long Island and Florida I was shocked at the racism toward blacks despite the high concentration of blacks where we moved (Mount Olive). And worse than the racism toward blacks and other minorities was the hatred of Yankees especially if you had a New York accent. It was a small town where everybody knew everybody else. I thought it was quaint at first. That didn't last long.

Then we went to Goldsboro and then Kinston before coming back to Florida.

To the OP: You might be happier in Florida than North Carolina. In addition to a lot of Hispanics from everywhere we have no state income tax here.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:24 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
When we first moved to Eastern North Carolina from Long Island and Florida I was shocked at the racism toward blacks despite the high concentration of blacks where we moved (Mount Olive). And worse than the racism toward blacks and other minorities was the hatred of Yankees especially if you had a New York accent. It was a small town where everybody knew everybody else. I thought it was quaint at first. That didn't last long.

Then we went to Goldsboro and then Kinston before coming back to Florida.

To the OP: You might be happier in Florida than North Carolina. In addition to a lot of Hispanics from everywhere we have no state income tax here.
I found that the racial bigotry cut both ways.. lots of tension in those areas in an endless cycle of retaliation.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:15 AM

104 posts, read 148,754 times
I am a white man of French decent, though born in USA. I visited New Bern with the idea of relocating there. I like maritime boat-oriented communities and New Bern looked good. We visited last summer and were very pleased to find a diverse community with a scenic waterfront, varied neighborhoods, good restaurants and people who were genuinely friendly and helpful. Like any U.S. city there will be some problem areas where low income and high jobless rate create desperation and perhaps higher crime possibility. We drove around the the city, exploring the central area, the historic district and River Bend. The only "rough" area appeared to be in the Northwest quadrant north of Queen Street to the Neuse river. The area seemed more economically challenged with some houses in need of repairs. We drove around a low-income housing project that was a sad testimony to why these apartment complexes built with the best of intentions often fail in urban settings. I wish there was a simple solution. There were some streets farther to the north of the projects that we liked and would consider renting a house on.
All-in-all being a Puertoricano in New Bern should pose no problem in terms of being treated badly. If you are friendly and kind, you will be well received there. Go the the Country Biscuit for great breakfast and chat with the folks there. Ellis son my amables.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,422 times
Your title led me to think the worse, but I am here so I will contribute....

Your queries are very good ones. I thought that Knoxville TN was wonderfull when I visited 10 years ago, until I moved there a bit after, and was faced with the blatant and overt racism against minorities, yankees, and nonAmericans. Granted it has begun to slowly change, but I was so tired of it that I resigned from my 6-figure job and moved to South Florida.
Caucasians who have never faced racism from the perspective of being the minority do not understand. And No, horrible as it is, dealing with racist minorities is vastly different from dealing with a racist majority.
So to all of you who think this thread strange, let me assure you that there are tens of millions of minorities who understand perfectly well.
Some of the things that I have learned is to ask exactly these types of questions, and also to visit for an extended time before moving(preferably multiple times) and when you visit, invest most of your time in dealing with the people instead of sight-seeing or bicycling or sailing.
I also am interested in New Bern because it has both boating and rural communities, mild weather, and less hurricane risk than Florida.
My first visit is planned for November.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:03 AM

299 posts, read 249,626 times
'racism against yankees' hmm so Yankees are now their own race. When did this happen?

Old 10-25-2016, 02:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerLife View Post
My first visit is planned for November.
New Bern's big annual "festival" MUMFEST has been rescheduled to Nov 12 and 13th. It was postponed due to Hurricane Michael.

That may or may not be a good weekend to visit. A lot of stuff going on, lots of fried "fair food" but a lot of roads are closed off due to the crowds and "activities."

Old 11-04-2016, 08:26 AM

104 posts, read 148,754 times
We're still looking at relocation possibilities. Since my last post we visited Beaufort, Swansboro and Southport. These communities seem more insulated (isolated?) from the tensions in larger urban cities like New Bern. They are less diverse demographically, primarily made up of middle income caucasians--many retired. I liked Beaufort best with its great maritime environment, fine restaurants, wild horses, Cape Lookout, Shack Banks. No doubt it is crowded with tourists in the summer months that that might be irritating to full-time residents. Nearby Moorehead City, not a very interesting town, provides ample shopping and a hospital plus access to one of North Carolinas premier ocean beaches.
Red or Blue? Is this an issue? For many, the lines between Democrat and Republican, Liberal and Conservative have become blurred. Big government vs private enterprise--State's rights vs the Federal Government-- women's right to choose--who controls public education?--who can you marry?--What bathroom to use?--Trump vs Clinton--stop-and-frisk--The list goes on and on. I believe that there are many sane and thoughtful residents in these communities who are not 100% for one side or another but some where in between. Each of us has our own personal morality and set of ethics--codes to live by. A safe, peaceful place to live is the bottom line.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:29 AM

32 posts, read 39,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Hi Everyone, I am a Boricua (Puertorican from Puerto Rico) residing now in Michigan, brrrr tired of the snow and cold.
I am now considering moving to New Bern, North Carolina.
I am interested in hearing from people (Whites, Blacks, Indians, other races considered minorities in the United States) from New Bern and around the area of New Bern, NC.
I am in particular interested in hearing from Boricuas (Puertoricans) from the area of New Bern, NC.
I am a "trigueno" (light skinned like wheat) i am not a white Boricua. Some people said that i do not look black but rather a light skinned mediterranean, or Latino or light skinned Puertorican, I have the platano stain hence the trigueno. (The N in trigueno has an, apostrophe? on top)

How do they treat the minorities in New Bern, NC?
How do they treat Boricuas in New Bern, NC?
How do the Police treat the minorities in New Bern, NC?
Are there areas around New Bern that are off limits to people of color or Latinos?
Are there any KKK enclaves around the area of New Bern, NC? or in Washington, NC or in Jacksonville, NC?
How do they treat minorities around that area?

This is very important to me because i am in my mid fifties and the last thing i want to do is to live in a racist enclave.

I am not concerned with the job, career stuff since i am retired. I am strictly concerned with racism, outright and or overt and the underbelly and undercurrent of it.

Sorry forgot to add this.
Has any Puertoricans around the area of New Bern, NC, have ever bought a sailboat there from any of the sailboat's brokerages there?

Rise up and speak up and let me know how you were treated and if you recommend anyone in particular and why should i consider them.
How is the cost of living for someone who eats healthy, lots of produce, any large farmers market in the area of New Bern, NC?
Are there any Boricuas in New Bern, NC that cycle in the area? How is the area for cyclist there? How is the area for cyclist that are not white?

Thank you very much for your time.

Thank you very much for your time.

I am Cuban-American. I lived in Maysville and Jacksonville..both in NC. I never experienced any mistreatment, or "profiling" during my time there. Of course, Jacksonville is very diverse because of Camp Lejeune (my husband is a Marine). I honestly met some of the nicest, respectful people there. I love that area and we are considering moving back pretty soon.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:07 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I am planning in buying a sailboat in New Bern and staying there a little less than a year living aboard and learning how to sail, and i am hoping in sailing out of there to the keys and then on to the Caribbean. Hence the reason why i am taking temperature. I do not want to stay in New Bern for ever but at the most 6 to 8 months. New Bern is where the sailboat that i hope to buy is, if everything is nice. It is a nice protected area to learn how to sail and outfit the boat for a long passage. If not i will drive on.

Your response is wise thanks you for your suggestions and advice, everything helps. I am an Islander I am going back. I came, I saw, i don't know about conquering, but, i am done! and there are two coconut trees calling my name.

Cyclist, i meant bicycles, i am a mountain bike rider for the most part, no more road for me, i just sold my 2006 Lemond Zurich and almost started to cry. That was the best road bike ever, IMHO. Thanks to all and fair winds my friend....
Mountain biking and road cycling are horrible in this area. There is one area of singletrack that you can ride, Flanners Beach, but other than that you have fire roads all around which are boring to ride. Road cyclic is horrible as shoulders are narrow and vehicle speed is fast. I really wish we had decent green ways and bike paths but we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina