Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 10:39 PM

52 posts, read 113,163 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocation to the Wilmington area and would love some input on any areas we may want to steer clear of. My husband actually grew up in Thomasville and has spent time in the Wilmington area but that was many years ago. In searching online we have found some homes and lots in Rocky Point that suit our needs, is that a decent area? We are mostly concerned about safe/low crime areas, we don't have children so schools aren't an issue and employment/commute is not as issue either. We like our privacy so we will be looking for a rural property that is secluded and doesn't need to be super close to town or have shopping or restaurants nearby. However, because my husband is a truck driver we will be looking for a property that he can get a truck and trailer into, so not too far off the main roads and not on roads that would be difficult to access. Any suggestions on areas that might suit us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 05:53 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS3 View Post
However, because my husband is a truck driver we will be looking for a property that he can get a truck and trailer into, so not too far off the main roads and not on roads that would be difficult to access. Any suggestions on areas that might suit us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
It sound like Rocky Point would be fine for you. It is a small town of 1600, and it is right off I-40. The income and housing costs are around the state average. Nearby towns like Currie are similar.

I got this report on crime for Pender County by linking to the Pender County Sheriff's office. Rocky Point has nothing major: vandalism, fraud, and miscellaneous. Mapnimbus

If you are concerned about the vandalism, you might talk to the county sheriff's office to see how common it is. Otherwise, wouldn't anyone normally protect a valuable property like a tractor-trailer with an alarm, lighting and fencing?

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-15-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 02-15-2016, 08:51 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
No problem with Rocky Point if you want more rural and don't care about schools. Rocky Point was an area that was destined to "take off" before the economy declined, so there is long term potential in the area.

You may also consider the 421 North corridor through Pender up towards Harrells (in Sampson County). This area will stay more rural because it doesn't have I-40 going through it.

There are also some rural area's of Brunswick County, but nothing that jumps out to recommend.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It sound like Rocky Point would be fine for you. It is a small town of 1600, and it is right off I-40. The income and housing costs are around the state average. Nearby towns like Currie are similar.

I got this report on crime for Pender County by linking to the Pender County Sheriff's office. Rocky Point has nothing major: vandalism, fraud, and miscellaneous. Mapnimbus

If you are concerned about the vandalism, you might talk to the county sheriff's office to see how common it is. Otherwise, wouldn't anyone normally protect a valuable property like a tractor-trailer with an alarm, lighting and fencing?
Thanks for your information. Sounds like Rocky Point is an area we should consider. My question about crime wasn't necessarily directed towards property as we are very careful about protecting our home and our belongings, and we also have large dogs who do a good job at that too. But I'm home alone a lot while my husband is on the road so a safe area is important to me, as well as feeling safe when I have to venture out to shop in the area I live in. The area we live in now has always been so safe that many people don't even lock their doors! So I just wanted some feedback on general safety from people who live in the area or are very familiar with it.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
No problem with Rocky Point if you want more rural and don't care about schools. Rocky Point was an area that was destined to "take off" before the economy declined, so there is long term potential in the area.

You may also consider the 421 North corridor through Pender up towards Harrells (in Sampson County). This area will stay more rural because it doesn't have I-40 going through it.

There are also some rural area's of Brunswick County, but nothing that jumps out to recommend.
Thanks! It would be very convenient for my husband to be close to I-40 and it seems like we could still find a reasonably priced home on an acre or 2 that has a private feel to it. It also sounds like it's a fairly safe place to live.

Now to investigate food and weather. I'm a huge health nut so getting organic food and good locally grown produce is important to me (although I do intend to grow some of my own). I'm also curious about the weather - how the humidity compares to Florida and how cold it gets in the winter (and how long the cold lasts).

Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I'm a huge health nut so getting organic food and good locally grown produce is important to me (although I do intend to grow some of my own). I'm also curious about the weather - how the humidity compares to Florida and how cold it gets in the winter (and how long the cold lasts).
There are farmers' market and a Whole Foods store in Wilmington. The local Food Lion chain also carries a lot of organic produce and some meat.

People say the humidity is nowhere near as bad as Florida. However, it is uncomfortably humid about 3 month a year. The winters are not bad. The lowest temperature might be 20 degrees, and that lasts for a few days. The other three months of winter has temperatures in the 40's through 60's, although we hit the 70's at Charistmas. Fall and spring are very nice, although we have a lot of pine pollen in the spring.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
There are farmers' market and a Whole Foods store in Wilmington. The local Food Lion chain also carries a lot of organic produce and some meat.

People say the humidity is nowhere near as bad as Florida. However, it is uncomfortably humid about 3 month a year. The winters are not bad. The lowest temperature might be 20 degrees, and that lasts for a few days. The other three months of winter has temperatures in the 40's through 60's, although we hit the 70's at Charistmas. Fall and spring are very nice, although we have a lot of pine pollen in the spring.

Thanks for that info. Sounds like winters are about the same as where we are now and they aren't too long. From everything I'm reading on this forum it seems like winters and summers each last about 3 months and the rest of the year is very pleasant.

Good to know about the farmer's markets and organic produce. Is there a Cosco or a Sam's Club in the Wilmington area? Cosco has a lot of organic and Sam's is starting to carry a lot more too, at least where we live.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Is there a Cosco or a Sam's Club in the Wilmington area? Cosco has a lot of organic and Sam's is starting to carry a lot more too, at least where we live.
Wilmington has both stores. The Costco is slightly more convenient to Rocky Point.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Wilmington has both stores. The Costco is slightly more convenient to Rocky Point.

Great thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina