Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

169 posts, read 583,280 times

Advertisements

The zip code (28461) that St. James has is shared by Southport, Oak Island, Boiling Springs Lakes, and Bald Head Island. We all want to have our own zip code, but it is unlikely under the current system. I addressed the issue of the erroneous rumor about our supposed demands (which never occurred of course) and Sy Cantwell wrote a column that addressed the issue of rumors and why they occur (read previous posts). St. James people love Southport and Oak Island, (that’s why we moved here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

128 posts, read 509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
“Golf course property in St James cost $250,000?”
All golf course lots have been sold. My builder was looking for a new golf course lot to build a spec home five years ago and he told me he could not find anything under $250,000.
That is probably accurate for five years ago but St James Plantation like so many other coastal communities hasn't been immune to the real estate market decline. I imagine a local real estate broker could find you several purchase options on the golf course for about half that price today.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Thanks for the info but I'm not interested in buying a lot. I was just surprised that they cost 250,000. Thats absurd. I paid less than that for my house.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM

169 posts, read 583,280 times
That is probably accurate for five years ago but St James Plantation like so many other coastal communities hasn't been immune to the real estate market decline. I imagine a local real estate broker could find you several purchase options on the golf course for about half that price today.

I agree, things have declined. I ride my bike in the Reserve and play golf there. Golf course view lots are readily available. My developer's quote was before the Reserve opened. In this market things have changed. Act now, St James has never been more affordable.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:38 PM

249 posts, read 515,187 times
I lol'd at a lot of stuff said in this thread. I'll be a "transplant" in several more years...still making my millions here in "Yankee land" and coming down to Dixie land to spend it. It's funny how people are just that...people. No matter where you go, there is prejudice, alienation, stereotypes...etc.

I can't speak for others but, all I want is some respect. I'm not coming down there with the intentions of "changing" things. All I want is do is enjoy the weather, my new surrounding, and be respected. So the pizza sucks, you can't get a breakfast roll or a fresh bagel...i'll live. I can live without that. I'll learn to adopt the way of life down there. Hell, i'll even watch NASCAR on Sundays! Just treat me with respect and we'll get along just fine.

Ok, back on topic. I passed St. James a bunch of times but never went "inside the gates." I did a lot of research of the area, looked at many subdivisions, and spent a total of 2 weeks in the area. I found Winding River to be what I was looking for. I felt at home there to be honest. I also stopped in "SeaWatch" and took a peek. Yup, things there were not moving. The thing that made me open my eyes were "Avalon of the Carolinas" and the "Oak Island Condos" at the base of the Oak Island bridge. Bad vibes from both.

Hey, plan on coming down again soon.....how are things in the area? Still extremely slow?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,311 times
Unhappy anything new

This was great information that I was not aware of. Do you have any updated information on these 2 hot topics??

Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
I can't speak for others but, all I want is some respect. I'm not coming down there with the intentions of "changing" things. All I want is do is enjoy the weather, my new surrounding, and be respected. So the pizza sucks, you can't get a breakfast roll or a fresh bagel...i'll live. I can live without that. I'll learn to adopt the way of life down there. Hell, i'll even watch NASCAR on Sundays! Just treat me with respect and we'll get along just fine.
your post is about 20 years too late. if you want to be a pioneer you should probably move further inland; this area has been fully Yankeetized.

if you can make a breakfast roll yourself, they do sell taylor pork roll down here. my buddies are from philly, they introduced me to breakfast rolls. now i use taylor pork roll in my shrimp and grits.

saying that you'll watch NASCAR to fit in, would be an insult to me, if i took it seriously. i don't, though, i just assume you know not of what you speak.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM

556 posts, read 622,869 times
Tell us aboutthe Financil issues?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:51 PM

249 posts, read 515,187 times
Just got back from visiting the area again. I see St. James is building a town hall on Rt. 211 and they're still expanding which is good news I suppose.

Does anyone know when they'll open Midway rd south of 211?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

7 posts, read 27,158 times
Default Southport

Deeker1
Be sure to give the area you are thinking about moving to as much weight in your decision as you are to the community you move to. There are good homes in good communities all over the planet but, is there enough to do once you leave the neighborhood? For example, how far is it to the closest malls, good restaurants, entertainment complexes, movie theaters, bowling lanes, airports, medical, etc.
SJP might be the perfect community for you but, Southport may not have enough to make you happy day in and day out.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina