Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 04:43 AM

24 posts, read 27,627 times

Advertisements

can we discuss the risk of bad storms/hurricanes in this area. Or are there not enough to worry about? this is our hesitancy with moving closer to a coastal area. any input would be appreciated.

how much snow/cold do you get in your winter months?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM

275 posts, read 330,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
can we discuss the risk of bad storms/hurricanes in this area. Or are there not enough to worry about? this is our hesitancy with moving closer to a coastal area. any input would be appreciated.

how much snow/cold do you get in your winter months?
They happen but really bad ones are rare. The last really significant hurricane that came through here was Floyd back in 1999 which flooded everything near the Tar River. Now other Hurricanes came through like Irene and did some damage, but overall nothing huge like Floyd.

Snow happens one, maybe twice in winter. When it does most it would do would be maybe half a foot. it's there today and gone tomorrow. Be more worry about ice because when roads are icy everything closes.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,829,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
The last really significant hurricane that came through here was Floyd back in 1999 which flooded everything near the Tar River. Now other Hurricanes came through like Irene and did some damage, but overall nothing huge like Floyd.
Yeah, Floyd was terrible. I remember that like yesterday. I was living in Warsaw in Duplin County at the time. Whole yard was covered in water for almost a week. Fran in 1996 wasn't no picnic either, but Floyd was the worst.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Hurricane Dennis hit a few weeks earlier and really made Floyd worse, IMO. Rivers were already swollen from Dennis, and Floyd came in and added even more on.

Dennis even left NC and looked like it was heading out to sea, and turned around a couple of days later and hit NC again.

Eastern NC gets hit basically a handful of times every 15 years by a hurricane or some tropical storm. Obviously the threat is higher the farther east you go, but even cities in the western half of the state like Greensboro or Charlotte can get some rain and high winds from those storms.

It's always something to worry about and be prepared for every late summer/early fall, but they happen infrequently enough not to be in constant fear of having one come through.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:58 PM

398 posts, read 498,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
They happen but really bad ones are rare. The last really significant hurricane that came through here was Floyd back in 1999 which flooded everything near the Tar River. Now other Hurricanes came through like Irene and did some damage, but overall nothing huge like Floyd.

Snow happens one, maybe twice in winter. When it does most it would do would be maybe half a foot. it's there today and gone tomorrow. Be more worry about ice because when roads are icy everything closes.
I think you mean "half an INCH", don't you?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I think you mean "half an INCH", don't you?
Greenville, NC averages ~4 inches of snow per season (if this website is accurate). Though when I lived there, I think we got that much only one year out of 4.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:27 PM

398 posts, read 498,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Greenville, NC averages ~4 inches of snow per season (if this website is accurate). Though when I lived there, I think we got that much only one year out of 4.
A 6 inch snowfall would be quite an event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina