Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 PM

123 posts, read 523,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Wilson and Goldsboro's roads are generally less congested than Greenville. US-264 from Raleigh to Greenville (passing by Wilson) is a 70mph freeway. I-795 connects Wilson to Goldsboro, which is about 25 miles directly south of Wilson. Goldsboro is southwest of Greenville and US-13 connects Goldsboro and Greenville, which is about a 40-mile drive, give or take a few. US-13 between Goldsboro and Greenville is mostly a 2-lane road and is not a fun drive. I've driven it a few times and if I ever have to drive that route again in the future, it'll be too soon. Goldsboro is a little smaller than Wilson and is a military town (Seymour Johnson Air Force Base). Goldsboro has gained some businesses in recent years, but still has a ways to go. There's Busco Beach ATV park on the southwest edge of Goldsboro and the Cliffs of the Neuse State Park near Seven Springs and a close drive from Goldsboro, which is in the southeastern part of Wayne County. If you decide to move to Goldsboro, I would suggest living in the outskirts or in either of the two small towns to the north, Pikeville and Fremont, both of which are an easy drive to Wilson and Goldsboro. The downtown residential areas of Goldsboro, mainly in the center of the city, has seen a lot of crime. Also, I would avoid living in the Dudley area south of Goldsboro. Other than the city limits, that's the worst area of Wayne County.

Busco Beach | ATV Trails, Motocross Tracks & Camping Sites

Cliffs of the Neuse State Park | NC State Parks

Lane Tree Golf Course – Golfing in Goldsboro, SJAFB, Wayne County and Eastern NC
While I agree with most of your comments about Goldsboro, contrary to belief the downtown section of Goldsboro including the residential sections have seen the less crime than any other area of the city, downtown is very safe according to the DGDC and GPD statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:04 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
While I agree with most of your comments about Goldsboro, contrary to belief the downtown section of Goldsboro including the residential sections have seen the less crime than any other area of the city, downtown is very safe according to the DGDC and GPD statistics.
I guess I should've been more specific. When I last lived there, the area between Ash Street and Elm Street, generally following the vicinity of the Slocumb Street corridor was really crime-ridden. I lived in Wayne County 14 years (1995-2009), and spent many years going to Goldsboro, so I'm glad to hear it's turned around. I've had a lot of good times there. I wasn't referring to Center Street, btw. That's one of my favorite spots in town. The pics of it after the Streetscape project look real nice! If nothing comes up, I'm gonna be headed down that way next month and check it out.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM

33 posts, read 51,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I used to go there from 1995 (I was 6 then) until I left NC in 2009. I loved Tony's Pizza and the arcade! Wasn't the arcade called "Take-Ten" or something similar?
I think you are right, I had completely forgotten the name of the place. Thanks for the refresher!

We may have derailed the thread some with old memories of Wilson, but I find the topic kind of ironic as the OP is interested in moving to a "coastal town" such as Wilson but not on the water, but in my own journey I grew up near Wilson and moved to Emerald Isle going on 2 years ago, which is most definitely a "coastal town" and on the water...

Old 05-20-2016, 01:38 PM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
OP is asking for info on Wilson, it seems pretty relevant to me.

Parkwood Mall used to be my old stomping grounds from my high school years into the late 90s. I also worked at Andy's Cheesesteaks (now HWY 55) in the mall from 1993 to around 1997. I have fond memories of hanging out at Tony's Pizza and the old arcade, or just walking the mall with friends. No matter what day it was, you would see someone you knew at the mall and find something to do for the day.

Its really sad that the younger generation doesn't get to experience times like that. Malls all around in smaller cities have closed up due to various reasons, but mainly it has to do with attracting the wrong crowd who are not there to shop and only to cause trouble. 20 years ago you just didn't worry about getting shot or robbed while hanging out at the mall.

Other cities in Eastern NC are the same way in regards to malls. Kinston mall is still open, but there are very few stores open in it. Rocky Mount's mall has lost its bigger tenants, and walking through there at night is like walking through a gang warzone. Greenville's mall is still full of tenants, but I rarely shopped there during the years I lived in Greenville. I'm not sure about Goldsboro mall, as I haven't been there in years, but I assume its fate will be similar to the others over time.

On the flip side, the shopping & dining options in Wilson have moved out to the Heritage Crossing area which you can hit Walmart, Belks, Ross, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, PetSmart, Target, Hobby Lobby along with Buffalo Wild Wings, Chili's, Olive Garden, Texas Steakhouse and many other establishments within a few blocks of each other.
It actually gotten a little better. They added a Jo-Ann fabric not too long ago that replaced the old Burlington Shoe Store and at the edge of the mall parking lot were Firestone use to be they added a Longhorns and Olive Garden. As for the rest of the mall it's mostly the same give or take a few store. I personally like it better than Greenville. They recently added a new strip near the mall that has a Dick's. They're also seem to be added a new strip at the corner of Berkeley and Plaza Dr.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
They added a Jo-Ann fabric not too long ago that replaced the old Burlington Shoe Store and at the edge of the mall parking lot were Firestone use to be they added a Longhorns and Olive Garden.
The Sears Auto Center building was the one that was torn down and replaced by Olive Garden. Sears Auto moved into Kmart's old garage. Firestone is still in it's same spot on Berkeley Blvd.

Old 06-13-2016, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
Can anyone help. I have a job offer in Rocky Mount. Was just down there this past weekend. The area does not seem horrible, but the reviews and crime ratings are scary. We looked at many areas surrounding Rocky Mount, and liked Wilson the best. Also we have 2 school aged children that education and schools need to be considered as well. Really dont want to have to drive more than 30 mins to work everyday. Thoughts???

Old 06-14-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akogut1979 View Post
Can anyone help. I have a job offer in Rocky Mount. Was just down there this past weekend. The area does not seem horrible, but the reviews and crime ratings are scary. We looked at many areas surrounding Rocky Mount, and liked Wilson the best. Also we have 2 school aged children that education and schools need to be considered as well. Really dont want to have to drive more than 30 mins to work everyday. Thoughts???
Wilson is definitely the better of the two cities. That's not to say it doesn't have it's issues, but it's a lot safer than Rocky Mount and just a better city overall. I've been to Wilson so many times when I lived in Fremont and used to go to Rocky Mount once in a while before it went downhill. A lot of Rocky Mount's crime problems is due to the incompetence of the Rocky Mount City Council and their clueless police chief. I don't know how the schools in Wilson are, but in all the years I've lived in the area I haven't heard anything bad about them. I'm sure somebody else would know more about the schools.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akogut1979 View Post
The Rock Ridge school area is highly regarded in the Wilson area...its more in a rural area though, but has good access to I-95. You may also consider Nashville, which is an easy commute to Rocky Mount and gets you a bit closer to the Raleigh metro.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,826 times
I personally have no desire to live in either Rocky Mount or Wilson...but if I had to choose, I'd choose almost anything besides Rocky Mount.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You might want to post in the Raleigh forum. Folks often post about Rocky Mount and Wilson there, too. You can live closer to Raleigh and commute. Some place like Zebulon is about 35 min and would get you Wake County schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina