Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2016, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 14,276 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering BF as our next home. It seems to be a quality development with lots of activities including golf, tennis and pickle ball. We are looking at various builders and would appreciate any information residents could provide about their experience with their builders - good or bad. Who are the better quality builders? Who provides the best quality and the best value?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:09 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelsnoot View Post
Who provides the best quality and the best value?
Since the houses all look pretty much the same, I can't say which builder is best. If you can afford a true custom home, go with that for the best quality. However, the best value is to be found with re-sale homes. Prices have dropped with houses built 7-10 years ago.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Since the houses all look pretty much the same, I can't say which builder is best.
I apologize for not sounding helpful, but I don't know your budget. Is it less tha $350K or $350-700K? There's a big difference.

I keep looking a the new home listings in BF, such as David Weekley Homes, and I can't see that the price is justified. Some are over $200/ square foot. If you are OK with paying $500K for a production-built home, then go for it. But, frankly you can get more house for the money with a re-sale.

It's the same with Logan Homes or the Trusst Builder Group. I can't see that their prices in BF are justified.

I suggest just looking for a floor-plan you like at a price you can afford. When you find what you like, you might come back and ask for an opinion of the builder.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-20-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Builders

GoldenAge, thank you. I have seen a number of your comments on other Leland area forums and appreciate your thoughtful and informative comments as you have here. It helpful to me to be able to share others' experiences who have been down the same path we are on. Everyone of course doesn't always agree, but the dialogue is always helpful.

We are somewhat like many other folks looking at BF and St. James, etc.....lots of choices, we need to downsize, working through the moving/retirement process -- all of which can get overwhelming. Having said that and having built one custom home years ago, I know all builders are not the same and we are trying to do enough due diligence that we make an informed decision.

Cheers!!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcelsnoot View Post
We are somewhat like many other folks looking at BF and St. James, etc.....lots of choices, we need to downsize, working through the moving/retirement process -- all of which can get overwhelming. Having said that and having built one custom home years ago, I know all builders are not the same and we are trying to do enough due diligence that we make an informed decision.
If you can afford the upper-end home (eg, over $500K), then I'd suggest looking at the comments in the St. James threads, especially from some of the folks who built homes there. For example, I remember one comment about Logan Homes, such that they have very little flexibility with cabinets and counter-tops. The offered only a couple of choices, and would not allow you to select your own materials.

If you do have that budget, I suggest looking at some existing custom homes for an idea of their quality. I see some current listings with builders named: MDS Construction, Fogleman Associates, Plantation Building Company. I kind-of liked the Plantation BUiling one, but I don't have the experience to judge.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-20-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 22,725 times
Default Given that we are now talking about custom homes

I would be interested in folks who have had experience with Centerline or George Crane.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:05 PM

I like Crane also, but they do not build in BF. They have some very nice homes in St. James.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 10,764 times
I would be very careful with Logan Homes. First of all one needs to make sure every I is dotted & T crossed; they are obsessed with adherence to the multi-page spec sheets and give buyers very little time to review them. Secondly, they expect the buyer to pay attention to every little detail, not the builder. They sort of nickle and dime customers on every small thing. Finally, once your home is complete, despite what they say, they have a well-designed system to ignore the buyer and walk away from some defects. While we like our Logan home, we are very disappointed in the service and without question overpaid for it due to their methodology. We have gotten much better service from other builders in the past.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM

383 posts, read 892,281 times
We built with Logan Homes and found them very easy to work with. The detailed addendum of all elements of your home is not there to restrict you but to help you. It clearly spells out what should be in your home. If there was a difference between what they installed and what you asked for, the addendum ruled. Our home was missing the pull down attic staircase. Pulled out the addendum, there it was and they installed it. Home had the wrong color bathroom fixtures. Pulled out the addendum and they switched it.

That is a much better process than Bill Clark, who would not spell out anything. Their contract was simply the Sales brochure with a list of the add ons. My friend had nightmares with that. I would rather have more detail then less. More protection for both parties. Selections with any big box builder are limited, but if you want the real high end fixtures of a custom builder, be prepared to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina