Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 08:08 PM

89 posts, read 133,653 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions or comments on getting grass to grown on Oak Island? Where to buy sod? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 AM

183 posts, read 286,741 times
Im not able to answer those questions, but here are a couple active FB groups where there are folks that can:

Oak Island, NC

Oak Island Locals

Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 AM

140 posts, read 316,982 times
Stay away from Centipede grass, I had to tear up my whole lawn when it became infected with ground pearl. There is no antidote.
You're only option is dig up the top 10" of soil and haul it away and start all over with fresh soil and hope the new soil isn't infected as well.

Speak to your landscaper about it and if they would guarantee the job.

Too bad because Centipede used to be the best lawn for this area, needing very little maintenance.

Ron W.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Zoysia is a good choice for this area. Once established, its drought resistant, and very tough. It will go dormant and turn brown in the winter, and can be invasive, so you have to keep it trimmed back from places you don't want it to go. Shallotte Lawn and Garden Center has very good prices, and will deliver sod by the pallet.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I see the comment on centipede above.

When I lived there I would walk around the streets and clip sprigs of centipede that were growing out in the street. I would do this every evening, and I would end up with a big bag. Then go back to the yard, have one daughter poke a hole in sand with pencil, the other daughter plant a sprig. About every foot, then every six inches, and then,,,etc. I did this for several weeks, my back could never had managed if I had been the one planing all the sprigs.

However, the key was water and sun. I put my own sprinkler system in, used water pressure to drill my own well, and I soaked those sprigs, three times a day, but never after 3:00 pm.

In very very short order, I had a carpet, but the key was sun and gallons and gallons of water. I have never been a real yard kind of guy, but I must admit, I had a carpet! Water and sun!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I see the comment on centipede above.

When I lived there I would walk around the streets and clip sprigs of centipede that were growing out in the street. I would do this every evening, and I would end up with a big bag. Then go back to the yard, have one daughter poke a hole in sand with pencil, the other daughter plant a sprig. About every foot, then every six inches, and then,,,etc. I did this for several weeks, my back could never had managed if I had been the one planing all the sprigs.

However, the key was water and sun. I put my own sprinkler system in, used water pressure to drill my own well, and I soaked those sprigs, three times a day, but never after 3:00 pm.

In very very short order, I had a carpet, but the key was sun and gallons and gallons of water. I have never been a real yard kind of guy, but I must admit, I had a carpet! Water and sun!

I loved centipede too !

But as time went by it needed more and more water and TLC and it was still dying off. I finally brought in a lawn service and in a few minutes got the bad news....believe me, it was in his best intrest to have me sign up on the dotted line but he didn't. He said I would be wasting my money.

Ron W.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
RJsurfer, did you re-sod with a different grass, or give up on grass?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
RJsurfer, did you re-sod with a different grass, or give up on grass?
Gave up on the grass, made a switch to a nice perennial flower garden. I made use of the lawn sprinkler system and converted it to drip irrigation.

I now have twice the work

Ron W.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: