Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 800 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I will be moving to Camp Lejeune where I will be working at the naval hospital, and we plan on purchasing a home. I will have a 30 minute response time to get to the naval hospital from wherever we choose to live (when on call), and after reading a bit on the forums, I understand the gate traffic can be cumbersome depending on the time of day.

That being said, which cities should we consider taking into account the commute/gate traffic? I've heard Hubert, Swansboro, Snead's Ferry, Hampstead, and even maybe Richlands. Price won't be a major factor in the decision.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 08:47 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkali2003 View Post
Hello,

My wife and I will be moving to Camp Lejeune where I will be working at the naval hospital, and we plan on purchasing a home. I will have a 30 minute response time to get to the naval hospital from wherever we choose to live (when on call), and after reading a bit on the forums, I understand the gate traffic can be cumbersome depending on the time of day.

That being said, which cities should we consider taking into account the commute/gate traffic? I've heard Hubert, Swansboro, Snead's Ferry, Hampstead, and even maybe Richlands. Price won't be a major factor in the decision.

Thank you!
If your 30 minute commute is absolute, then really Sneads Ferry and Swansboro are too far away, as they are right at 30 minutes, so any hiccup would be an issue. Hampstead is even further. I think Jacksonville is really your best option.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 800 times
Thank you for the reply. Is the traffic through the Jacksonville gate better?

Old 06-01-2017, 11:43 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Hopefully someone with more detailed local knowledge can answer that for you.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:53 AM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
In general I think you might be good at Sneads Ferry or Swansboro. As the crow fly's, they are about 10 miles from the hospital. Highways 17 and 24 are large, divided highways and traffic usually moves pretty good. I do not think you would have an issue with a 30 minute response. Also consider the back gates on highway 172 that are not normally open to public traffic but are open to military.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Also consider the back gates on highway 172 that are not normally open to public traffic but are open to military.
You could use the back gate from Sneads Ferry via 172. There's a large apartment complex on 172, and also several housing developments that would probably an easy commute less than 30 minutes. We also have had doctors living in our development in Mimosa Bay.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
I don't think so, as I have been told that it might take 30 minutes going through the main gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina