Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,652 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to NC within the year. If anyone is from Long Island, how was the relocation to Wilmington and did anyone consider the Charlotte area before making the move to Wilmington. Thanks so much for any insights that anyone can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:17 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
It would help to know whether you will be working or whether you will be retiring. There are already numerous threads from people who have retired to one of the various plantations in Leland or Southport.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:04 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It would help to know whether you will be working or whether you will be retiring.
Also, what kind of job would you be looking for? Charlotte obviously has a much larger job market than Wilmington. It might be easy to find a job as a bartender or waiter in Wilmington, but high-paid professional jobs are much harder to find.

I hope you are OK with people other than long Islanders replying. I am sure there are many who have moved to the area, but just don't participate in the forum after they move.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,652 times
Default Moving to Wilmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Also, what kind of job would you be looking for? Charlotte obviously has a much larger job market than Wilmington. It might be easy to find a job as a bartender or waiter in Wilmington, but high-paid professional jobs are much harder to find.

I hope you are OK with people other than long Islanders replying. I am sure there are many who have moved to the area, but just don't participate in the forum after they move.

Hi goldenage1
Thanks for your response. I am retired and will be moving to Leland. Since it is such a big move for me I was mostly interested in how fellow LI ers did with the move and how the adjustment to the Wilmington area was. I also asked about the Charlotte area as that is a bit more like LI with the season changes and the availability of resources. The great thing about LI is that if you want the beach it's there and if you want the trees it's there too.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 5,062 times
Wilmington is becoming a retirement community. much of Leland is swamp land that they are building on so be careful when looking at properties. There are very few jobs other than in the service industries, not a problem if you are retired and have a decent income. Downtown Wilmington offers some decent restaurants and the new Wilson Center offers some good shows but be aware that there is more crime in this little town than in NYC. You do not want to be downtown after eleven pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina