Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,020 times

Advertisements

Hi! I kind of feel bad for starting this as I have been watching and viewing previous threads but I still want to reach out, get new, and possibly additional perspective.

We are planning a move to the Carolinas in another year or so. That being said our biggest concern is of course employment. I would LOVE to be close to the coastal area but I have come to(read) and realize most job opportunities are more inland. As much as I want to be on the coast, I do realize its more vacationing/retirement area so it may not sustain us for full time living. My dream is outer banks - but I think we have some years left in us to work before that's possible.

I am in the medical/business office field. Medical billing, payroll, etc. The Mr. is currently going for his civil engineering license. Are these types of jobs only available for the more inland towns?

What about crime? Cost of living? Age group? Granted we are from a small town in NE we are definitely OK with moving to a bigger town, but I'm not so sure about a big city either. What are the good in between areas? Our kids are grown so we are not concerned with schools, but would still like to be in a nice,friendly community. Some towns that stood out to us were: Camden, Elizabeth City, South Mills.. but we are open to suggestions - even more southern.

I love to hear from the locals - to get the best info and lay of the land. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM

327 posts, read 605,233 times
Wilmington would be your best bet and I would think there possibly could be some Medical billing/payroll jobs with New Hanover Health. There could be some civil engineering employment opportunities, but I'm not too familiar with that field. Maybe somebody else could chime in. There's maybe a few job opportunities in Morehead City, but not plentiful. Forget Northeast NC and the Outer Banks. It's too rural/seasonal.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,650,962 times
Yes, Wilmington. Lots of civil engineering jobs with all the construction, development and road building going on.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,114,521 times
Greenville is huge on medical and building. Vidant Medical Center and it's associated facilities are easily the largest east of I-95. It is also the only Level 1 trauma center east of I-95. Greenville is also seeing an explosion of both civil and private building. Honestly, the only things that Greenville really lacks are cultural.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,371,252 times
Greenville is not that close to the beach though. Google Maps says 1:51 from Greenville to Emerald Isle. I believe that would be the closest beach. It's almost exactly the same time from Raleigh to Wrightsville Beach.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,980,425 times
does either of you do "remote" work?
my wife works from home 4 days a week.
she just goes in to the office when there is a party.
birthday/retirement/new hire/etc.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 AM

35 posts, read 43,419 times
Wilmington wages tend to be lower for a particular skill set in general. I don't know why.
Experienced medical billers might make up to $15/hr. My better half does medical billing.
For engineering, aside from working for the city or county you have GE, Corning and Duke Energy.
Overall cost of living, high or low, depends on where you are now. Seems that those from NY city or Long Island find it cheaper.
I'm from small town in upstate NY and it is more expensive here, housing in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina