Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 05:37 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,387,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFD161 View Post
OK Folks - WE ARE HERE!!!! sort of lol. Closed on our Compass Pointe "plantation" last week and now back in New York franticly packing and impatiently awaiting for the close on our 'Norther Estate" ha ha.

It has been a long and bumpy ride but it finally got done. Very happy with the results so far and will report more once we're settles in and able to breathe a little easier.

Good luck to all and thanks for the well wishes .............
Can you elaborate on the "Bumpy ride" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 09:19 AM

16 posts, read 15,833 times
Hi beer belly - Sure. Right after the ground breaking the pandemic started. We had planned on coming down and inspecting the build every 3 weeks or so but that was now out of the question because of being quarantined so we had to be content with pictures, emails and texts from out builder (Trusst Builders Group). Our new neighbors where very helpful also and sent pictures and even facetimed us so we could dee what was happening.

Our Plumbing, electrical and landscaping was done on facetime which was not terrible but also not what I envisioned when I decided to build from the ground up and yes a few things were not done to my complete liking and NO I won't elaborate.

Some selections and changes were done by texts and emails and which went very smooth but it still would have been nice to deal face to face with people.

One note I will mention I hired a home inspector, Jeff Terry, to inspect the house at various stages and was extremely happy with his service. He was able to identify a few issues that the builder was able to take care of before it led to a bigger problem.

As I said earlier it turn out very good and we are happy with our New Trusst home.

I hope this answeres your question

Old 09-14-2020, 06:31 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,387,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFD161 View Post
Hi beer belly - Sure. Right after the ground breaking the pandemic started. We had planned on coming down and inspecting the build every 3 weeks or so but that was now out of the question because of being quarantined so we had to be content with pictures, emails and texts from out builder (Trusst Builders Group). Our new neighbors where very helpful also and sent pictures and even facetimed us so we could dee what was happening.

Our Plumbing, electrical and landscaping was done on facetime which was not terrible but also not what I envisioned when I decided to build from the ground up and yes a few things were not done to my complete liking and NO I won't elaborate.

Some selections and changes were done by texts and emails and which went very smooth but it still would have been nice to deal face to face with people.

One note I will mention I hired a home inspector, Jeff Terry, to inspect the house at various stages and was extremely happy with his service. He was able to identify a few issues that the builder was able to take care of before it led to a bigger problem.

As I said earlier it turn out very good and we are happy with our New Trusst home.

I hope this answeres your question
I totally forgot how NC being on the Hot List would effect building. I like the idea of hiring an inspector to visit during construction.....very smart move.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 AM

25 posts, read 90,027 times
Congrats! We closed Aug 14, unfortunately i have to finish work in NH so other than the 9 glorious days I had after closing I will be in NH until October 9.
MY wife has stayed down there and has about 70 new friends/phone numbers despite a pandemic. She has used the pool as a great place to meet people so get there before it closes LOL. I think our build timing was great, hearing there are lots of back-orders on construction supplies, I think builds are going to take much longer to complete over the next year.
Trusst is great with the right foreman and I totally agree that Jeff Terry an absolute must as an inspector. If you get assigned one of their "weaker" foreman's you need to make sure you have flexibility on closing so you move in with a shorter list. We lucked out and had a fabulous foreman.

My wife and I already refer to it as "The Greatest Place on Earth" LOL so not doubting the decision AT ALL!

Old 09-21-2020, 06:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,238,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSVEN View Post
Congrats! We closed Aug 14, unfortunately i have to finish work in NH so other than the 9 glorious days I had after closing I will be in NH until October 9.
MY wife has stayed down there and has about 70 new friends/phone numbers despite a pandemic. She has used the pool as a great place to meet people so get there before it closes LOL. I think our build timing was great, hearing there are lots of back-orders on construction supplies, I think builds are going to take much longer to complete over the next year.
Trusst is great with the right foreman and I totally agree that Jeff Terry an absolute must as an inspector. If you get assigned one of their "weaker" foreman's you need to make sure you have flexibility on closing so you move in with a shorter list. We lucked out and had a fabulous foreman.

My wife and I already refer to it as "The Greatest Place on Earth" LOL so not doubting the decision AT ALL!
My wife and I did the Discovery weekend last week and really loved Compass Pointe. We have 5 years until we retire and want to look at a few more places in North and South Carolina before deciding.

Did you buy and sit on a lot for awhile? We are thinking of going that route if Compass Pointe remains tops on our list which I think it will just based on the research we have already done.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:31 AM

25 posts, read 90,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Did you buy and sit on a lot for awhile? We are thinking of going that route if Compass Pointe remains tops on our list which I think it will just based on the research we have already done.
Yes, we bought in 2017 with the idea we would move in 5-7 years, here we are 3 years later and just closed and happy we did it early.

Some communities limit how long you can hold the land and not build but CP does not have any limit. You do pay the HOA dues monthly owning land but is minimal cost overall and in our case we could have resold the land and had a profit even after the 3 years of dues.

Like everywhere, with the housing shortage, everything is hot and prices keep rising, as long as you have a house to sell to ride the housing market you should be insulated to any increase in building a house later as prices just seem to be straight up.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:31 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,238,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSVEN View Post
Yes, we bought in 2017 with the idea we would move in 5-7 years, here we are 3 years later and just closed and happy we did it early.

Some communities limit how long you can hold the land and not build but CP does not have any limit. You do pay the HOA dues monthly owning land but is minimal cost overall and in our case we could have resold the land and had a profit even after the 3 years of dues.

Like everywhere, with the housing shortage, everything is hot and prices keep rising, as long as you have a house to sell to ride the housing market you should be insulated to any increase in building a house later as prices just seem to be straight up.
Good to know about sitting on the lot.

We do have a house that will be paid off in 5 years so should work out well we figure with corresponding increase in value off setting increases in home building more or less.

Did you look at River Bluffs or Bluffs on Cape Fear?

Those are 2 other communities we may look at in Wilmington/Leland area. But just looking online it seems the amenities and location of Compass Pointe will be superior.

We looked at River Lights Del Webb and it was a little too cookie cutter but the amenities are nice. Brunswick Forest also seemed to have too many issues related to being overbuilt in regards to amenities, flooding concerns and possibility of bridge/highway bisecting community.

I think Compass Pointe will likely be the choice. May wait until lots open in the next phase after Timber Ridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina