Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,881 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My boyfriend (28) and I (31) are looking to relocate to North Carolina with our two dogs in 2020. We were both born and raised in the Exeter/Portsmouth area of New Hampshire, which is a very quaint but becoming increasingly expensive. And ideally, I would like to get to a more temperate climate. We've had enough of our long, New England grey sky winters! This is our number one reason for relocating. We're both drawn to the sound of the Carolinas.

It was originally recommended we check out the Wilmington area due to it's restaurants, boutiques and historic downtown. (Quite frankly it sounds like the Portsmouth, NH of North Carolina!) However, I've heard the Wilmington area can actually be quite boring for our demographic. We intend to have children in the next 3-5 years and enjoy kayaking, biking, and, arts/culture (mainly theaters) and walking trails. I'd prefer to be 45 minutes or less from the coast (we are more coastal people than Mountain). We also haven't ruled out South Carolina. We'll be looking for houses in the 350K to 400K price range with a half acre of land.

We'll be flying into Raleigh in three weeks and renting a car before heading south. Can anyone recommend any communities that sound like a good fit?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Last edited by Dorf.88; 09-12-2019 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 02:34 PM

176 posts, read 241,372 times
I can't think of many places in North Carolina that meet your criteria. Wilmington will have more things to do than any other place that I can think of that's within a 45 minute drive to the coast. You may want to look in South Carolina- Mount Pleasant, Charleston, perhaps Myrtle Beach? Also, the forum does not allow realtor recommendations. If you don't mind being a bit further from the coast you may want to look around Raleigh while you're there.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,653,071 times
Wilmington would not be boring for you. It has everything you're looking for.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:52 AM

25 posts, read 90,439 times
Do you both work from home or need to find jobs? We are relocating from NH to NC, a bit older than you (50) but for same reason as you. We both have ability to work from home which makes the place we move to more important than employment. We looked all over the country and settled outside Wilmington. One of those things is you visit and you just know it was the right place happened for us. If you need to find jobs that may determine your location. Wilmington area is full of "kayaking, biking, arts/culture (mainly theaters) and walking trails." so in terms of those activities don't think you would be bored.

I know several people that have moved to all parts of NC from NH area, including bringing young kids and raising them in Wilmington and every single one would do the move over and love the area they are in.

From Wilmington to Myrtle Beach is not a long drive and also gives you access to more touristy and kids/family day trips without having to live in a touristy town.

I'd suggest Leland or slightly west to minimize flooding/hurricane issues compared to Wilmington as global warming increases.

You can also look at towns west of Myrtle Beach in SC.

The only way you really know is to visit an area, get a feel for it, and then eliminate it or keep it on your list and do more research.

As a comparison to Portsmouth Wilmington is much bigger(2.5 times) and laid out a lot different and the river walk gives you more access to the water than you get in Portsmouth but in terms of restaurants, walking downtown, historic buildings etc it is similar in that way. My wife and I always said Wilmington is like Manchester NH, if Manchester NH was really nice. We actually like Manchester so it's not a dis on Manchester. It's got similar population to Manchester but about 20% bigger in terms of physical size.

Development is crazy in the area, housing prices are skyrocketing, it's a very hot area. I think your price range is reasonable in the Wilmington area depending on exactly what you want.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:21 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,545,802 times
There is nothing between Greenville (which is not a walkable town) and Wilmington that meets your qualifications. Eastern NC is basically a rural area between Raleigh and Wilmington. IMO, Wilmington does not meet your qualifications either. I have lived on the coast of NC and in Boston so I know both areas. Wilmington has a strong reputation as a retirement area for people who have lived in harsher Winter climates and of course, the beach is right there and fits the bill for most retired - cheaper than the NE warmer than the NE and there is the ocean. The area around Myrtle including Conway is always it seems to be having a growth spurt and not walkable at all and the traffic is horrible during the season and after. 100+ golf courses if that is your thing. The news leaked out 20+ years ago about NC. As far as walkability, weather (all the Summers in any area of the SE are hot humid and buggy) Charleston is #1 but if you do not mind living a few miles away the options are many. It is sub tropical and the Summers are long and hot, and humid just like Wilmington.
Not much help am I?

Old 09-20-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
There is nothing between Greenville (which is not a walkable town) and Wilmington that meets your qualifications. Eastern NC is basically a rural area between Raleigh and Wilmington. IMO, Wilmington does not meet your qualifications either. I have lived on the coast of NC and in Boston so I know both areas. Wilmington has a strong reputation as a retirement area for people who have lived in harsher Winter climates and of course, the beach is right there and fits the bill for most retired - cheaper than the NE warmer than the NE and there is the ocean. The area around Myrtle including Conway is always it seems to be having a growth spurt and not walkable at all and the traffic is horrible during the season and after. 100+ golf courses if that is your thing. The news leaked out 20+ years ago about NC. As far as walkability, weather (all the Summers in any area of the SE are hot humid and buggy) Charleston is #1 but if you do not mind living a few miles away the options are many. It is sub tropical and the Summers are long and hot, and humid just like Wilmington.
Not much help am I?
You certainly aren't, and you're also very wrong about Wilmington (as usual). The OP didn't ask for "walkability", but instead asked for "walking trails", which Wilmington, and the Wilmington area, have in abundance.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,117,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
You certainly aren't, and you're also very wrong about Wilmington (as usual). The OP didn't ask for "walkability", but instead asked for "walking trails", which Wilmington, and the Wilmington area, have in abundance.
He is kinda right about Greenville though. Greenville does have some walking trails and are working towards building more. It certainly doesn't have an overabundance of them though. You can live in Greenville without a car. There are a lot of shops, restaurants, some cultural stuff in downtown Greenville. What you can't find in downtown is easily accessible via a bus system that goes to all of the hot spots around Greenville. There are taxis, Uber and Lyft as well as bike sharing.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
He is kinda right about Greenville though. Greenville does have some walking trails and are working towards building more. It certainly doesn't have an overabundance of them though. You can live in Greenville without a car. There are a lot of shops, restaurants, some cultural stuff in downtown Greenville. What you can't find in downtown is easily accessible via a bus system that goes to all of the hot spots around Greenville. There are taxis, Uber and Lyft as well as bike sharing.
Its also 2 hours from the beach, versus 45 minutes or less as requested by the OP. And the OP gave no indication of wanting to live without a car.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:14 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,117,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Its also 2 hours from the beach, versus 45 minutes or less as requested by the OP. And the OP gave no indication of wanting to live without a car.
So what's your point? I was just clearing up some popular misconceptions about Greenville. I wasn't suggesting that anybody move anywhere or that anybody should live without a car.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
So what's your point? I was just clearing up some popular misconceptions about Greenville. I wasn't suggesting that anybody move anywhere or that anybody should live without a car.
LOL, you literally said "You can live in Greenville without a car." And this thread is about someone's request for information because they're looking to move to NC, not a thread about general information regarding Greenville. If your post has nothing to do with the topic of the thread, why why chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina