Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 07:05 PM

385 posts, read 441,158 times

Advertisements

We are setting up a tiny house to live in while we build our new house, and I was hoping to get recommendations/referrals to contractors who can tap water/sewer, place a concrete/brick foundation (like mobile homes in the area are required to have), and set up power service.

Internet searches have been less than helpful, and since we are new to the area, we don't really know anyone.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
You can call Jon's Gutters at 252-917-2426. Don't let the name fool you, they do a whole lot more than just gutter work.

Why are you literally going through the entire process of setting a tiny house for a temporary home? You will have to go through the same permitting processes as a full sized home. Single wide and double wide mobile homes aren't on a full foundation. They're required to be set on cinderblock piers and be secured to the ground. Skirting of any type is acceptable, it doesn't have to be brick.

There are many, many nice rental homes in Pitt County. It seems to me that it would be significantly cheaper to rent a home while your new residence is built.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why are you literally going through the entire process of setting a tiny house for a temporary home? You will have to go through the same permitting processes as a full sized home. Single wide and double wide mobile homes aren't on a full foundation. They're required to be set on cinderblock piers and be secured to the ground. Skirting of any type is acceptable, it doesn't have to be brick.

There are many, many nice rental homes in Pitt County. It seems to me that it would be significantly cheaper to rent a home while your new residence is built.
Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. I will follow up.

Not sure how much the city or the county requires brick skirting, but a number of the newer MH subdivisions require it. I have come across plenty of lot listings on Zillow and Realtor.com that absolutely say the restriction to putting a MH on a lot is that it must have brick skirting (on slab). HUD/FHA recommend them for stabilizing home values so they have become popular. I have to admit the curb appeal is much nicer with the brick skirting...but...Trust me, most people would skip paying extra for that foundation if it weren't a requirement.

In any case, this is a tiny home, not a manufactured mobile home, and the tiny home will be converted into a workshop and playhouse for the kids once the big house is built. The county considers it "mobile" merely because it was built in a different location and is being moved to the site (our lot). It has no wheels or chassis, and just a normal (though thicker) subfloor.

It is significantly cheaper to do it this way. Not paying anyone rent (and having them steal my deposit) and re-purposing the building is well worth the up-front costs. We are building our own home (acting as the general contractor) over the next 6mos or so. Renting just wasn't the best idea. At least in the end, we have a building we need and will use.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM

35 posts, read 46,838 times
If the house is being manufactured at a factory or off site, I would think that would be considered a modular home. There may be different regulations for that vs typical MH. I would keep looking for a contractor that has done this before in your area. Good luck and enjoy the process!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgyver View Post
If the house is being manufactured at a factory or off site, I would think that would be considered a modular home. There may be different regulations for that vs typical MH. I would keep looking for a contractor that has done this before in your area. Good luck and enjoy the process!
I agree with you, but the Planners office didn't make the distinction either way...yet (modular vs MH).

Old 10-15-2019, 04:28 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,832,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgyver View Post
If the house is being manufactured at a factory or off site, I would think that would be considered a modular home.
They were when my grandmother worked for mobile home dealerships (they also sold modulars). Granted, she retired in 2006, so things may have changed since then.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:45 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
Not sure how much the city or the county requires brick skirting, but a number of the newer MH subdivisions require it. I have come across plenty of lot listings on Zillow and Realtor.com that absolutely say the restriction to putting a MH on a lot is that it must have brick skirting (on slab). HUD/FHA recommend them for stabilizing home values so they have become popular. I have to admit the curb appeal is much nicer with the brick skirting...but...Trust me, most people would skip paying extra for that foundation if it weren't a requirement.
Are you sure that we're talking about Greenville, NC. Pitt County NC? I'm not aware of any new MH subdivisions in this area. The reason for that is because the requirements for a MH subdivision are stringent. Concrete or masonary patios and sidewalks are required. Paved roads, street lights, lot sizes etc. Since I've moved here in 2006 all I've seen happen is mobile home parks being removed. There's about to be a MH park removed off of NC 43 South in Bells Fork.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time about this but what you're saying doesn't make sense when you look at the building codes.

In-so-far as the brick skirting, here is what the Greenville, NC code reads: Mobile homes shall, upon installation, have either a permanent, continuous masonry foundation, or a continuous and opaque skirt consisting of vinyl, fiberglass or other similar solid nonmetal material. The skirt for a mobile home shall be attached to weather resistant material when required for support.

This can be found on page 9-144 of the Greenville, NC code available at American Legal Publishing - Online Library

I suggest calling the planning and zoning department for wherever you're planning to place your small house before buying anything. It doesn't cost anything to call them and you will get accurate information the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina