Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,722 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate from Salt Lake City, Utah to the east coast. I want warmer weather and I have narrowed my search to North or South Carolina but I am having trouble narrowing down the cities. I am looking for a coastal community with year-round residents, not just seasonal residents. I have 2 kids, elementary and high school so community and schools are very important. I would love some recommendations of cities, areas, towns etc.

I will be taking a trip this spring and would love to visit several areas and find the right one for my family. I have a good career and work from home, however, I always want to stay near a solid job market just in case things change.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 06:12 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
In addition to the SC and NC/VA communities I'll mention I highly recommend Kingsland-St Mary's GA. It's a beautiful area with good schools, similar climate, much less risk for hurricanes than the NC or SC coastal areas, and just outside the thriving/rapidly growing job market in Jacksonville FL. https://visitstmarys.com/ Kingsland DDA

There are a couple of areas in SC I'd recommend focusing on. Summerville-Goose Creek or Mount Pleasant, both of which are just outside Charleston. Again good schools and close proximity to Charleston for work if needed.

One more area that skirts your focus states is Virginia Beach VA, just above the NC state line. You have the advantage of a larger job market on hand if needed, very good schools and a diminished hurricane risk than points south in NC and SC.

Old 01-06-2021, 09:08 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieslc View Post
..... I am looking for a coastal community with year-round residents, not just seasonal residents. I have 2 kids, elementary and high school so community and schools are very important. I would love some recommendations of cities, areas, towns etc.
Wilmington and Jacksonville are really the only "coastal" cities with solid job markets. Jacksonville is heavily dependent on the Marines and Navy, so it helps to have the skills and clearances they want. The beaches are at Emerald Isle and the Topsail Island towns.

Wilmington has larger and more diverse job market. Healthcare, education and hospitality-related skills are in demand. There is also engineering and legal work. Wages are not great because it is a popular area for new graduates who want to work there. Wilmington has a scenic and historic downtown as well as very nice suburbs. The beaches are at Wrightsville or Carolina Beach.

Both areas have decent schools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-06-2021 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM

405 posts, read 316,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieslc View Post
I am looking to relocate from Salt Lake City, Utah to the east coast. I want warmer weather and I have narrowed my search to North or South Carolina but I am having trouble narrowing down the cities. I am looking for a coastal community with year-round residents, not just seasonal residents. I have 2 kids, elementary and high school so community and schools are very important. I would love some recommendations of cities, areas, towns etc.

I will be taking a trip this spring and would love to visit several areas and find the right one for my family. I have a good career and work from home, however, I always want to stay near a solid job market just in case things change.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Have you ever been to coastal NC or SC ? Coming from Salt Lake City, you will find it to be a huge culture shock. I recommend Charleston SC if you are set on moving to coastal NC-SC.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:14 AM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Wilmington.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:50 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Be prepared for sticker shock while looking at the Charleston area.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:56 PM

405 posts, read 316,855 times
Per “Best Places” 2021 report:

Charleston is 6.2% less expensive than Salt Lake City.
Charleston housing costs are 19.3% less expensive than Salt Lake City housing costs.
Health related expenses are 3.3% less in Charleston.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 23,187 times
I sent you a message!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 962 times
Default SC Vs NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Have you ever been to coastal NC or SC ? Coming from Salt Lake City, you will find it to be a huge culture shock. I recommend Charleston SC if you are set on moving to coastal NC-SC.

I think we have narrowed our searches to around Myrtle Bch, SC, just north into coastal NC or Belhaven / Bath, NC but am still not clear on tax rates , possibilities of renting out the property part time, cultural differences between the areas ?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-22-2021, 04:21 AM

231 posts, read 234,051 times
Very different areas is terms of population, access to amenities, cost of housing, etc. Belhaven has a population of about 1,700 people, with 1 grocery store. Bath is tiny...less than 300 people. Frankly I can't imagine moving to either place, especially with school aged children.

Southern Brunswick County is more populated and has much better access to shopping, healthcare, etc., but its population is heavily skewed towards retirees. To be honest, both these locations strike me as odd choices for you, and I urge to you actually visit them before making a decision.

As others have said, Charleston and Wilmington sound like much better choices for you.

For NC school information, this is a great resource: https://ncreports.ondemand.sas.com/src/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina