Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 03:55 PM

113 posts, read 187,412 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move from zone 7 in the northwest suburbs of DC to Leland. I recall years ago my sister-in-law saying that she couldn't grow peonies in Wilmington because it wasn't cold enough long enough.

I'm wondering about whether some of the bulbs I'm growing now will work there and would be glad to hear from gardeners in the area. Are you growing daffodils (e.g., Ice Follies, Ehrlicheer)? Tulips? Asiatic and oriental lilies? Bearded iris? Crocosmia? Red hot poker?

I'm guessing I can continue to grow echinacea and rudbeckia. Right?

And as so annuals, do your zinnias get a lot of powdery mildew due to humidity?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 04:28 PM

231 posts, read 237,642 times
Contact these folks: https://bcmastergardenerva.org/

Old 03-23-2021, 07:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,092,433 times
We recently relocated to a more coastal area of NC than Leland and have found the Master Gardeners in Brunswick Co. to be a wonderful resource. I am currently taking an online class taught by this group.

https://bcmastergardenerva.org/

It is beneficial to find out what your soil consists of (the extension service will soil test for you) and then you can plant to suit or augment.
Lilac typically doesn't do well here but coral honeysuckle, carolina jessamine and american wisteria do. It is fun finding the plants that love it here.

Coneflowers and blue flag iris do well here.

My zinnias did well here too! Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:02 PM

425 posts, read 423,570 times
I'm about 25 miles west of Charlotte where zone 7b transitions to 8a. It can be interesting to have some extra yard to just throw seed into, and see what you get.

I put some midwestern wildflower mix into a corner of my property several years ago, to stabilize a wash area that was eroding. The grey headed coneflower, wild bergamot and cup plant (Silphium perfoliatum) all naturalized there. I still occasionally see some purple echinacea, sweet William, and Shasta daisies pop up here and there. And some bits of hoary skullcap and blue vervain hanging on in the dampest end of this planting.

I did the same on a drier, sunnier slope, and it regrows lots of bergamot too - along with butterfly weed and wild indigo. Plus common "weed flowers" like black eyed susans and coreopsis.

Last edited by SGMI; 03-23-2021 at 09:12 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 06:13 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,219,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigPlantWeed View Post
We are contemplating a move from zone 7 in the northwest suburbs of DC to Leland. I recall years ago my sister-in-law saying that she couldn't grow peonies in Wilmington because it wasn't cold enough long enough.

I'm wondering about whether some of the bulbs I'm growing now will work there and would be glad to hear from gardeners in the area. Are you growing daffodils (e.g., Ice Follies, Ehrlicheer)? Tulips? Asiatic and oriental lilies? Bearded iris? Crocosmia? Red hot poker?

I'm guessing I can continue to grow echinacea and rudbeckia. Right?

And as so annuals, do your zinnias get a lot of powdery mildew due to humidity?

Thanks!
Partial answers-- Daffodils do great. I have never tried tulips because I read it does not get cold enough. Asiatic lillies buds are consumed by deer, so I would not attempt them again. I am switching to bearded iris because reportedly, deer leave them alone.

Haven't tried the other bulbs, but I rely on Brent and Becky's Bulbs as a supplier, not the neighborhood Lowe's.

A friend has camellias, and they do great. I remember 1976 in Silver Spring when the cold destroyed a 30-year old camellia bush.

Regarding annuals, I have had no luck with zinnias or marigolds, as something eats them at the root. Maybe rabbits?

Old 03-24-2021, 08:01 AM

1,013 posts, read 734,676 times
We are in Brunswick county, close to Southport and have peonies growing and blooming.

Deer leave our daffodils, hyacinth and iris alone. Never tried tulips because up north deer and/or rabbits ate them.

Our camellia had a standout bloom this year. Haven’t tried many annuals. Many yards have spectacular hydrangeas in the area. Different climate and soil, different flowers. Mostly I miss the old-fashioned lilacs and their fragrance. They need some cold weather to do well.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:14 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,092,433 times
I was told by one of the Master Gardeners (who moved to NC from the NE) that us northerners try to grow lilac here without success
She suggested Carolina Jessamine, Coral Honeysuckle and American Wisteria as replacements for lilac.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:56 PM

1,013 posts, read 734,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I was told by one of the Master Gardeners (who moved to NC from the NE) that us northerners try to grow lilac here without success
She suggested Carolina Jessamine, Coral Honeysuckle and American Wisteria as replacements for lilac.
Thank you!

Old 03-24-2021, 03:56 PM

176 posts, read 243,257 times
I once read that the trick to getting lilacs to bloom in the South was to take away their water in the winter. I never tried it, so I don't know if it works. I've tried some of the Southern varieties such as Miss Kim and the dwarf Korean lilac, but their blooms just don't do much for me. The closest looking bush/ tree to a lilac (to me) in the South is the Chaste Tree and it does very well- just doesn't smell the same.

I find that central Carolina and coastal are far different in what thrives. Not so much in the small zone difference, but the soil. This sandy soil is really hard!! I have not had luck with tulips, but I think the bulbs always get eaten, but some daffodils are fine. I would probably stick to some of the earlier blooming varieties since it gets hot so quickly. My neighbors who are not in town much have beautiful irises and lilies that bloom consistently and they totally neglect their yard. However, they do have them in raised beds. What I have found does the very best in all my beds- unfortunately are weeds!!!! they grow like crazy

Old 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM

113 posts, read 187,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
Plus common "weed flowers" like black eyed susans and coreopsis.
Blasphemy! To a Marylander anyway. Black-eyed susans a "weed flower"??? Wash your mouth out with soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina