Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 04:39 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,429,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
I don't think any houses at the Preserve at Fisher Landing hasn't started construction yet, but I can drive by and look. I doubt seriously it will attract any more families with children than any other subdivision in Southport...there simply aren't many families.
There are a few under construction. We were there last week and were seriously considering moving there. Met with the builder’s agent etc. There will be a total of 45 homes I believe. The smallest is 1685 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and an office/den. The floor plan was nice but the living area was small. The ones that are currently under construction have pretty undesirable lots, tiny, sloped and appear that water drainage may be problem after a lengthy rain. Lots further back on Spincast are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 05:52 AM

176 posts, read 240,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
There are a few under construction. We were there last week and were seriously considering moving there. Met with the builder’s agent etc. There will be a total of 45 homes I believe. The smallest is 1685 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and an office/den. The floor plan was nice but the living area was small. The ones that are currently under construction have pretty undesirable lots, tiny, sloped and appear that water drainage may be problem after a lengthy rain. Lots further back on Spincast are nice.
We drove through just to see the status. I think the developer may have brought in a lot of fill dirt as that area is quite low. I agree that water drainage could be a problem. The land they are building the townhomes on actually seems better.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:52 PM

39 posts, read 53,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No, I have not been in Southport recently. But, searching on Realtor, there are very few 4 bedroom homes *except* new construction places. The OP said they had 3 kids so I thought they might want the extra bedroom. A Realtor cannot legally steer them away from retiree-oriented places like Brunswick Forest and St James, so I thought the OP should use another way to find "family" neighborhoods.

I know they also did not want a "cookie-cutter" development. There is a cute, small cape-cod with 4 BR in a non-development area of Southport. Otherwise, there are some larger custom homes where a rec-room could be subdivided for two kids. There are also places on Oak Island that might work.

If I knew where the husband's job was, I might not have suggested Wilmington. Others have suggested the commute would be too far from Wilmington.
The job is at the Brunswick Nuclear Plant. We are relocating the beginning of June & taking a trip shortly to find a rental. I appreciate being pointed in the direction of neighborhoods that aren’t known for being retirement communities.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
I don't think any houses at the Preserve at Fisher Landing hasn't started construction yet, but I can drive by and look. I doubt seriously it will attract any more families with children than any other subdivision in Southport...there simply aren't many families.
There have to be families somewhere. The elementary school has roughly 100 kids per class, and pulls from a small area, so families have to live somewhere. If you hear of any I’d appreciate you passing it along. I don’t want to end up being the neighbors every one hates because of the 8 year old boy who moved in next door & his friends are little boys riding their bikes around etc. & I ruined their serenity.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
From the Google street-view, I agree that it is a charming, compact close-in neighborhood. I think the OP would like the variety of houses, but nothing is for sale there currently.

I wish the OP had mentioned their budget. There are some 4-5 bedroom houses on Oak Island and Caswell Beach with largeish lots, but they are $500K and upwards.
Our budget is around 400k. It’s flexible, but as we have 2 kids about to go off to college we are taking the opportunity to downsize our mortgage as it’s our intent to pay for college & want to stay close to that range.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:15 PM

231 posts, read 234,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
There have to be families somewhere. The elementary school has roughly 100 kids per class, and pulls from a small area, so families have to live somewhere. If you hear of any I’d appreciate you passing it along. I don’t want to end up being the neighbors every one hates because of the 8 year old boy who moved in next door & his friends are little boys riding their bikes around etc. & I ruined their serenity.
Oh there are families, but there isn't a neighborhood that I'm aware of that has much of a concentration of them. S'port elementary has less than 600 students, and covers all of Southport, Caswell Beach, Oak Island and a good chunk of unincorporated area. Thats not a high density of students.

I think I mentioned looking at Boiling Spring Lakes earlier. In Southport, Harbor Oaks and Turtlewwood might be worth looking into.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:53 PM

176 posts, read 240,027 times
Also, maybe add Rivermist.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM

231 posts, read 234,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkjewel View Post
I know they have started the townhomes and since they have about 8 homesites sold in the single family area I think they may have started them also. But I agree with you BB, there just aren't many families with kids in Southport. I believe we have 2 families (and one of them just moved in) with kids in my neighborhood of about 100 homes.

I still think Harbour Oaks is a good place to look. but homes are selling quickly these days, so if something comes up of interest you need to jump on it fast.
Rode through Fisher's Landing today...there are 5 SFH under construction.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,278,670 times
My granddaughter lives in Southport and her mom grew up on Oak Island. I'm flying down there next week for a few days and will ask the family for their opinions. They lived in Boiling Springs years ago and I think my son worked at that nuclear power plant. I'll see what I can find out for you. They love it in Southport and Oak Island is beautiful.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:11 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,865,388 times
Im going to make what some might think is a surprising suggestion, but I believe it is what I would do.

I would move to Wilmington and not Southport. I would rent for a few years while the kids finish High School. And commute, even if the commute may suck sometimes.

Then, once the kids are out of high school, I would look at buying in the Southport area and relocating. If the job is going well.

If you move to Southport with high school age kids, you will spend A LOT of time commuting to Wilmington for stuff. Trust me.

That being said, Southport is a really good place to end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina