Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2021, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,811 times

Advertisements

This is going to be quite broad, and I'll be posting this similar post in other cities. I currently live in northeast Ohio. Small town, population of less than 20k.
I am looking to leave these winters behind. I am used to hot/humid summers and can tolerate that. From what I have read on these forums is NC gets minimal snow, but does get ice. Is the ice a frequent thing like snow in Ohio, or just random storms? Does this apply to SC also? What about the coastal areas?

I work in healthcare and am searching hospitals for jobs, then search those areas for housing and research the cities a bit.

I am late 30's. One adult child will be coming as well, in the near future.

I'm looking to rent at least the first year until I get comfortable in the area I relocate to. I'm not opposed to continuing to rent, I don't have a ton of interest in being a home owner for personal reasons. I need a 2 bedroom apt., not opposed to larger depending on cost, and I prefer in unit laundry.

Safety is an obvious concern as well. I read "drugs are bad" in several areas- working in healthcare I can say I see drugs are bad in many areas, small town or big city.

I am realizing I live in a very affordable area as I do searches, or wonder if there are other websites beside apartments/forrent/zillow to find apartment rentals. I'd prefer to be under $900 a month.

The size of the location is not a big deal. I grew up in a much smaller town than where I currently reside. I am not opposed to driving -currently, I am close to my work, but travel 30-45 minutes often for shopping/dining/activities. I am not opposed to driving that distance for work as well, if it allows for more affordable housing.

Areas I'm looking into thus far, but open to suggestions (assuming their are jobs nearby).
Charlotte, New Bern
Columbia, Rock Hill

Try not to be too critical of my post- preparing to relocate is a bit overwhelming as far as research goes. I'm searching for feedback on housing- different ways to find affordable apartments/ houses for rent. Any feedback on different neighborhoods/areas would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 10:35 AM

13,378 posts, read 27,097,289 times
New Bern is a good option, but healthcare jobs are limited. I suggest also looking in Jacksonville and Wilmington as well.
Other rental options include Craigslist for ENC and MiltaryByOwner. You might find a small townhouse in your budget.
We have occasional ice or snow on the coast. It is random, not regular. It would help to have a 4 wheel-drive vehicle if you are on-call.
BTW, it would be hard to find a $900 apartment in a safe area of Charlotte. Rock Hill might be a good option.
I also suggest looking at Winston-Salem for healthcare jobs as it has a medical school.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-08-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina