Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 06:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times

Advertisements

I don’t think you’ll replicate Cape Cod anywhere. The New England feel is unique to….New England.

That being said, the beaches as a whole are nicer than the beaches on Cape Cod or the New England coast. Plus you can actually get in the water which is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:35 AM

188 posts, read 153,391 times
I, and then later my family and I, have been coming to the Outer Banks for a week each summer (actually, in mid-September) for years. I did a few years of sharing a large group house with friends in Kitty Hawk or Nags Head, but then headed all the way down south to Hatteras Village, and that's where the fam and I have stayed each year ever since, renting an oceanfront house.

It is a whole different Outer Banks down there, and we love the slower pace and less chain-store-commercialization vibe. Getting our butts kicked by the locals at the veterans benefit cornhole tournament held at the old Hatterasman (was so sad to see that place close!) while enjoying beers and fried fish was always a highlight.

My sister in particular loves it there, and I have toyed with the idea of retiring there, or perhaps Manteo, which I also love, but . . .

That level of "remote" is fabulous for a week, but living it day-to-day, year-round has got to be a different beast. And having to accept that in any year, it is quite possible that my home and everything I own will be destroyed by a hurricane -- not sure I can do that. We've had to evacuate a few times during our vacations, and every time, I think about what it must be like for the residents.

It is a wonderful, beautiful, fragile place, and I will continue to enjoy it for as many years as I can, but I think it will likely always be as only a temporary visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina